Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #1

K100D problem with LCD going dark

Hi, while I'm in the menu or fn session, my LCD screen will sometime just go blank before I'm finished with the session. I will have to push the menu or fn again to complete whatever changes that I was trying to make. I know this is a bug but not too bad that I will sent it back to Pentax for warranty. I did upgrade to the 1.02 firmware but did not fix this problem.

02-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome

While you are holding your camera fiddling with Fn or Menu, do you have your index finger near the shutter? The camera will often turn off the screen if you even brush the shutter button slightly, if you know what I mean.

The menus were created that way so that you don't miss any action. "Shooting priority" as Nikon would put it. But I don't know how Pentax would refer to it. If you are digging through the menu, and all of a sudden see something you don't want to miss, simply bring the camera up and fire. You don't have to fiddle with the camera to get out of the menu.
02-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i think alvin is on the right track here.. a downside of the ability to intantly take pictures is probaby u lose the menue sometimes when u dont want to..

trog
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Welcome

While you are holding your camera fiddling with Fn or Menu, do you have your index finger near the shutter? The camera will often turn off the screen if you even brush the shutter button slightly, if you know what I mean.

The menus were created that way so that you don't miss any action. "Shooting priority" as Nikon would put it. But I don't know how Pentax would refer to it. If you are digging through the menu, and all of a sudden see something you don't want to miss, simply bring the camera up and fire. You don't have to fiddle with the camera to get out of the menu.
No, I'm pretty sure I am not touching the shutter button. I just think I have a slight defect with my camera that I can live with. The problem is intermitent, sometime, the menu and fn work perfectly while other the screen just go blank within a few seconds, sometimes, it stays on for longer and than goes blank. I cannot detect a pattern of why it is happening.

02-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #5

Which lens?

This problem is know to pop up with eg Sigma 24-135/2.8-4.5 lens (non-rechipped) :-(

Best and happy shooting, JR (lucky me, mine is OK...)
02-17-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanguy Quote
No, I'm pretty sure I am not touching the shutter button. I just think I have a slight defect with my camera that I can live with. The problem is intermitent, sometime, the menu and fn work perfectly while other the screen just go blank within a few seconds, sometimes, it stays on for longer and than goes blank. I cannot detect a pattern of why it is happening.
*examining my camera a couple hundred times*

Have you tried a reset? Menu > Setup > Reset

Perhaps a menu item that was changed?

I'm probing. Like I like to tinker, so I've got an itch to try different things. So forgive me if I come up with off the wall suggestions, like this:

Gentle shake of the camera for rattles (other than the sensor, which should be obvious)?

I can't think of anything else other than calling Pentax for some more support if the problem gets very annoying.
02-17-2007, 05:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
This problem is know to pop up with eg Sigma 24-135/2.8-4.5 lens (non-rechipped) :-(

Best and happy shooting, JR (lucky me, mine is OK...)
Never thought about that one...

Check your lens contacts? Remount the lens just to be certain.
Was the flash up or down?

LOL - I'll stop here.
02-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My K100D does that when the batteries are getting low. When I recharge, the problem goes away.

02-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I have not encountered this problem, I don't think it is a systemic problem addressable by a firmware update. (But I'm a photographer, not a techie or engineer so what do I know?)

The only time I have problems with the LCD screen going dark is when I have the CS-205 (I think that's the right model number) plugged in. Simple fix is to partially pull the plug when viewing the LCD.
02-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Along these lines: tinkering and resetting. From time to time I find it incredibly helpfull to remove all batteries and allow the camera to 'rest for an hour or even overnight.

After replacing/reinstalling new batteries or newly charged batteries, perform a complete 'factory reset' via the main menu and also on any custom functions.

I've used this method to clear a number of problems on *ist-D, DL, K100 and K10. It seems to function a lot like defraging a PC after sorting My Documents and removing unused items--a general house cleaning sort of thing.
02-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #11

Original Poster
Tired all the suggestions with reset, taking out the batteries, shaking the camera . swearing at it but the Gramlin is still there. Oh well, might sent it back to Pentax if it gets worst but so far, I can live with it.