Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
John,

I suppose the order when taking a preview is:
closing aperture down - flipping mirror up - shutter operation - open up aperture (and of course process image and showing on screen).

The only thing that have to be changed is to not open up the aperture until lever is released (or closing it down directly after this sequent). This way you could have it both way (I think). I prefer to check DOP through viewfinder before zooming on screen.

Lars
Lars, hopefully you're right about the order of the mechanics. If you are, your solution is, in my mind, the most elegant. However, the glare of the captured digital image in the LCD might be annoying to those still looking throught the viewfinder at DOF, if the capture is acquired with the lever pulled. A solution to this would be to have the camera only close down the aperture when the lever is pulled, and then complete the rest of the firing sequence when the lever is released. This way, aperture values could still be adjusted in real time with the rear dial without distraction while the lever is pulled to acquire the correct DOF. I welcome any further refinement.

03-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #32
Forum Member

Yes, your way is even better. Only question is if either way is possible through a software upgrade.

Lars
03-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what exposure problems?

I ran a whole series of tests and the green button exposure (which only is to be used in manual mode) worked perfectly.

My critical list is ISO3200 and green button for calculation of apature to make use of P-TTL flash
If you are shooting at ISO 3200 you're not using a K10D, you're using the K100D or K110D.
03-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
If you are shooting at ISO 3200 you're not using a K10D, you're using the K100D or K110D.
Actually *istD, I WANT 3200 for K10D. As I said it is one of two "wants" that I have at th etop of the list, the other is to use greenbutton in flash mode to calculate F Stop, so I can use P-TTL flash with non automatic apature lenses

03-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lars Quote
Yes, your way is even better. Only question is if either way is possible through a software upgrade.

Lars
Man, I hope so. If Pentax were to integrate all of our suggestions into part of the next firmware update, we could all enjoy perhaps the must intuitive and fastest setup sequence ever offered in a DSLR. It could go something like this:

1) Power up. LCD info display as currently provided. No need for "optical preview" or "digital preview" to display, because hopefully, these could be assigned to different lever positions, as outlined above (great idea, Lars!)

2) Press and hold OK while turning the front dial to adjust ISO as high as 3200 (if Pentax can keep the noise to an acceptable minimum). Return to auto ISO while holding OK and pressing the green button (which already works) in the appropriate shooting mode(s).

3) Aim at subject. Pull the lever to enter optical preview mode. Hold the lever back while adjusting aperture with the rear dial to establish proper DOF. Release lever to fire the digital preview, yielding adjustable WB, contrast, saturation, and sharpness. Optionally, the user will have previously assigned various WB values to different times of day, to be used as a starting point. The camera will also optionally (enable/disable in menu to allow our autonomy in M mode, if desired) calculate the correct exposure for the aperture at the time of firing and use it as a baseline for our next shot- the built in "green button" function. Make necessary adjustments.

4) Press one of the arrow keys (user assigned) to enter manual WB mode, if desired. Point at something white and fire shutter. The remaining arrow keys will have other, user assignable values (as soon as we can think of them).

5) Take some pictures! Catch those squirmy babies! Freeze that green sun as it sets!

Lots of words, for a comprehensive setup that could happen in under 10 seconds. Pentax, show us the love!

Last edited by button; 03-09-2007 at 12:14 PM.
03-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #36

Original Poster
I just had another flash of inspiration. I think I speak for many when I say that auto WB on digital cameras is lacking (and this is not particular to any manufacturer). Why not put the k10d's built in clock to use and allow assignable baseline WB values for different times of day (or even different seasons)? The "assign WB for time" icon (whatever that might be) would appear in the WB select mode under "Fn", and the appropriate value would appear (in Kelvin) on the digtal preview screen, subject to further adjustment (as outlined previously). I'll add this to the flowsheet in my last post.

Last edited by button; 03-09-2007 at 12:19 PM.
03-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #37

Original Poster
Here's another one: user assignable buttons.

For example, lets say that I typically use Av mode, and I have assigned the front dial to EV compensation. Because the "+/-" (EV) button is therefore redundant, I could assign it a task, such as manual WB. If I have autofocus assigned to the shutter button, then maybe the "AF" button could enable focus bracketing. Another exampe: allow all four arrow buttons assignable tasks, without having to enter the Fn menu. As of now, they do nothing when pressed in "shoot" mode.

Of course, we'd need a "restore defaults" option in the menu to change everything back to the factory settings.

John

03-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #38

I have not read all the posts so I apologise in advance if this has been suggested.

