Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 06:42 AM   #1

K200D Autfocus Problems

Yesterday when I tried to take a picture with my Kit lens the camera could not autoocus. It makes a wizzing sound but the focus ring does not even move. Is it a common problem? Is it that I am not attaching the lens correctly. i made sure to connect the red dots and attach it.

Thanks for your help.

08-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by josekj Quote
Yesterday when I tried to take a picture with my Kit lens the camera could not autoocus. It makes a wizzing sound but the focus ring does not even move. Is it a common problem? Is it that I am not attaching the lens correctly. i made sure to connect the red dots and attach it.

Thanks for your help.
What were the lighting conditions ? Was it very dark or indoors ?
If so, try to pop-up the flash and see if autofocus works.
08-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well I played with the kit lens to make sure it was completely in place and then took the picture and it worked. I think some loose contact. It was indoors and the room was fairly dark.

Thanks for your help
08-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Answer

QuoteOriginally posted by josekj Quote

Thanks for your help.
Very probably the AF screw couplers (male and female) were not in position and thus not coupling well. The body screw was just dwelling the mount so you just here the wizzing sound.

To avoid the problem, mount your lens gently and don't overshoot. Stop once you hear the click sound.

To re-produce the problem, press the lens release lock and mount your lens, try to mount by turning to the extreme end (where there is some plays after the click position if you don't press the lens release lock) or just a little bit incomplete but the electronic contacts (pairs for the body's and the lens') are still in contact. Then you will see the same problem again.