Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 01:56 AM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
If you're so desperate, why not buy a K-3 or K-3 II?
Indeed. It won't have the high ISO capabilities of the next APS-C flagship, but at current prices it's a steal...

02-27-2017, 11:41 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
This equates to some form of cruel and inhumane torture, of which barbed-wire enemas are but one example.
Man, anyone who is this upset probably needs to take a vacation or something.
02-27-2017, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Indeed. It won't have the high ISO capabilities of the next APS-C flagship, but at current prices it's a steal...
No kidding 850-900 with a battery grip and sometimes a flash it is a steal, that is how my dad ended up with one too.

Great camera for the money... One of the best deals on the market now.
02-27-2017, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a little more tempted than I was at first. I want a small crop body again at some point and taking the larger batteries is a big plus for me. My K-3 occasionally gets flaky so it might come time to replace it in the next few months. I'll hold out for the moment but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

02-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I'm a little more tempted than I was at first. I want a small crop body again at some point and taking the larger batteries is a big plus for me. My K-3 occasionally gets flaky so it might come time to replace it in the next few months. I'll hold out for the moment but I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Remember the large the batteries are only usable with the battery grip not due out till May/Juneish I heard. You will very much so like it if you want a smaller camera.
02-28-2017, 01:50 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Man, anyone who is this upset probably needs to take a vacation or something.
Guess second-degree humor is not everyone's thang...
02-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
Remember the large the batteries are only usable with the battery grip not due out till May/Juneish I heard. You will very much so like it if you want a smaller camera.
Oh right. That's not quite as exciting then. The niche this fits into is a camera than needs to be small and be able to take some abuse as it will be going skiing, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. Bigger batteries only in the grip might come in handy but not as handy as using them in the body.
K-70 might be just as good for my needs and would save me some money.

02-28-2017, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
Guess second-degree humor is not everyone's thang...
Honestly sometimes it's pretty hard to tell tone and intent on forum posts.
02-28-2017, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh right. That's not quite as exciting then. The niche this fits into is a camera than needs to be small and be able to take some abuse as it will be going skiing, mountain biking, backpacking, etc. Bigger batteries only in the grip might come in handy but not as handy as using them in the body.
K-70 might be just as good for my needs and would save me some money.
I know it is a bit of bummer along with a few other things it is missing vs. K3II. But at least they can be used with the battery grip for more shooting. You do make great points but it is what it is.
02-28-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster

A few photos of Pentax KP with the DA Limited 20-40mm HD.

Last edited by gm4life; 02-28-2017 at 06:39 PM.
02-28-2017, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good! That would make for a nice compact kit.
02-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't been squinting at text.. does this come with a 20-40 as kit? Nearly every KP image I've seen has a 20-40 attached.
02-28-2017, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I haven't been squinting at text.. does this come with a 20-40 as kit? Nearly every KP image I've seen has a 20-40 attached.
Not officially from Ricoh/Pentax, I had to get the 20-40 for it separately... But B&H is NOW offering a bundle/kit through them.

Pentax KP DSLR Camera with 20-40mm Lens Kit (Black) B&H Photo

Not a bad price with that awesome lens!

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 10:00 PM ----------

Looks good! That would make for a nice compact kit.
Thanks, I wanted to share a few crummy real world iPhone photos of it anyways!
03-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

I've really been wavering on this one. Had it pre-ordered a couple weeks back from Adorama and cancelled it. Put it back in the cart a few days ago then emptied it.

I like the improvements Pentax has made with the KP. A LOT. I can see me using the DoF bracketing for portrait stuff. More brightness range is nice too. The improved shake reduction? Another stop is always good. Pixel-shift? Yup. But while it definitely has a throwback look to it there's just something a bit off design-wise IMHO. So far it's just not growing on me. It's also obvious Pentax is taking all the price they think the market will bear, but seeing as it's not that much of a jump in features and operation from the k70 I'm leaning towards waiting.

I have a perfectly serviceable KS2 ( and a backup) and a good collection of glass now, so I think I'm going to stand pat and see if Pentax does come up with a K3II replacement in the next few months. If not then there will surely be sale prices by the holidays on the KP.

In the meantime I'll start socking away $25 every payday for whatever I'll do camera-wise the latter part of the year. Big plus: My wife won't complain about the charge on the CC. Happy wife and all that....
03-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The styling of the two is really nice.

The KP + DA21 is also pretty nice.