Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #46
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
Hi All

I am new K10D owner ( but not that new to pentax )
I used to shot alot of commercial product with my Canon stuff
ie 5D and L glass --- but I am now comparing the sharpness of my "new" k10d ( 1 month )
with the DA 70mm Limited vs the Canon 85mm 1.8 ( non L ) and I gotta tell ya
it is no contest ---- Pentax all the way ---- if fact I may now sell my 5d with the
L glass and buy more Pentax glass. I have always loved the look of the Taks
I go way back into the early 70's with an SP 500 and a couple of Taks. Call me crazy but me thinks I need to dump the Canon stuff and get some real sharp
Pentax kick butt glass ----- Am I crazy????? please don't answer that

one happy k10d owner without any focus issues ( you know the back and front focus stuff with lens )

kman

This is absurd and just a bunch of lies! (just kidding!)

Glad you like your gear

Ironically enough, I just left Pentax for Canon for non-IQ reasons of course, and last night I just ordered the 85mm f/1.8 for an upcoming wedding (and general portraits). Doh! Go figure hehe

I'm generally happy with Canon's kit lens (28-135mm), and I know the 85 will be sharper, so I'll be a happy camper. I stick around this forum, though, because the community is great and they post some very nice pictures!

Too bad you don't have perhaps the 400mm f/5.6L or the 100-400 to sell, as I'll be in the market very soon for one or the other!

Oh, and yeah, if you were to post this on DPR you'd be labeled a heretic -- I found myself defending K20D IQ vs. Canon and was basically deemed psychotic

08-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote

Glad you like your gear

Ironically enough, I just left Pentax for Canon for non-IQ reasons of course, and last night I just ordered the 85mm f/1.8 for an upcoming wedding (and general portraits). Doh! Go figure hehe

I'm generally happy with Canon's kit lens (28-135mm), and I know the 85 will be sharper, so I'll be a happy camper. I stick around this forum, though, because the community is great and they post some very nice pictures!

Too bad you don't have perhaps the 400mm f/5.6L or the 100-400 to sell, as I'll be in the market very soon for one or the other!

Oh, and yeah, if you were to post this on DPR you'd be labeled a heretic -- I found myself defending K20D IQ vs. Canon and was basically deemed psychotic
You are now banned from this forum
08-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote

Glad you like your gear

Got a job where they wouldn't listen to you and made you get a Canon?
08-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #49
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Got a job where they wouldn't listen to you and made you get a Canon?
Nah, I needed lenses past 300mm and higher FPS than what Pentax offers. Plus, yes I will admit, the camera simply focuses faster, esp. in low light. It's not a "OMG THIS IS AWESOME!" difference, but it's definitely there.

The major factor was the longer glass, though - Pentax simply didn't offer what I wanted in that area and Canon did. (Nikon didn't either -- They don't make a single affordable 400mm lens!)

08-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
To be honest with you guys these product shots are not that exicting --- it was not like I was doing cool stuff like Budwieser Beer campaigns or anything like that
it was mainly automobile engine and chassis parts --- you know the pain the butt ones with lots of highly polished metal --- I learned a whole about spectoral hightlights and how to minimize them ( double diffusion )
DUDE!! That's right up my alley! Post those pix!

I'm a shade-tree wrench turner from waaay back, and I'm about to begin the process of an engine swap on a Mercury Mystique. I'll be stuffing a 3.0 from a Sable into the engine bay and adding Contour SVT cams and cutting in a custom modified SVT intake manifold.... If anybody cares to know what I was doing...
08-14-2008, 05:17 AM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I have used both the Pentax DSLRs with pentaprism viewfinders and my 5D for a long time and have more than adequate experience with them.
I assume from this that you haven't used the K10D or K20D, just other Pentaxes with pentaprism viewfinders. Therefore you can't comment on the OP's assertion. The K10D viewfinder is a lot better than my *istD for example.

Nick
08-14-2008, 05:52 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NickC Quote
I assume from this that you haven't used the K10D or K20D, just other Pentaxes with pentaprism viewfinders. Therefore you can't comment on the OP's assertion. The K10D viewfinder is a lot better than my *istD for example.

Nick
Your assumption is wrong. I have used the K10D many times so that I decided this is not the camera I should buy. The K10D's finder is brighter but MF is easier and more accurate with the *ist D, just because its matte texture is clearer (so it is dimmer).

In fact, the K10D and 5D's finder are somehow alike (putting aside that the 5D's finder is larger and collect more light). The *ist D is different (which I prefer for MF).

08-18-2008, 12:19 AM   #53

Iused to shoot canon myself and still have my eos1-n, but sold my 30d and xti after purchasing the k10.Now owning the k20d and and most da*lens I have no regrets going back to pentax.Not only am I getting superb results with the new da lens but the same goes for some of those tak primes,and with built in shake reduction what a bargain.P.S. I still have yet to have a front/back focus problem.