Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K10D - double image artifacts?

I am seeing some double image artifacts on some subject matter with my K10D. It looks to me like a processing artifact. Anyone else seeing this?

Please see the two images at the following locations for evidence and particulars:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-969.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-968.html

02-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

just looks like camera shake
02-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Unlikely, for the test series that these two images came from all images were made on a tripod. Also I made multiple test series with consistent results, only the images on the left side of the image show this particular artifact. Why this should be true I don't know.
02-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For one thing the pictures are severely out of focus and, tripod or not, they do look "shaken".

SR on? SR must be off on a tripod. The mirror slap may throw the SR off when the camera is tripod mounted and who knows what then happens?

02-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 23skidoo Quote
I am seeing some double image artifacts on some subject matter with my K10D. It looks to me like a processing artifact. Anyone else seeing this?

Please see the two images at the following locations for evidence and particulars:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-969.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-968.html
How long was the exposure, ISO, aperture? It almost looks like mirror or shutter vibration which could happen with slow speed, often below 1/15 of a second or less.
02-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Technical data & more evidence

The exposure was 1/125s at F5.6. It was shot on a tripod.

The attached image should help to clarify things. It consists of three crops from the same image. The crop on the left comes from the left side of one of the images in the test series. It looks blurry. The crop on the upper right comes from the center and the crop on the lower right is from the right side. You will note that the center and right crops are a little fuzzy due to the magnification but they don't exhibit the double image artifact. You might want to download them and examine them in an editor under more magnification.

I will be glad to provide the full image or sets of images if someone will send me an ftp site to upload them to as they are too big for email or posting here (high-quality jpg).

Some more points about this, I have yet another image that demonstrates this double-image phenomenon in texture pattern areas similar to the image we have been referring to. This other image has some tree branches against the sky, and they are very sharp, no double images and not blurry, just a little soft. I think that this points to the cause of the problem being in the image-processing software getting confused for some reason.

Jim
(munged email)
emails to
jamesrw atatatat att dotdotdot net
Attached Images

02-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i did get this weird effect the other day with my k100.. it looks even more strange when seen full size.. not ideal conditions but i cant see quite how the camera could produce such a strange looking image.. in my case its a one off.. but the image processing software has certainly got its knickers in a twist..

trog