Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what raw converter is the most like RSE?

When the K10D arrives the RSE will be useless. I need to find an easy converter. Who makes the closest to raw shooter? I am getting a little worried that the camera will arive and there will be no way for me to shoot raw.
thanks
barondla

10-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try Silkypix. Colours of Silkypix are excellent.

They are releasing v3.0 soon (Japanese version is out already) and it looks like it became even better.
10-02-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same problem when I bought the K100. I now use Lightroom beta 4. It's about the closest to RSE as I've seen. Bibble is also excellent...but at a cost of course.
10-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Silkypix

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Try Silkypix. Colours of Silkypix are excellent.

They are releasing v3.0 soon (Japanese version is out already) and it looks like it became even better.
Is the interface on Silkypix (that you buy) different than the free SilkyPix that shipped with the K100D? The Pentax/Silkypix was as hard to use as the old Pentax software.
thanks
barondla

10-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Is the interface on Silkypix (that you buy) different than the free SilkyPix that shipped with the K100D? The Pentax/Silkypix was as hard to use as the old Pentax software.
With K100D you get Pentax Photolaboratory (with Silkypix Engine), not Silkypix itself.
10-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Can't the K10D shoot in Adobe's DNG? So not a problem if you have Photoshop oe Elements?
10-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I found the Bibble interface the easiest/quickest to use.. And of the payed RAW converters it is well on the cheaper side..

10-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #8

When the K10D arrives the RSE will be useless. I need to find an easy converter. Who makes the closest to raw shooter? I am getting a little worried that the camera will arive and there will be no way for me to shoot raw.
thanks
barondla
Are K10D DNG files different than other DNG:s?

RSE can handle DNG:s. I have *ist D and convert PEF:s to DNG:s with Adobe DNG Converter.

Conversion of those DNG:s to TIFF:s or JPEG:s with RSE happens without any difficulties.

I supposed that I can continue this work flow with K10D DNG:s.....

Last edited by Harald; 10-08-2006 at 02:46 AM.
10-08-2006, 05:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
RSE can handle DNG:s. I have *ist D and convert PEF:s to DNG:s with Adobe DNG Converter.
RawShooter handles DNG only for those cameras which RAW files it supports directly.

Therefore RawShooter does recognise K100D, K110D and won't recognize K10D RAW files. Doesn't matter if they are PEF or DNG.

The only way to force it to handle K100D and K110D RAW files is to replace camera identification string in RAW file.
10-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Isn't that counter to the whole purpose of DNG, ie. being a universal format?
10-13-2006, 08:14 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Isn't that counter to the whole purpose of DNG, ie. being a universal format?
Yes in a way, and that is because some adopters of DNG choose to
only have a PARTIAL implementation of DNG.

The RAW converter needs TWO things basically:
1) The RAW data itself
2) A camera profile to know how to process the RAW data

A 'complete' DNG file (like the K10D produces) has the camera profile embedded but not all converters use it.
Some converters that support DNG only use the RAW data itself, but use their own camera profiles to process it.
(RSE is one such application)

Others (like Adobe Camera RAW) do use the embedded camera info, so can process the K10D DNG files without a problem ...
(I know, I processed a DNG from the GX10 )

Regards, Merlin
10-22-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

thanks
barondla
As others have stated Silkypics ver 3 BETA has been released in English as well. The colors (esp red) are better than RSE/RSP ever were (w the possible exception if you bought the "profiles" module) UNFORTUNATELY, Silkypics cannot (unless I missed it) automatically open your post RAW editor of choice (on a side note RSE wasn't much good here either w/ Corel. Would open multiple copies instead of nesting. RSE blamed Corel, which in some respects was true) BUT a small batch file (and pointing RSE to it) solved the problem... The fix was so easy that I was surprised that it couldn't have been included in RSP... soured me to the whole company as I felt they were completely ignoring Corel. Sort of glad I never bit after seeing them "sell out" but it does explain there ignoring Corel