Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #1

Rebate and Help with decision

Like many others I've searched and researched and came to the conclusion that the Pentax100D with 2 lens kit is truly a great deal. Didn't take long to pick it over the D40. From what I can read, if I buy both at the same time I will get a $150 rebate check.

My probelm is I can't find anywhere what the end date means on the rebate form. It says Jan 27 -Mar 27 2007

Does the end date mean:

Purchased by Mar 27 ?
OR
Rebate form posted back to pentax by Mar 27 ?

I live on a military base. I have an opportunity to see and touch one of these in 2 weeks. That woudl give me enough time to make the purhcase before Mar 27. Hwoever if the rebate has to be postmarked back to Pentax by Mar 27 I have to buy right away.

Any help woudl be very much appreciated.
Also if someone thinks an 8MP D100 is in the near horizon for <$600 please speak up. I always get nervous when Rebates are in the air.

Thanks for any help !
Stephen R

02-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The end date means you have to purchase by that date. Then you have some time after (30-45 days?) to have the rebate form postmarked and mailed.
02-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i think it's purchased by, meaning the receipt must be dated by the end date.

unsure about the new bodies....PMA's are soon, so you might get your answer then (march 8-11)
02-17-2007, 01:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Based on the PDF located here:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs//buymoresavemore.rebate1_012407__NOGRADIENT.pdf

Purchase your item between Jan 10 and March 27 of 2007

THE IMPORTANT PART!

#12 at the bottom of the PDF form

REQUEST FOR REBATE MUST BE POSTMARKED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE

So, you can buy between Jan 10 and March 27, 2007. But you better submit all rebate info within 30 days of purchase or no soup for you! And don't buy it at bestbuy.com or walmart.com since they are excluded etc. etc. etc.

02-17-2007, 05:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DirkT Quote
Based on the PDF located here:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs//buymoresavemore.rebate1_012407__NOGRADIENT.pdf

Purchase your item between Jan 10 and March 27 of 2007

THE IMPORTANT PART!

#12 at the bottom of the PDF form

REQUEST FOR REBATE MUST BE POSTMARKED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE

So, you can buy between Jan 10 and March 27, 2007. But you better submit all rebate info within 30 days of purchase or no soup for you! And don't buy it at bestbuy.com or walmart.com since they are excluded etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, since Bestbuy and Walmart may already have some sort of arrangement before the rebate program to sell at a certain price.

That's ok. Before you mail off all your stuff, make sure to take photocopies for your reference.

As Jon mentioned, you should still have enough time to check out PMA. This is anticipated as the date Pentax will send an answer back to Nikon's D40 in the form of newer DSLR models.
02-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Pma -

Thanks !
PMAs are making me nervous.
Anybody have some insight ! Of course you can always wait for EVER !

Timing is really bad for me . I leave for BALI March 28, I need 2-3 weeks to receive shipment (I'm very remote). I can't really wait for PMA !!!!

Is there any doubt that the K100D is better then the D40 ?
I didn't see it even as a close comparison although I keep thinking I should kick in more $$$ and buy a Rebel XT ??? Of course I'm also thinking zuperzoom point and shoot (LUMIX FZ8, CANON S3IS, Fuji S9000)

Ugh ! Need someone to just push me over the edge and buy the damm thing !

SRej
02-17-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

each camera you listed has it's own pro's and con's. someone recently also asked me that question, which is betteR? cant really say which is better, the question you should ask is which will fit you the best.

out of the 3 DSLR's you listed, i'd pick Pentax, for it's build quality, lens compatibility, ergonomics, and in-body antishake.

the canon feels cheap, and the d-40, is so small it feels uncomfortable.

now each body will take great photos, granted you take the time to learn how to use it's unique features.

one thing I'd take the pentax over the other 2 also is the kit lens. it's the best you will get packed in with the camera (at that focal range). sharp, and build quality is better than the others.

and for price purposes, with the rebate, the k100 makes it that much better of a deal

but we're just folks in a pentax forums...ask the same question in a canon or nikon based forums, and they'd recommend their brand over the others...
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're in that much of a rush to buy, then yes, go with a K100D. It's a great cam that can hold its own against similarly priced models. Look for photos in here to see what you can expect.

Two people I can think of right away...look for shots from Brian Wahl (he works with just his camera and the kit lens) and EddyinGA (has several pleasing shots with the kit too) in the "Post Your Photos" threads.

Cheers!

(P.S. Jon and I are on at any given time and sometimes, you can see us tag teaming on threads! LOL)