Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #1

k10d firmware 1.2

I think the "preview" lever by the power switch should work in the following way:

When in "digital preview" flipping this lever displays histogram data, distributed between 2 screens. The composite histogram should be shown in conjunction with the color histograms, as it currently is on one screen. It should be eliminated on the the other screen and replaced with a vertical row of options as below. Please see attached (crude) JPEG.

1) White balance- make this dial adjustable from 2500-10000K with optional fine tuning, as allowed under the "Fn" menu. No need for "taste" options

2) Saturation, Sharpness, and Contrast- as seen under the "menu" button. Currently, I can't see in real time the effect of adjusting the settings under "menu".

Also, the white balance editor in the JPEG developer under "Fn" should allow for dial adjustable Kelvin settings. As is stands, only the 3 that were chosen in the white balance settings are displayed. Furthermore, the white balance should be Kelvin adjustable in the "Digital Filter" under "menu" when editing JPEGs in camera.

I think that these additions would greatly enhance an already super camera.

John

Attached Images

02-17-2007, 11:49 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote

1) White balance- make this dial adjustable from 2500-10000K with optional fine tuning, as allowed under the "Fn" menu. No need for "taste" options John
I have a K10d and do not have a white balance dial. Are you suggesting they add one?
02-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dont they pretty much already have this? In the white balance menu you can turn the preview switch and get a digital preview of the setting you have and make adjustments to it. It works no matter which preview mode you are in. I realize that this means hitting the Fn button, but that doesn't seem too difficult. Then again, I didn't think that changing the ISO was very difficult but I sure like the new way even better. Before you know it there won't be a need for the Fn (eff-en) button.
02-17-2007, 03:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Dont they pretty much already have this? In the white balance menu you can turn the preview switch and get a digital preview of the setting you have and make adjustments to it. It works no matter which preview mode you are in. I realize that this means hitting the Fn button, but that doesn't seem too difficult. Then again, I didn't think that changing the ISO was very difficult but I sure like the new way even better. Before you know it there won't be a need for the Fn (eff-en) button.
True- and as of now, that's how I do it. However, with this addition, those 5 extra button pushes would disappear. You could pick up the camera, turn on the power with the on/off lever, continue to pull the lever to fire the digital preview, and have access to white balance (via the font and back dials) instantly. You wouldn't even have to move your right hand, and the only time you'd even have to look at the LCD screen is to look at your white balance adjustments. This would be huge for those of us who need to set up the shot as fast as possible and don't want to shoot RAW with the thought of fixing everything later. My 4 month old won't listen to me when I tell her to hold still for the camera.

02-17-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True- and as of now, that's how I do it. However, with this addition, those 5 extra button pushes would disappear. You could pick up the camera, turn on the power with the on/off lever, continue to pull the lever to fire the digital preview, and have access to white balance (via the font and back dials) instantly. You wouldn't even have to move your right hand, and the only time you'd even have to look at the LCD screen is to look at your white balance adjustments. This would be huge for those of us who need to set up the shot as fast as possible and don't want to shoot RAW with the thought of fixing everything later. My 4 month old won't listen to me when I tell her to hold still for the camera.
Why not just propose reprogramming onr of the dials, used mostly for Tv or Av, to be color temperature?

this would be possible without any hardware change at all!
02-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firmware 1.2

I think the "preview" lever by the power switch should work in the following way:

When in "digital preview" flipping this lever displays histogram data, distributed between 2 screens. The composite histogram should be shown in conjunction with the color histograms, as it currently is on one screen. It should be eliminated on the the other screen and replaced with a vertical row of options as below. Please see attached (crude) JPEG.

1) White balance- make this dial adjustable from 2500-10000K with optional fine tuning, as allowed under the "Fn" menu. No need for "taste" options

2) Saturation, Sharpness, and Contrast- as seen under the "menu" button. Currently, I can't see in real time the effect of adjusting the settings under "menu".

