Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Should I replace my k10D with a Pentax ks2

My k10D is getting old. Thinking of replacing it with a ks2. Using my tax refund. I like the features on the ks2. It works with a phone. So don't have to wait till I get to my computer to post pictures on Facebook. I hope has better low light focusing.

02-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, and it will have far better focusing, including low light, than you are used to.
02-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Twice.
Second time K-5.
I'm on the tick tock plan. And skipping some beats.
K-1 is on my list.

Think about a K-5
02-21-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-S2 is a great camera, and it will easily outperform the K10D in just about every area. The Wi-Fi option is nice, too. It is not, however, a flagship model. If you shoot a lot and want something with a metal body and a shutter mechanism designed to last for many years, I'd recommend looking at the flagship line (K-5 II or K-3), even if second-hand.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes to replace but keep it around for ISO 100 landscapes, the CDC sensor is great I wish I still had mine
02-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #6

If it has the feature set and is in your budget certainly. Any of the current Pentax DSLRs will be an enormous step up image and AF-wise from the K10D. I have a K10D myself and have been sitting on the fence for updating since the K-1 came out.

I would look at the reviews of the WiFi features closely. Pentax has a ways to go yet with SmartPhone
integration.

Edit: What Adam said. The K-S2 is not a flagship model and I'm spoiled by the flagship features of the K10D and probably would be happier with a later flagship (K-3/ii) or whatever else is on the horizon.
02-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

It's weird... Whilst I would always pick my K-3 for higher ISO shots, or those where I want as much detail as possible, I find myself choosing to shoot with my GX-10 (K10D clone) more and more. The more recent models give you a lot more latitude with higher ISO noise, shake reduction, continuous shooting speed etc., but I really do like the images I get out of the GX-10...

So, as has already been said, by all means upgrade - I'm sure you'll enjoy the significant improvements in functionality and several performance aspects. But if you can afford to hang on to the K10D as well, I'd recommend doing so

02-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
KDD
Veteran Member

Do you know how old is k-s2?
02-21-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It is not, however, a flagship model.
Can you even consider a k5 or k3 a 'flaship model' camera (compared to other systems)? I've enjoyed all my Pentax cameras but would hardly describe any as flagship models.
02-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yes to replace but keep it around for ISO 100 landscapes, the CDC sensor is great I wish I still had mine
I thought new cameras had better sensors in them?

02-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
Can you even consider a k5 or k3 a 'flaship model' camera (compared to other systems)? I've enjoyed all my Pentax cameras but would hardly describe any as flagship models.
Both the K-5 and K-3 were top-of-the-range ("flagship") models in the Pentax line-up. For APS-C sensor cameras, they were every inch flagship models
02-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K3 will hold its against any other APS-C camera out there. Maybe the autofocus is not the best but that is only a very small part of what the camera does.

I went from K10D to a K3 and never looked back. Your can buy a nice used K3 for the price of a used KS-2. I know I have to have my main camera be able to use a grip.
02-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tootal2 Quote
I thought new cameras had better sensors in them?
They do, for sure, but the older CCD sensors, while lower in resolution and incapable of the higher ISO results we get from the newer CMOS sensors, can produce very pleasing output at lower ISO settings. I'm not sure what it is exactly... some people believe it's a more film-like result... but I've experienced it.
02-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Within their class (Nikon D7xxx and Canon 7D), certainly. They are pretty similar in terms of specs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-24-2017, 07:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
They do, for sure, but the older CCD sensors, while lower in resolution and incapable of the higher ISO results we get from the newer CMOS sensors, can produce very pleasing output at lower ISO settings. I'm not sure what it is exactly... some people believe it's a more film-like result... but I've experienced it.
The CCD has a different look for sure. when the initial move happed to cmos (K20) it was a complaint.and I love the sensors in my Fujis....but the CCD at iso 100 specifically can really seem like a Chrome for me (without a lot of post trying to achieve it or film simulations....)

It's the nice thing about the 645D as well (in fact I would be sorely tempted for a D over a Z If i was going to shoot primarily landscapes in daytime (though the Z will go to 100 vs d 200, and both are damn impressive)