Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #1

DSLR recommendation to use M42 50mm Super Takumar?

I'want to to buy an old (in technology years) Pentax DSLR to use my old M42 50mm Super Takumar (it's from a Spotmatic, the very first camera I ever had).

I only need one dial to control the shutter speed, as I'll control the aperture right from the lens. I was thinking something along the lines of the Kr or Kx. Is there any limitation regardless metering, or something?

I already have a high end Pentax, but I want the "new-old one" to be attached to the Super Takumar all the time.

So the question is: do you have any special advice?

Thank you all!!
Regards,
Vier

02-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
I'want to to buy an old (in technology years) Pentax DSLR to use my old M42 50mm Super Takumar (it's from a Spotmatic, the very first camera I ever had).

I only need one dial to control the shutter speed, as I'll control the aperture right from the lens. I was thinking something along the lines of the Kr or Kx. Is there any limitation regardless metering, or something?

I already have a high end Pentax, but I want the "new-old one" to be attached to the Super Takumar all the time.

So the question is: do you have any special advice?

Thank you all!!
Regards,
Vier
The K-x and K-r have been pretty reliable, but you might not like the small / dark viewfinder or basic live view support.

My recommendation would be a K-30, K-50, or K-5. These will also give you image quality that's comparable to modern cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

In addition to what Adam said, I have a little suggestion that might be amazing. You might be able to save a lot of money by buying a K30 with an aperture issue. You can use all the manual aperture lenses perfectly on them. Auto-aperture lenses will not work.

Buy from a trusted seller and make sure that it isn't a shutter fault (possible). If it's just the aperture block then you've got a cut price camera with no problems for your shooting.
02-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Great suggestion! I'd you post in the wanted section, I'm sure there are plenty of users here who want to offload theirs.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-x and K-r have been pretty reliable, but you might not like the small / dark viewfinder or basic live view support.

My recommendation would be a K-30, K-50, or K-5. These will also give you image quality that's comparable to modern cameras.
I already have a K3 with a couple of autofocus lenses. I was looking for something more of a "old cheap reliable workhorse" to leave the Super Tak always on. But thanks!
02-22-2017, 04:53 PM   #6

Get a K-30/50. If it develops the aperture stop-down problem it won't matter. You'll have to use green button metering in manual mode though. Stop-down metering via the DOF preview is a feature found only on the "flagships" - K-5,K-3 or K-1.
02-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you post in the K-30 wanted section, I have one ready and waiting to go (aperture block failure).

Ian.

02-22-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Loyalty aside, the best camera to mount this if you want DSLR style of usage will be a used Canon 5D with EES precision focusing screen.
The SMC Takumar 55/1.8 almost lived on it when I had the camera.
To be fair, the adapter is also less fiddly than the Pentax one since it makes the lens a EOS bayonet mount.
FF is a big plus too.
02-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K30 with aperture issue, live view with focus peaking.
02-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had the kx and k30. I think I liked the kx better. I had metering trouble with m42s on my k30. It would not meter properly while in M. I had to keep it in Av all the time. I also had that aperture failure which limited it to only m42s. I did most of my learning on the kx, so I will always love it. I also had great experience with the K10D while using m42s.
03-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K50 that recently developed the aperture block problem. I thought that instead of having it repaired, I should use it with my manual Takumars, and use my back-up Kx with my auto lenses. However, am I not sacrificing image quality by using the Kx? I actually bought the K50 in the belief that it would give better picture quality. Through a Pentaxian in these Forums I found a repair shop that will repair the aperture problem for $100 and give a guarantee as well. I think I will go ahead and get the repair done. Is this a good plan?
03-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I read somewhere that all Pentax DSLR have focus confirmation when used with manual lenses, is that really so???
03-05-2017, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Viernes Quote
I read somewhere that all Pentax DSLR have focus confirmation when used with manual lenses, is that really so???
Yes, and also catch-in-focus.

Adam

03-06-2017, 04:43 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, I would go with an *istD

No joke

It offers reliable metering with legacy lenses, and a dual flash system TTL, and P-TTL

This means you can do flash photography too with your legacy lenses. In fact the *istD has the most sophisticated flash system of any Pentax DSLR with the ability also to use high speed sync HSS with the in body flash as the master.

Ok it's old and clunky but they still work and 6mP is enough to print 11x17
03-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Get a K-30/50. If it develops the aperture stop-down problem it won't matter. You'll have to use green button metering in manual mode though. Stop-down metering via the DOF preview is a feature found only on the "flagships" - K-5,K-3 or K-1.
with m-42 you can leave it in AV MODE at all times .It will meter perfect, you might have to adjust the exposure dial a little.

---------- Post added 03-06-17 at 06:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For me, I would go with an *istD

No joke

It offers reliable metering with legacy lenses, and a dual flash system TTL, and P-TTL

This means you can do flash photography too with your legacy lenses. In fact the *istD has the most sophisticated flash system of any Pentax DSLR with the ability also to use high speed sync HSS with the in body flash as the master.

Ok it's old and clunky but they still work and 6mP is enough to print 11x17
I agree, and you can get them cheap