Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
applies also to the d7200
Can confirm. If you shoot 14 bit RAW, the D7200 specs say 5fps (CH), but 3 to 4 fps is more likely. The buffer for lossless compressed 14 bit RAW is OK though, at 18 images, and if you have fast SD cards, the buffer does clear quite quickly.

In terms of K-3II vs D7200 specs, the D7200 also lacks focus peaking in LiveView, which is a handy feature for manual focus, macro etc. Although it works pretty well, the D7200 2k metering sensor is also rather crude compared to the K-3II's 186k metering sensor, so for tricky exposures and light the K-3II should do a better job.

Also worth noting is a minor point, but one which can be a real annoyance (or not) depending on whether you are right or left handed. Looking down from the top of the camera, Nikon and Canon mount their lens release button on the left-hand side of the body, whilst Pentax (and Sony) put the lens release button on the right hand side. I personally find the Nikon lens release button placement on the LH side of the body a real pain.

02-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The suggestion that Pentax isn't any good for sports is just plain wrong. Good glass and some user skill go a long way. I coach football (Canadian Football) and shoot from the sidelines with a K-5II and HD DA 70. Another coach who is a good friend shots with a D-7200 and 18-140. Hands down, my humble K-5II and DA 70 combo captures more keepers of moving action. I use the AF button and have the camera set for AF-C. AF with the shutter release is disabled in settings. This reduces shutter lag and helps with AF tracking. My colleague and I have traded cameras on two occasions. I couldn't nail as many keepers with the Nikon combo. I have shot with another friends K-3II and my DA 70 as well. The K-3II has faster AF. I would highly recommend it.
Although I like the image quality of Nikon cameras, I don't like Nikon as a system for several reasons (I admit, this is just a personal preference). But comparing K-5 II with D7200 if we talk about action photography is a joke.

Try and focus on a mosquito in flight with K-5 II, or try and shoot a Kingsfisher in flight with K-5 II like you see in the review from below, and not just a random shot.

Here is a link to a real world review for Nikon D7200 (you can use google translate if you want to read the words) of a photographer who spends between 1 and 2 month with a camera and shoots daily with it in various extreme conditions before publishing the review. Find me a similar review for K-5 II or K-3 II. Neverless, K-3 II has a better af-c than K-5 II and for occasional action photography it's enough.

Īn Tufi?uri - cu Mircea Bezergheanu: Review Nikon D7200

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-25-2017 at 07:55 AM.
02-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Here is a real world review of D7200 (you can use google translate if you want to read the words). Find me a similar review for K-5 II or K-3 II. K-3 II has a better af-c than K-5 II and for occasional action photography it's enough.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

This guy has incredible tracking skills just to keep the bird in his frame. Who knows what he could do with a K-3? Speculation is futile.
Although in this case, what Dan is saying is probably correct... but bottom line, you probably aren't going to get images like he posted whether you have a K-3 or a D7200. And if you can keep the bird in the part of the frame covered by the AF grid, you can do quite well with a Pentax. See Kengoh's images in the 300 plus cub.

Or images like the owl in these threads. If these images are good enough for you, you don't need a 7200 for tracking.
The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - Page 1651 - PentaxForums.com

After all, give any college basketball player a good basketball an he'll hit 6 or 7 out of 10 from three point range using beat up old ball. I might get one, using a better basketball. Does that mean the old ball is better? Or that I could do better with the old beat up ball? If I'm not a good three point shooter it doesn't matter what ball I use, I'm going to miss a lot.

ANd if the active player is a good shooter, he's going to make his shots with whatever ball he uses. Cameras are little different, except for the part where way to many people show what some guy who's picture they could never match with any camera as proof of how good the camera is, without reference to how good the shooter is.

Last edited by normhead; 02-25-2017 at 07:57 AM.
02-25-2017, 08:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

This guy has incredible tracking skills just to keep the bird in his frame. Who knows what he could do with a K-3? Speculation is futile.
Although in this case, what Dan is saying is probably correct... but bottom line, you probably aren't going to get images like he posted whether you have a K-3 or a D7200. And if you can keep the bird in the part of the frame covered by the AF grid, you can do quite well with a Pentax. See Kengoh's images in the 300 plus cub.

Or images like the owl in these threads. If these images are good enough for you, you don't need a 7200 for tracking.
The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - Page 1651 - PentaxForums.com

After all, give any college basketball player a good basketball an he'll hit 6 or 7 out of 10 from three point range using beat up old ball. I might get one, using a better basketball. Does that mean the old ball is better?
That guy use to work with Pentax back in the film days and recently he refused to represent anymore Nikon as an ambassador. He loves Pentax and he wanted to give it a try, but our official Pentax dealer is not interested in making him an offer to become Pentax ambassador. He wanted K1 for 2 reasons: landscapes and cheap price compared to D810.

