Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 10:11 PM - 7 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Well the KP has arrived... My impression...

Well today was the big day my new black Pentax KP arrived and initial impressions are VERY good. Color me impressed BIG time.

Appearance/Styling:

This is one awesome looking camera I get a very strong 1980's Pentax vibe from it. The strong hints of Pentax from that era are all over this new mid/upper tier body. I think it looks even better in person than the photos. The front dial which was repositioned not only looks sweet but is ergonomically correct as well with the small grip at least and my relatively large hands.

Performance:

This is an impressive camera... ISO 6400 no problem instead of 100-3200 on the K3II I use I am doing 100-6400 on the KP, I likely could stretch to 12,800 or even higher but 6,400 means the KP can get into situations where the K3II can only dream of getting relatively low noise photographs. Next up was autofocus performance, wow it was one thing I didn't think I would notice but I did! It is definitely speed wise a nice little bump already over the impressive K3II. Also the shake reduction is even slightly better hand holding 1/10 second shots no problem. The people saying it is not a flagship camera due to no dual SD card slots (which does stink) or no top LCD screen etc. can rest assured this might be a fashion forward camera but has performance of a crop body flagship in my humble view. If you ignore those few overcoming this feels like a high end crop camera.

Ergonomics:

The small hand grip even with my larger hands was comfy. I think it will remain on for much of the time especially with my Limited 20-40 which will be this cameras primary lens. Light weight and with a larger Limited lens like the 20-40 still doesn't feel heavy at all. Low weight enough for people just to enjoy taking pictures. This is a FUN and slightly different camera that makes you want too shot photos.

More thoughts later as time goes on. Getting sleepy right now and better get to bed too.

Last edited by gm4life; 02-25-2017 at 10:16 PM.
02-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very interesting report! Thank you for writing it. Hope to see some of your pictures from this camera.
02-25-2017, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to hear. I pre-ordered mine yesterday (also in basic black, despite agonising over the choice for some time).

My plan is to use it as a travel camera with my ø49 limiteds (15, 21, 35, 43 and 77, with maybe the DFA100WR as an honorary member) and HD55-300.
02-26-2017, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #4

I'd still prefer a barbed-wire enema than make-do with that as a K-3II successor...

02-26-2017, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
I'd still prefer a barbed-wire enema than make-do with that as a K-3II successor...
Good thing it isn't, then!

CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
3. Do you feel that there is still room for a flagship-level APS-C body, i.e. a K-3 II replacement, alongside the K-1?

Compactness and quickness are advantages of the APS-C format compared to full-frame. We feel that there is a need for an APS-C flagship model with these advantages.

A successor to the K-3 II is being researched.
02-26-2017, 12:55 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting option. I guess the Northern winter fires the imagination. However, you're on safe ground, really, as it's been known for some time that it isn't the K-3ii successor.
02-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll admit i'm tempted by the KP. But my K5IIs is still working fine along with my two K-1s all of which are getting a solid work out during the fringe festival here in Adelaide. If my K5IIs fails, I might look into getting a KP.

02-26-2017, 01:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nice to hear. I pre-ordered mine yesterday (also in basic black, despite agonising over the choice for some time).

My plan is to use it as a travel camera with my ø49 limiteds (15, 21, 35, 43 and 77, with maybe the DFA100WR as an honorary member) and HD55-300.
Where did your pre-order from, Sandy? I'm considering a KP as a travel camera, too, with my DA15, FA43 and 77, and probably a DA20-40. Reports like this are encouraging.
02-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Where did your pre-order from, Sandy?
C R Kennedy online. The fact that they have an office in Adelaide makes it almost like a B&M store.
02-26-2017, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #10
Banned

This retro-styled gem is indeed a very lucrative and valuable camera.
I thought of getting three; one for each hand, and one strapped with sellotape on top of my head.
02-26-2017, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think anyone buying the KP will do so with the intention of making do. It's missing a few flagship features, but those buying it will have done their research and will know whether-or-not it meets their needs. I suspect there will be a lot of extremely-satisfied KP owners based on what we know so far
02-26-2017, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"PENTAX has a long history of producing high performance yet compact and light-weight cameras. For example, the Limited lens line is a unique series that customers take great pleasure in owning. We wanted to produce a quality compact body that can be a good match for the Limited series lenses. "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/cpplus-2017/cp-2017-pentax-interview-part-1.html

That's what the KP is for
02-26-2017, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
This retro-styled gem is indeed a very lucrative and valuable camera.
I thought of getting three; one for each hand, and one strapped with sellotape on top of my head.
Apparently, the barbed-wire enema hasn't yet made it Down Under.
02-26-2017, 02:55 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently, the barbed-wire enema hasn't yet made it Down Under
Thankfully.
02-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #15
Banned

Apparently, the barbed-wire enema hasn't yet made it Down Under.
Our Aussie customs are very good in my part of Territory because such things nor words never reached my Walkabout Creek.