Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 11:53 PM   #1

K200D Problem with aperture ring

Hello everyone, I am sorry to write my first post as a new thread, but I have this problem:

I bought k200d about month ago and was very happy with it. After playing with the kit lens that came with it, I put it to a drawer, changed the aperture ring setting in custom menu to permitted and used the camera with my old manual K and M series lenses. Yesterday I finally managed to buy FA 50/1.4, which has an automatic aperture setting on the ring, and after I put it on and changed the aperture setting from permitted back to forbidden, my camera stopped working with automatic lenses. I tried to put the kit lens on my body, and I have the same problem. Nothing happens. Camera does work without lens (mirror moves, picture is taken), with aperture ring permited, but in this case both FA lens and DA lens do fire wide open, even when I am using manual mode. IE, I can't control aperture settings by body, which is a problem especially with DA lenses, which do not have aperture rings.

Anyway, I think it is body defect. But because I am not familiar with this camera very much yet, I'd like to hear your opinion on this matter. Maybe I just overlooked something. Or did any one of you experienced similar problem, is a cure for it?

Sorry again to bother with problems in my first post. I am looking forward to your answers and I hope next time I'll be able to post something happier than this .

Last edited by g-kun; 08-07-2008 at 02:03 AM.
08-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I also have k200d and FA 50 1.4 - no problems, so far.
Try to go to pentax tech support: Pentax Imaging - Home, they have chat feature. You can try to reset the camera (Chapter 11 in the manual).
Good luck,
08-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing it back to forbidden shouldn't have done that. I leave mine on "Permitted" all the time regardless of which type lens I'm using.
08-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hello Sinus007, Blue,
thanks for quick answers.
I tried to reset both camera settings and custom function settings, with no effect. After reset, not FA 50/1.4 nor kit lens doesn't work. Funny thing, I just found that they don't even autofocus, even though the switch is set on AF. When I set aperture ring as permitted, those lenses do AF, but I can still take pics only wide open.
So I guess there is really something wrong with either camera or firmware. There was no FW update yet, or was it?

08-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
You should be able to leave the aperture ring setting to permitted without affecting auto lenses. As to it now not working, I would check that the contacts on the mount are clean and inspect the aperture actuator (on the left hand side just inside the mount on the camera) for damage.
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Light_Horseman Quote
You should As to it now not working, I would check that the contacts on the mount are clean and inspect the aperture actuator (on the left hand side just inside the mount on the camera) for damage.
Thanks for the idea. I checked contacts and cleaned them with cloth. I also checked the aperture acturator lever. When there is no lens mounted, it sticks out in about half of its hole. When I release the shutter, slides up and back slightly. When I mount the lens, it doesn't work.
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g-kun Quote
Thanks for the idea. I checked contacts and cleaned them with cloth. I also checked the aperture acturator lever. When there is no lens mounted, it sticks out in about half of its hole. When I release the shutter, slides up and back slightly. When I mount the lens, it doesn't work.
The error you faced and described is simply that you body no longer recognises Auto aperture lenses.

You body detects Auto lenses by electrical contacts. So, try to use a soft towel which is slightly wet with water to rub the contacts of your body and let them dry out before you re-attach your lenses. Do try more than one lens as it might be your lens!

To check the proper functioning of the aperture actuator, put your body in M mode and push the green or AE-L button and to see if it will close down your lenses to stopped down (in case of DA or and Auto lenses, the smallest aperture will be closed).

If problem still persist, pull battery out of your body and let the camera forget all its memory and then re-insert it. I guess one or two days may be needed. If the camera ask you to enter the date/time and clock again, you succeed! Otherwise, re-try! :-)

Good luck and I hope you can resolve the problem by yourself!

08-09-2008, 08:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to you all for all the supportive messages.
Yesterday I had a visit to a Pentax service center and they said it is a definitely a body malfunction and it will take 2 weeks to get it back to the shape. They lent me another camera though, so I won't miss the chance to take picture of a dawn at the peak of Mt. Fuji next week. I hope I'll manage to take a nice one to post it here