Also, the white balance editor in the JPEG developer under "Fn" should allow for dial adjustable Kelvin settings. As is stands, only the 3 that were chosen in the white balance settings are displayed. Furthermore, the white balance should be Kelvin adjustable in the "Digital Filter" under "menu" when editing JPEGs in camera.

I think that these additions would greatly enhance an already super camera.

John

Is this your wish list? Or are you saying that there is a firmware 1.2 on line?

Ben
02-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Wish list..

02-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why not just propose reprogramming onr of the dials, used mostly for Tv or Av, to be color temperature?

this would be possible without any hardware change at all!
That's what I'm basically saying. With a firmware change, these things could happen. Firmware is like a computer's BIOS settings.
02-18-2007, 06:55 AM   #9

It seems the op's suggestions are based on the assumption that the K10D's display should be used to determine all of the final image settings (color, sharpness, etc.) but I don't think the camera's display is the right tool for the job. My suggestion would be to spend a little time beforehand to determine your preferences for saturation, contrast, etc. and use those settings when you're actually shooting. As for the white balance, remember the K10D has 3 user-defined white balance settings so just use a grey card, coffee filter, etc. and store those white balance settings. All of the final image settings can be stored in the USER mode.
02-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
As for the white balance, remember the K10D has 3 user-defined white balance settings so just use a grey card, coffee filter, etc. and store those white balance settings.
I think that this approach is fine if you have the time to do it. However, I don't find that method practical when trying to making an exposure in variable light in less than 5 seconds (such as when my 4 month old daughter is being particularly cute). My approach to WB is to just turn the dials until it looks good on the LCD, anyway. I don't see how this digital preview alteration would hurt anyone's workflow, especially if a "white balance enable/disable" option were placed in the playback menu under "digital preview".
02-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #11

Most of my paying jobs are for children's parties, so I'm also very familiar with how quickly great moments appear and disappear. What I don't understand is your unwillingness to let the camera set the white balance for you. I've read plenty of people complain about the inaccurate white balance of the K10D but I haven't had any complaints from my clients so far about it. Besides, you can use the camera's "guess" as a starting point and then fine tune it yourself. As for time, I think this would take less time than manually setting the white balance using the screen.

I think that this approach is fine if you have the time to do it. However, I don't find that method practical when trying to making an exposure in variable light in less than 5 seconds (such as when my 4 month old daughter is being particularly cute). My approach to WB is to just turn the dials until it looks good on the LCD, anyway. I don't see how this digital preview alteration would hurt anyone's workflow, especially if a "white balance enable/disable" option were placed in the playback menu under "digital preview".

Last edited by Jun Park; 02-18-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: edit
02-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jun Park Quote
What I don't understand is your unwillingness to let the camera set the white balance for you. . . Besides, you can use the camera's "guess" as a starting point and then fine tune it yourself. As for time, I think this would take less time than manually setting the white balance using the screen.
I don't mind the camera guessing for me at all. In fact, I think what you're saying would actually speed things up. To incorporate your comment:

Pull the preview lever to fire the digital preview, with WB set to auto as default for each pull of the lever. Display the actual numerical value of AWB in Kelvin, whatever it is, in the upper corner of the LCD and allow for front/back dial adjustment. This way, if the camera gets it right (or close enough), you're ready to shoot. If it's off, then it probably won't be off by too much, and less dial turning would be required to fix it than would be required to adjust the last manually chosen value. Thanks, Jun, for the input. BTW, nice gallery. How's the weather in Atlanta?

John
02-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #13

I think it's more critical for Pentax to fix the exposure problems with K and M lenses. That should be the first priority.
03-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For all those who are interested about new firmware for the K10D, I asked the question directly to pentax product support by e-mail, using the contact pentax for support option on their web page

Please note the response below:

"As of right now there is no specific firmware update scheduled for that camera but you can keep checking back with us to to if we have one available."
03-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Forum Member

If you read the fine print on the release for the new SSM lenses, they say they will work to their fullest on a K10D with a firmware update. Does that mean 1.1, otherwise it would sound like another update is not too far off....