Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always use a lens hood. I sometimes use a polarizer to see through reflections on the water or emphasize blue skies, and use a hood on the filter. One of the biggest advantages of the lens hood is that if anyone is careless enough to swat the front of your lens while waving hands around they only do it once. Those sharp edges hurt!

02-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I use them even in studio sessions.
I think it would be crazy to not use them in the studio. I guess if you're only using a softbox or two pointed away from the camera then it wouldn't be an issue, but for any interesting setups you're bound to get stray light coming back at the lens. Having the hood on means far less that you have to flag manually.

I usually shoot products, large and small (from homes to retail products a few inches in diameter, but mostly automotive), having mostly gotten out of paid portraiture several years ago. As a result of my habit of keeping a polarizer on my lens I did a studio session with one the other day (large group of corporate headshots) and made a ton of extra work for myself as it had the effect of increasing the appearance of skin imperfections. Fantastic.