Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
Can you even consider a k5 or k3 a 'flaship model' camera (compared to other systems)? I've enjoyed all my Pentax cameras but would hardly describe any as flagship models.
Wow, did this come off as negative towards Pentax. Where's that Ron guy that keeps saying they're doomed, have you two met?

02-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
Can you even consider a k5 or k3 a 'flaship model' camera (compared to other systems)? I've enjoyed all my Pentax cameras but would hardly describe any as flagship models.

lets stick to current then, K3ii is definitely flagship in apsc. apples to apples it is better in some ways not as good in others compared with the apsc canon and nikon , the K1 is the only FF offering so by default it is the brands FF flagship, but really the 645z should be the flagship consideration. in many ways better than the canikons close to it in price, in others not as good. this has been the way it has worked at pentax since they lost dominance to nikon, then canon
nothing wrong they picked a market and targeted it
02-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
My k10D is getting old. Thinking of replacing it with a ks2. Using my tax refund. I like the features on the ks2. It works with a phone. So don't have to wait till I get to my computer to post pictures on Facebook. I hope has better low light focusing.
What's the budget available? Can you give other constraints? Sounds like you want a body with built-in Wifi, anything else? What's your lens collection like, would a lens bundle with something like the 18-135 be worth anything to you?

I like playing this game but I need more information to be effective.
02-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Wow, did this come off as negative towards Pentax. Where's that Ron guy that keeps saying they're doomed, have you two met?
No shade towards Pentax, as I've been shooting loyally for 9 years - on the verge of moving on to an A7 though!

02-25-2017, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yes to replace but keep it around for ISO 100 landscapes, the CDC sensor is great I wish I still had mine
You can get one for around a hundred bucks usually. And it will probably hold its value for a good while
02-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
You can get one for around a hundred bucks usually. And it will probably hold its value for a good while
yeah but my lenses mostly went as well , still have my taks that's it
02-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
yeah but my lenses mostly went as well , still have my taks that's it
Ask forum member Dartmoor Dave... the Taks and the K10D are a marriage made in heaven And one can always get a good cheap 50mm and 28mm K mount lens...

02-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ask forum member Dartmoor Dave... the Taks and the K10D are a marriage made in heaven And one can always get a good cheap 50mm and 28mm K mount lens...
Ha I'm well aware, I still use them on my Fuji cameras and on my one Pentax film body. (and i know i can get cheap k mount i lost enough of them in the break in...) As tempting as it is i have other gear needs first ...next up is either a studio strobe setup or a Fuji Texas Leica..., i'm torn at the moment
02-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A "flagship" is the most advanced and best-built of whatever band. Duh?

None of the other brands have the Pentax Hyper Program and Hyper Manual operational systems, as was raved about in dpreview's review of your K-10D. All current Pentax DSLR models, even entry level like the K-S2 now come with this design, as well as weather-sealed construction. The professional-oriented on-body control set comparable to your K-10D along with its metal magnesium-alloy construction is what is meant by your being happier by continuing with a "flagship" model. The lesser models are very good operationally for handling, but with more need to go to a menu for certain needs. Not as quick and handy. Also, no LCD on top.

The new Pentax KP is a more compact version meant for experienced photographers, with its nearly all metal body and many features. It has more control knobs on top for programmable quick operation, but then no top LCD. It does have a tilt-out back LCD. It is so far showing itself to be a stellar performer, especially for low-light high-ISO use. It would blow away your K-10D!! Any of the Pentax current models would be far superior. We are expecting to see a new "flagship" appear in about 6 months.
03-01-2017, 06:46 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
A "flagship" is the most advanced and best-built of whatever band. Duh?

None of the other brands have the Pentax Hyper Program and Hyper Manual operational systems, as was raved about in dpreview's review of your K-10D. All current Pentax DSLR models, even entry level like the K-S2 now come with this design, as well as weather-sealed construction. The professional-oriented on-body control set comparable to your K-10D along with its metal magnesium-alloy construction is what is meant by your being happier by continuing with a "flagship" model. The lesser models are very good operationally for handling, but with more need to go to a menu for certain needs. Not as quick and handy. Also, no LCD on top.

The new Pentax KP is a more compact version meant for experienced photographers, with its nearly all metal body and many features. It has more control knobs on top for programmable quick operation, but then no top LCD. It does have a tilt-out back LCD. It is so far showing itself to be a stellar performer, especially for low-light high-ISO use. It would blow away your K-10D!! Any of the Pentax current models would be far superior. We are expecting to see a new "flagship" appear in about 6 months.
The PentaxForum interview with the guys from Ricoh says that they're "researching" a replacement for the K-3 II. Where did a 6 month replacement ETA come from?

It would not blow my mind if they didn't replace the K-3 II. Surprising but not stroke inducing shock. K-70 for starting out & hobbiest, KP for innovation, K-1 for pro's or consumers who can justify cost & weight. Again I personally hope they don't do this.