Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Do you use a lens hood, polarizer or both?

What do you prefer: I don't use a lens hood, just a polarizer. I like the light control better with a polarizer. Some Pentax lens have that little window, where you can turn the polarizer, but many lens' with hoods don't have that feature and using a polarizer there would be difficult. I'm more of a faster type shooter, that's why the polarizer. thanks

02-23-2017, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you use a rubber fold out hood that screws into the polariser you can use both.
02-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if I have to use a filter, I use both hood and filter.
I use combination of eBay's metal hood and 49mm step down ring stack in front of it, then 49mm polarizing or whatever filter on top.
note that, I use K3 and most of my lenses are FF lens so I can do the step-down ring thing, just need some calculation.
02-24-2017, 12:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use a hood. Religiously. When I want the CPL effect, I put it on with the hood if I have the right sized filter.

Hoods function very differently than a polarizing filter. If it's a choice of either/or, I'd make a decision based on the effect I'm trying to produce on my image.

02-24-2017, 01:07 AM   #5
Forum Member

Both, and I have a hood and polarizer for every lens. Even though some, like the 35mm f/2.4 and 15mm Limited, both take the same size, I have one on each so I never have to slow down and swap a filter. The only time it comes off of a lens is for low light situations since even a good quality polarizer costs you about one stop.
02-24-2017, 01:51 AM   #6

I use a CPL when it's needed and a hood when I need to block some flare. Neither are necessary but I'd argue that a CPL is magnitudes more useful for landscape work than a hood but a hood does have its time and place.
02-24-2017, 02:05 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hood - always.
Polariser - when I want a polariser.

02-24-2017, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Its not an either/or issue.

Always use a hood to protect/reduce flare, etc, and a polarizing filter when glare is an issue, skies benefit from darkeningg, etc.
02-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recall someone a while ago, probably here, demonstrating the reduction in contrast that arose from not using a hood, even without having a light source near the frame. The difference wasn't always dramatic but was quite obvious, nonetheless. Most of my lenses have better coatings than my filters, but even if that wasn't the case, putting a slab of glass on the end of the lens is inviting further flare and internal reflection. I always use a hood.
02-24-2017, 05:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hood - always.
Polariser - when I want a polariser.

Yep...same here.
02-24-2017, 07:21 AM   #11

If a manufacturer includes a hood with a lens it is there for a good reason, the lens will perform poorly without it. I use mine all the time.
02-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Most of my lenses have their original hoods and I've got an assortment of aftermarket screw-on metal, tulip and rubber hoods for the others. I always use the OEM ones since they're right there on the lens, but I'm a lot more hit-and-miss about the aftermarket ones.

I have at least one polarizing filter for each of my lenses, either a CPL or a linear, and for some lenses I have both. I use them whenever the occasion calls for it but I don't leave them on the lens by default.
02-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Just hood.
02-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The two (hood, polarizer) have two different purposes and one does not substitute for the other. To answer your question directly:

Hood: Almost always
Polarizer: Almost never

In regards to the polarizer, part of the reason is that I am too cheap to buy the range of filter sizes (), the second is that I am not sure I like the look for most shooting; this despite being an enthusiastic polarizer user through decades of shooting 35mm slides.

Steve
02-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I admit, I'm bad. I often use a polariser without a hood because I share filters. I'll often use my hand to try and shield flare if that's an issue, or I just consider it the price of working with a polariser.