Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

RH: i will swap you a AE-1 for your MZ-S, then you will be Canon all the way! Deal?

08-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote

I still have my Canon 5d and the 24-105 L and 80-200 IS L zooms left --- however
I am now contemplating selling that off to buy more Pentax stuff

kman
Just in case that Canon users are right and there will be a 5D II this fall, better decide before this becomes reality and the prices on used 5Ds drop more
08-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Just in case that Canon users are right and there will be a 5D II this fall, better decide before this becomes reality and the prices on used 5Ds drop more

that for sure has crossed my mind ---- i need to decide right now

regarding my profession ( graphic arts / pre-press / offset press / digital press )
if anyone has any questions regarding matching colors from RGB ( photo capture )
to cmyk ( offset press ) with profiles and all of that stuff ---- I will be more than happy to help ---- however I must tell you all that I am only the company manager
who is in close contact with my pre-press people ---- I am the guy who knows of the problems with color matching and some of the solutions ---- detailed stuff I refer to the folks who push the pixels ( if you know what I mean )

kman
08-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
It appears you are basing your statement on one thing - the mirror, and ignoring many other factors such as the amount of light that passes through the lens, the focusing screen and the pentaprism. Even so, don't forget that not all mirrors will reflect the same amount of light. It is entirely possible the smaller Pentax mirror reflects more light than the Cannon. You should really think about what you are saying before posting. As Mark Twain, an American author once said, "It is better to be quite and be mistaken for a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

BTW, you count me out of the "everyone knows" too.
I have used both the Pentax DSLRs with pentaprism viewfinders and my 5D for a long time and have more than adequate experience with them.

For an APS-C DSLR, the Pentax's one is very good but it is not match with the FF finder of the 5D. It is unarguably that the magnification of the Pentax DSLRs, even with a 0.95X magnification, is yet smaller than the 5D's finder after cropped. How could a smaller finder with less magnification can be better for MF? If so, no one would need to buy the finder magnifier mounted to the eyepiece to do the MF works then.

On paper the 5D's finder is better. Practically, I still find the 5D finder to be better, both larger and brighter. As for practically using my 5D with MF lenses, Takumar and Pentacon etc. M42 lenses are working flawlessly in MF on my 5D, no problem here.

08-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #35
Banned

except your opinion doesn't equal fact rice and you haven't shown any actual evidence to prove that the 5D is better for MF'ing. not that you could of course since one cant prove opinion.
08-08-2008, 11:20 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
except your opinion doesn't equal fact rice and you haven't shown any actual evidence to prove that the 5D is better for MF'ing. not that you could of course since one cant prove opinion.
He should mention that those 5D users who tent to use MF lenses on their 5Ds use non stock screens, EE-s being one very popular one i saw mentioned frequently.
Mostly since the stock screen is not so suitable for MF.
08-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Not that simple, I think!

QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
RH: i will swap you a AE-1 for your MZ-S, then you will be Canon all the way! Deal?
Even if I am willing to do so (but of course NOT actually!), I still have more than a dozen of Pentax AF lenses: F, F*, FA, FA*, FAJ, DA, DFA, FA Limited. WHAT comparable Canon glass will you offer to swap with mine? ;-)

Also, what is going to swap for my K100D? ;-))

Honestly tell you, even I myself cannot find a replacement for my FA*85/1.4 in the Canon land. I do have an EF 85/1.8 for quite a while now. Despite it is just a nice lens, it is by no means could match the excellent image quality and unique characteristics of the FA* 85. So, please give me your offers, I would be very grateful to accept is there is any!
08-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forums kmanlaker! Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

c[_]

08-09-2008, 04:35 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
All this adapting is what made me look at the K20D at the first place.
I no longer have the Takumars that drove me here. But i am still a very happy camper. (Sorry i like the cameras functions with KA a whole lot more than with M42/K)
I got my K20D about a month ago. I spent the first two weeks with nothing but Takumars in the bag. Then I thought I really ought to give it a try with K-mounts, so I stuck those in the bag for a week. By Wednesday I was sorely tempted to swap them back out again, but decided to stick it out. I then pulled the K-mounts out, stuck my Takumars back in, and am similarly camping happily. (Don't care a damn for most of the functions most of the time, so long as it meters in Av and I can set ISO with a wheel).
08-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #40

Original Poster
Honestly tell you, even I myself cannot find a replacement for my FA*85/1.4 in the Canon land. I do have an EF 85/1.8 for quite a while now. Despite it is just a nice lens, it is by no means could match the excellent image quality and unique characteristics of the FA* 85. So, please give me your offers, I would be very grateful to accept is there is any![/QUOTE]

Hi Rice

i will totally agree with your opinion on the Canon 85mm f1.8 --- it is an OK lens
which is one of the lens' that I have gotten rid of. I replaced it with a DA 70mm Limited on my k10d and this is what led me to go back and compare some images taken with the 5D and the non L 85mm. What I discovered was that on some images the 5d with the 85 was front focusing sometimes and that my pentax stuff was right on the mark ( so far ).