I would like to have high speed sync available in manual mode so I can use non P-TTL flashes without over exposing, thinking specifically about my costly investment in an AF-140c Ring Flash, even at 180/ f22 you get over exposure if you go really close.
03-11-2007, 02:16 PM   #39

Original Poster
Another WB suggestion: When developing RAW to JPEG (Fn menu in the "play" mode), allow adjustable WB in Kelvin (from one of my posts in the dpreview forums- I go by "johnbomb" there and have similar firmware threads).

As of now, the values of the three custom presets are static when developing, and bouncing back and forth between "play" and "shoot" modes to change them is a real pain- you have to guess what value(s) you want. Maybe the best solution is to allow us to toggle between the WB menu in "shoot" mode, as this would allow RBGM tailoring.

Also, adding a similar adjustable WB option or link to the WB menu for JPEG processing under "digital filter" would be a Godsend. Could this be done in a high bit (lossless) environment in-camera? If not, would the degree of loss be acceptable?

The k10d LCD screen does a great job of color rendering- I just checked some prints I had made at Walgreens against the LCD, and the colors are spot on. I completely trust its accuracy. IMO, all the talk about jpeg sharpness draws our attention away from one of the k10d's great strengths: color manipulation.
04-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #40

Original Poster
ISO/shutter speed

OK, here's another one- this is Ken Rockwell's idea, but I don't think that he'd mind if I shared it here (since he has it on his website at Kenrockwell.com)

If using auto ISO in auto, Av, or program mode, the k10d should stay at your chosen lowest ISO value and allow you to set a shutter speed threshold at which the ISO will change to the next highest or lowest level needed to maintain proper exposure at a given aperture.

For example, let's say that I've determined that I can hold the camera steady enough over a 0.25 second exposure at f8, ISO 100 (with shake reduction on, of course) in moderate lighting to get adequate sharpness for my liking. Let's also say that I will allow a 100-1600 ISO range under the "Fn" menu, and that I choose "0.25 seconds" in this new threshold function (which could be enabled/disabled by the user and assigned to one of the arrow keys, as I outlined above).

So, I'm merrily snapping away at the birds on a beach on a sunny morning with my 43mm ltd at f1.9 (LOVE the bokeh!), all the while my shutter speeds are ranging between 1/250s and 1/1000 as my k10d holds an ISO of 100. Out of nowhere, a fog rolls in! Seeing an opportunity for some incredible shots, I stick around and continue snapping. As the light decreases, the shutter speed falls to 0.25s at which point the ISO begins to climb until 1600 is reached. Only now does the camera begin slow the shutter speed to maintain exposure. Finally, the fog (and all of the vengeful leprosy ridden evil spirits with it) moves on, and the sun gradually thaws the gloom. Now, my k10d reverses the cycle, increasing its shutter speed (still at ISO 1600) until 0.25s is reached and then dropping the ISO. When it hits 100, the shutter speeds climb back to their prior levels, as I'm now getting a tan in the noon sun. Sound good?

John
04-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by button Quote
OK, here's another one- this is Ken Rockwell's idea, but I don't think that he'd mind if I shared it here (since he has it on his website at Kenrockwell.com)

If using auto ISO in auto, Av, or program mode, the k10d should stay at your chosen lowest ISO value and allow you to set a shutter speed threshold at which the ISO will change to the next highest or lowest level needed to maintain proper exposure at a given aperture.

John

I just can't find any editorial on the K10D on his site. Much easier if you post the exact link rather than the general Kenrockwell.com address.

Larry
04-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
I just can't find any editorial on the K10D on his site. Much easier if you post the exact link rather than the general Kenrockwell.com address.

Larry
Ken doesn't discuss this idea with the k10d in mind, only DSLR cameras in general, and I don't remember exactly where on his site he mentions it. He's more of a Nikon/Canon guy, anyway, although he says that he plans to review the k10d at some time in the future.
04-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #43

I like the idea of being able to use the dials while viewing the digital preview. What I'd really like to see change in the firmware is the RAW button. I mostly shoot in JPG, but when I press the RAW button i want to shoot in RAW, not RAW+JPEG. Simple I know, but I'd rather not take up extra space with the +Jpeg, so at the very least make it selectable in the custom functions where you select if the RAW button works for one shot or continuous.
04-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #44

Original Poster
Eliminate the 1/2 second or so interval between the half depress of the shutter button and the initiation of shake reduction.

This would help with "throw the camera on your face and hit the button" snaps.