Now Olympus made him an offer and he will test the E-M1 Mark II with a few lenses for 2 months. If he likes it, he will promote Olympus from now on.

So yes, it takes a lot of skills to take images like he does and it should be interesting to see how Olympus is doing in his hands.

He tried K-3 II in his wildlife workshops, but only with DA300mm f4 and he said it's way to slow. But he never tried it with D-FA 150-450mm...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-25-2017 at 08:10 AM.
02-25-2017, 08:14 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
That guy use to work with Pentax back in the film days and recently he refused to represent anymore Nikon as an ambassador. He loves Pentax and he wanted to give it a try, but our official Pentax dealer is not interested in making him an offer to become Pentax ambassador. He wanted K1 for 2 reasons: landscapes and cheap price compared to D810.

Now Olympus made him an offer and he will test the E-M1 Mark II with a few lenses for 2 months. If he likes it, he will promote Olympus from now on.

So yes, it takes a lot of skills to take images like he does and it should be interesting to see how Olympus is doing in his hands.

He tried K-3 II in his wildlife workshops, but only with DA300mm f4 and he said it's way to slow. But he never tried it with D-FA 150-450mm...
All good info, but the fact remains, the fact that he can get great images with a D7200 and can't with a K-3 doesn't mean anyone else can get those images, with or without a D7200. If you can't get them with a D7200 and can't get them with a K-3, the cameras for you are functionally the same.

The reason I can't get those types of image would be, I can't track birds that fast. It has nothing to do with the camera i might be using.

And he's definitely crippling his Pentax using any SDM lens.

SDM was compatible with K20D focussing speeds.

Last edited by normhead; 02-25-2017 at 08:21 AM.
02-25-2017, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
All good info, but the fact remains, the fact that he can get great images with a D7200 and can't with a K-3 doesn't mean anyone else can get those images, with or without a D7200. If you can't get them with a D7200 and can't get them with a K-3, the cameras for you are functionally the same.

The reason I can't get those types of image would be, I can't track birds that fast. I that nothing to do with the camera.
For this type of shooting you have to admit that not only keeping the bird in the frame is enough. I saw a lot of gorgeous images of wildlife taken with K3/K-3 II and I owned K-3 II. I tried also K1 with these new lenses and the af is decent enough for a lot of applications. I hope to have the chance to use a K-3 II with the new lenses and see if K1's af is better. With new lenses K1's af feels faster and more precise than K-3 II's af with older lenses (like DA* 300f4, DA 70mm Limited, etc.).

Later edit. When he was asked how he will take wildlife images if he is not going to use Nikon anymore his words were: my name is Mircea Bezergheanu and I'm an wildlife photographer. Give me any camera and a lens and I can prove that to anybody. I can take wildlife images even with a hair dryer.

It's just that he needs to put a little more effort with some cameras, that's all.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 02-25-2017 at 08:42 AM.
02-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some more differences between D7200 and K3: WR and WR lenses. Both cameras are WR but Nikon lenses do not - not always. Typically PRO FF grade have real WR , APSC PRO grade have something like WR, other lenses not. Primes ( as DX 35 1,8 I own) have a strange gasket on the mount (not an o-ring ) but there's no proof of WR. Pentax is much more precise and clear labeling WR the lenses that are proven to be so.

02-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bm75 Quote
Some more differences between D7200 and K3: WR and WR lenses. Both cameras are WR but Nikon lenses do not - not always. Typically PRO FF grade have real WR , APSC PRO grade have something like WR, other lenses not. Primes ( as DX 35 1,8 I own) have a strange gasket on the mount (not an o-ring ) but there's no proof of WR. Pentax is much more precise and clear labeling WR the lenses that are proven to be so.
I simply won't use a camera system without In Body Shake Reduction. Pentax spoiled me, I want to stay spoiled. As a sniper kind of guy. I often taking images while walking my dogs, or with friends. I can't afford set up and take down time for tripods etc.. I like to shoot on the fly. The combination of SR and 3 shot bursts means I can capture almost any image on a walk, without setting up a tripod.

WR is also important, on dewy mornings, in mist and fog, at Niagara falls, which I visit at least twice year. There have been lots of times I stopped shooting to look around and found everyone else had their cameras tucked under their coats.
02-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
He loves Pentax and he wanted to give it a try, but our official Pentax dealer is not interested in making him an offer to become Pentax ambassador. He wanted K1 for 2 reasons: landscapes and cheap price compared to D810.
Haha I never knew that. He would have been great showing that you can actually shoot wildlife with Pentax, if you have the skill. Too bad our dealer is retarded. However, he must do something about his landscape processing style, quite atrocious, if you ask me.
02-28-2017, 01:25 PM   #40
Pentaxian

It would have been interesting, but he's probably way too expensive for our small Pentax market Even Nikon (Skin Media, in a process of downsizing) can no longer meet his demands.
Let's see how it goes with Olympus.