This is another strike against my 5d ----

regarding the discussion on the viewfinder issue ( 5d vs k10d ) ---- I know where you are coming from on the side of the increased size of the mirror etc.---- however I think you are missing the critical link between viewfinder and focuing screens. I have noticed for 3 years ( I bought the 5d right when it came out ) that the image in the veiwfinder / focusing screen looks like it is in focus most of the time - and I mean the whole focusing screen look sharp. I spoke to Chuck Westfall
as I was a CPS member at the time and he explained that the focusing screen does not show critical focus i.e. the difference beteween focus and non focused areas in the image have been "compressed" as in there is not as much differenation as there would be if you purchased the other focusing screen from Canon. I hope that I have been able to explain this ???
the bottom line was that with the 5d out of the box is that you get a bright focusing screen that really stinks at manual focus / or for that matter it also stinks for being able to detemine if you are actually focused where you want to be, even with autofocus.
Now back to my original assessment --- regarding the preceding info --- I still find my pentax does a much better job of showing you what is in focus and what is not as compared to the 5d --- I also still believe that my pentax in general has a much better overall viewing ability compared to my 5d

kmanlaker
08-09-2008, 06:48 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I have used both the Pentax DSLRs with pentaprism viewfinders and my 5D for a long time and have more than adequate experience with them.

For an APS-C DSLR, the Pentax's one is very good but it is not match with the FF finder of the 5D. It is unarguably that the magnification of the Pentax DSLRs, even with a 0.95X magnification, is yet smaller than the 5D's finder after cropped. How could a smaller finder with less magnification can be better for MF? If so, no one would need to buy the finder magnifier mounted to the eyepiece to do the MF works then.

On paper the 5D's finder is better. Practically, I still find the 5D finder to be better, both larger and brighter. As for practically using my 5D with MF lenses, Takumar and Pentacon etc. M42 lenses are working flawlessly in MF on my 5D, no problem here.
I wish I could make sense of this, but it's difficult.

First off, are you comparing a stock 5D with the stock focusing screen, using stock Canon lenses to a Pentax also using stock pentax screen and lens? If not, you are comparing apples to oranges and the comaprison is useless.

You really need to get off the size issue as size alone does not guarantee better light transmittal.
08-09-2008, 07:09 AM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I wish I could make sense of this, but it's difficult.

First off, are you comparing a stock 5D with the stock focusing screen, using stock Canon lenses to a Pentax also using stock pentax screen and lens? If not, you are comparing apples to oranges and the comaprison is useless.

for the record I am using "stock" focusing screens on both cams
this is one of my pet peeves with Canon --- the fact that they sell a high level 5d that has a screen that is not really designed for manual focus, in other words "oh you want to actually see what is in focus" well then buy a different focusing screen from us

You really need to get off the size issue as size alone does not guarantee better light transmittal.
as a side note --- if you do not mind telling me --- where in Michigan are you located??? I am in Northeast Indiana, not far from the Michigan border

Kman
08-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #43
Moderator PEG Judges

Just to follow on about the bright view finder, I thought the standard K10D was good until I discovered the following:

I had trouble getting fine focus with my Pentax manual lenses on the K10D, pictures not always as sharp as I would like, sort of bit hit and miss as to when, oh the joys of getting older.

I’ve been to the optician and yes, new glasses on the way, (had been 4 years since my last eyeball overhaul) this in itself will no doubt go a long way to fixing my problem.

But I still thought I needed a split prism with microprism ring, like in my old LX and having read the various threads, Katzeye seemed to be the way to go.

So got the standard Katz Eye focusing screen for the Pentax K10D & K20D. Which is the prism type, Katz Eye plus split prism w/microprism collar, I paid for the extra for the optibrite treatment, I just want everything as bright as it can possible be, if not even brighter. I didn't bother Pentax AF area brackets or grid/crop lines, as I'm mainly a manual man.

Installed first time no probs, viewfinder now just amazing bright etc. Focus easy and swift, if you manual focus, jus get one of these, truly mega.

You can contact the manufacturer on http://www.katzeyeoptics.com
08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
that for sure has crossed my mind ---- i need to decide right now

regarding my profession ( graphic arts / pre-press / offset press / digital press )
if anyone has any questions regarding matching colors from RGB ( photo capture )
to cmyk ( offset press ) with profiles and all of that stuff ---- I will be more than happy to help ---- however I must tell you all that I am only the company manager
who is in close contact with my pre-press people ---- I am the guy who knows of the problems with color matching and some of the solutions ---- detailed stuff I refer to the folks who push the pixels ( if you know what I mean )

kman
Thats a pretty brave offer, I will surprised by now if you have'nt had a heap of pm's (personal messages) asking for help.

I'll just ask mine publicly...

But first the background to the question;
Printing is something I am yet to come to grips with and have only mudlled through. Dark prints compared to what I have on the computer screen is my major problem ( ans I suspect that of most home printers from what I read). Colour matching? yeah well, compromise is the word here!! which I am told is all about monitor /printer calibration.
Because its such a hassle to get a worthwhile print, and subject to a lot of trial & error (= wasted paper & ink!!) I generally forget what settings I have set things to when I get a good one. I use an Epson R230. Also generally find I get a 'better' result if I print from either the Pentax Browser or Epsons own software. Forget Lightroom.
Am also in the throes in changing all my computing over to Apple, started the process with the purchase of a Macbook and will follow it up shortly with a top spec Imac.

The question: (thought you would never get here didn't ya )
IF you were buying a wide format printer.....which direction would you go?

Cheers.
08-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #45

Original Poster
The question: (thought you would never get here didn't ya )
IF you were buying a wide format printer.....which direction would you go?

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

that is a question that I am not really in a postion to answer --- I personally have an Epson 2400 at home and within the past couple of years I know that HP and Canon have introduced some nice printers, however I really do not have any experience with these. My only comment would be to find some type of monitor calibration tool and start with that. I know after I bought one and calibrated the monitor, i was able to get closer to monitor/ printer matching. but it is never 100% accurate on all colors --- just closer

kman