Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Goodbye Pentax

I knew this day was coming but I didn't think it would be this soon. One of my issues with Pentax has always been with the lack of industry standard tethering. I bought the K-1 with the hope that I will have peace of mind when it comes to that even though I knew not having support for Capture One was not the greatest thing...

Last month I did a lookbook for a client that wasn't adamant on having tethering on set. But I tried it anyway so I can check on the first few sets of pictures for each look. It was a complete nightmare. Pictures were slow to get to my tethering station and at time it would stop working completely... After that, I had to pass on another job just because the digitech I was going to work with only has a Capture One workflow.

I learned photography with the K100D and every pictures in my portfolio were made with a Pentax... The K-1, which I bought a few months ago, has been the most amazing camera I've ever used. But for where my career is going, I have to let it go and switch to Canon. I'll keep an eye out on Ricoh tho to see if they'll take the necessary steps to catch up with the industry when it comes to tethering. For now, I have to say goodbye.

Ed

Last edited by photolady95; 02-05-2017 at 07:29 AM. Reason: removed personal link
02-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hopefully we'll see you back someday.
02-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EdMaximus Quote
I have to let it go and switch to Canon.

Ed
Hi Ed. There are numerous support groups for help with this. I know :-) But I still hang out here.
02-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes tethering is a known issue. Not much to do about it other than switch if you need that. Best wishes!

02-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fully understand your reasons. No bad vibes here and may the Schwartz be with you always!
02-04-2017, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You can still hang about , I get why you are leaving though, right tool for the job. Maybe they will get tethering right on the next gen k1
Good luck with the career
02-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

Best of luck!

02-04-2017, 12:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best of luck. Canons eco-system is all geared for Studio or controlled environment shoots and I don't blame you. The chances are you can get the job done regardless of the image quality which may matter the most from what I can tell from your situation.
Pentax never bothered to serve that user base. Their user base is landscape photographers, the outdoor kinds. So if I would not be surprised if you never come back to the Pentax system. Having said that do you have a 24-70 that you want to get rid of at a throw away price?? I will let you be the quarter back in that case and I will be the receiver.

-- Rise Up.
02-04-2017, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buh bye.
02-04-2017, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #10

I never knew there was an industry standard for tethering or tethering software.

What organization maintains those standards and where are they published?
02-04-2017, 12:57 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For now, I have to say goodbye.
You are a professional that needs the right tool for the job. That is an entirely logical and consistent set of decision making, so all the best as you progress with your work.

Can I suggest that you stay engaged here. This is a community, and you are part of it. Just because you have picked up a different tool to do the job you need to do - doesn't mean you have to leave this community.

Cheers

Ross
02-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #12

I am planning on specializing in headshots. I wish I could tether my K-3 but I don't even have a laptop. I am however getting tired of looking at the back of my LCD to review the lighting and correct imperfections. I am planning on buying a portable monitor that I can connect to my HDMI output and have a larger image to review to make corrections or quickly show a client. I know it's a jpeg preview,but at least it let's me know if I am in the ballpark. In short I hope Pentax realizes that they make an excellent portrait camera and we need tethering support. I would hate to leave pentax if my demand increases and tethering makes it a deal breaker.

If I ever left, Canon too would be my choice.

Best of luck.
02-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll try to stick around. I still think highly of Pentax for the value it offers and this community has been a great resource for me over the years... I might even keep my old K3/77mm kit. I'll post the K1 and a couple of lenses on the store soon if anyone wants to grab them.

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
...Having said that do you have a 24-70 that you want to get rid of at a throw away price?? I will let you be the quarter back in that case and I will be the receiver.
I didn't buy the 24-70 yet. I've been renting it for every big job. I handle my regular shooting with the 77mm mostly.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I never knew there was an industry standard for tethering or tethering software.
What organization maintains those standards and where are they published?
Hmmm. I wouldn't think we need an organization for that when there's only two viable options (LR and C1). Every digitech and studio use C1 for tethering and cringe at the thought of using LR because of its instability.
02-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Ed, I checked out your website. Wow, you are certainly a photographer with creativity and a keen eye for composition!

I am sure that you would excel using any camera system you'd choose.

It will be our loss if you leave this community. Let's hope that a future new Pentax digital camera better meets your needs and brings you back into the Pentax world again.
02-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I might even keep my old K3/77mm kit
If anything I'd keep the FA77mm and the K-1, I love that combination, I've rented it several times, but to each his own.

Very nice shots on your website.