If we ever met, I'll borrow him the D FA 150-450.
02-28-2017, 11:56 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It would have been interesting, but he's probably way too expensive for our small Pentax market Even Nikon (Skin Media, in a process of downsizing) can no longer meet his demands.
Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions... According to Mircea Bezergheanu, Nikon only provided him equipment and support for his wildlife tours, that's all. No money, no free lenses...nothing. He wanted to buy Nikon 105mm f1.4 and Nikon distributor gave him the same price for that lens as he would have paid for it if he boughted from F64. That's why he ended the colaboration with Nikon. He also said that he has spend a lot of his own money during his regular 1-2 month trips in which he tested Nikon gear. It's so expensive to give him a call and see his demands?

Expensive or not, if Pentax distributor doesn't even take "the effort" to call him, just to make sure if it's expensive or not and also to tell him that Pentax is alive and present...that's lack of proffesionalism and also lack of business intuition. As I said in another topic, seeing the attitude of Pentax distributor in Romania no wonder why Pentax is not popular. What's the point in having very good cameras and lenses, if the system is unknown by the general public? K1 would have had more sales in Romania due to the low price and excellent image quality if our Pentax distributor would be involved in promoting the brand.

Yesterday he received from Olympus the E-M1 Mark II and 4 lenses and today he is going to receive another 2 lenses. He will test Olympus system in his 2 weeks workshop in Tenerife and then he will test it for wildlife in our beautiful Dobrogea land. Instead of looking at Mircea Bezergheanu's Pentax reviews, we will see how he is going to raise even more Olympus in Romania. That's sad.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 03-01-2017 at 02:11 AM.
03-01-2017, 03:51 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Yes, support (equipment, service and other things) is expensive. We're talking about a level of support which Nikon (Skin Media) can no longer afford... because I cannot believe MB gave up because of a singular event.

We sort of know the demands - anything better than the E-M1 Mark II and those 6 lenses The higher bidder gets him, it's as simple as that. OTOH getting the K-1 and new gear out, in the hands of photographer, is a good idea; this would alleviate the belief that Pentax is still where they were years ago.

Pentax needs a Romanian ambassador, but I'm not sure if Mircea Bezergheanu is it.
03-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Yes, support (equipment, service and other things) is expensive. We're talking about a level of support which Nikon (Skin Media) can no longer afford... because I cannot believe MB gave up because of a singular event.
No longer support? Next month Nikon has a big event in the Danube Delta where they will provide a lot of gear for photographers to test. And they do that quite often. They were so confident and arrogant with MB and this cost them because that guy is not a puppet.

We sort of know the demands - anything better than the E-M1 Mark II and those 6 lenses The higher bidder gets him, it's as simple as that. OTOH getting the K-1 and new gear out, in the hands of photographer, is a good idea; this would alleviate the belief that Pentax is still where they were years ago.
Anything better than E-M1 Mark II. What? Do you think Pentax can't keep up with E-M1 and those 6 lenses? Mircea Bezergheanu was interested in Pentax K1 for landscapes. Olympus has nothing to match K1 for landscapes.

Pentax needs a Romanian ambassador, but I'm not sure if Mircea Bezergheanu is it.
Nikon has also others ambassadors in Romania, but no one knows them, or almost no one. Yesterday F64 publish an interview with other Nikon ambassador, Gina Buliga. She's not even close in terms of popularity to Mircea Bezergheanu. But I think an ambassador (no matter who he is) is better than none and therefore I agree with you, Pentax need an ambassador in Romania.
03-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #44
Pentaxian

OK, Dan, since you know everything there's no point in discussing it further, and we definitely shouldn't even consider that the other party might have a different point of view

I said "better than the E-M1 Mark II and those 6 lenses" (which are actually 7, with one more to come) and I'm talking about the offer, not the technical capabilities of the gear. So, at least a K-1 with 8 lenses? Then there's the Olympus marketing which claims that a 300mm f/4 is the equivalent of a Pentax D FA* 600mm f/4 (which Pentax doesn't have).
Maybe I'm wrong and Pentax could've won MB over with a smaller kit. I still see this as a sort of an auction, though...
03-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Nikon, still take lenses out places for people to try? Wow.

%tears or so ago, I went to Henry's EXPOsure where the Pentax staff put the then new DA 560 in my hands and urged me to try it. Of course the two lenses I was really interested in , the 31 and 77 they didn't have. But I put a DA 15 on my camera and a few others I was interested in.

SInce then as far as I can tell Pentax is extinct. The older Japanese gentlemen who was fond of reciting all the old school Pentax catch phrases must have retired by now. EXPOsure is no more.