Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2017, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pics - it sort of wants a black DA15 on it too. Or anything with Takumar styling.

03-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
A few photos of Pentax KP with the DA Limited 20-40mm HD.
Yep! Great looking combo. Thanks for sharing and showing what they look like together.

Glenn
03-02-2017, 03:25 PM   #48

The KP is definitely a handsome camera and perfect with the limited lenses. I haven't noticed much improvement over the K3ii in either autofocus speed or high iso noise.
I will use the KP for street and the K3ii with battery grip and 16-50 & 50-135 for events.
03-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Nice pics - it sort of wants a black DA15 on it too. Or anything with Takumar styling.
Don't worry I could set that up to for a photo of the two together. Makes for a nice small street photography pairing, I did put the 15mm on it and it shot a frame or too. Good pairing as well.

Thanks for the kind words about the pics.

Give me a few days will get another lazy iPhone photo of a black KP and 15mm Limited.

03-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gm4life Quote
hm

03-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #51

Please answer a Pentax KP question

By way of background, I am in my very late 60's and was very active in photography in the days of film. I have various point and shoot digital cameras. I am now torn between buying a Pentax KP and a Fujifilm X-T20. I can't stand the lack of a viewfinder on point and shoot cameras. I find it impossible to see what I am shooting in bright sunlight; the LCD is just too hard to see.

My pentax KP questions.

1) I understand there are 27 focus points. If I am looking through the viewfinder can I move the focus point around without taking my eye from the viewfinder? If so, how do I do it since there is no joy stick on the camera.
2) There are only 27 focus points on the KP. The X-T20 has lots more. Should I be concerned?
3) If I purchase the KP, I will get ti with the 20-40mm lens. I am also considering the 70mm f2.4 lens. Is the 70mm weather sealed? Any thoughts about my choice.
03-03-2017, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NuDrake Quote
By way of background, I am in my very late 60's and was very active in photography in the days of film. I have various point and shoot digital cameras. I am now torn between buying a Pentax KP and a Fujifilm X-T20. I can't stand the lack of a viewfinder on point and shoot cameras. I find it impossible to see what I am shooting in bright sunlight; the LCD is just too hard to see.

My pentax KP questions.

1) I understand there are 27 focus points. If I am looking through the viewfinder can I move the focus point around without taking my eye from the viewfinder? If so, how do I do it since there is no joy stick on the camera.
2) There are only 27 focus points on the KP. The X-T20 has lots more. Should I be concerned?
3) If I purchase the KP, I will get ti with the 20-40mm lens. I am also considering the 70mm f2.4 lens. Is the 70mm weather sealed? Any thoughts about my choice.
If you shot film in its heyday, you probably won't be troubled by the fewer focus points on the KP. I mostly have my DSLRs set to single focus-point, anyway - the technique is focus, hold focus, compose and shoot. I couldn't comment on the Fuji.

The KP operating manual is available for download here.

03-03-2017, 12:58 AM   #53
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I mostly have my DSLRs set to single focus-point, anyway - the technique is focus, hold focus, compose and shoot. I couldn't comment on the Fuji.
If I'm shooting portraiture in portrait orientation, I tend to set a focus point closer to the subject's eyes. Also, for lenses where there is significant field curvature and the main subject will be off-centre, I will - if I remember - use a specific focus point; but otherwise, I usually stick to the centre point and focus / re-compose.

My old Samsung GX-10 only has eleven focus points, and for static subjects I've never found that even remotely limiting

The 20-40 is a nice lens - beautifully designed and built. However, whilst many owners seem happy with it, it's not one of my favourites. At the longer end, it seems to suffer from quite pronounced field curvature. That's not a problem if your subject is in the centre of the frame, but it pretty much demands using the outer focus points for off-centre subjects. Focus and recompose using the centre AF point isn't an option - at least, that's what I've found with mine, and I'm not the only one to have experienced it.

The 70/2.4 is superb. It took me a little time to warm to that focal length (equivalent to 105mm on full frame), and for quite a while I didn't use the lens as much as I'd intended for that reason. However, it's an absolute gem optically. The out-of-focus rendering is very pleasing, CA is well-controlled, and it's as sharp as you could wish for.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-03-2017 at 01:11 AM.
03-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) If I am looking through the viewfinder can I move the focus point around without taking my eye from the viewfinder? If so, how do I do it since there is no joy stick on the camera.
Yes. The four way controller on the back of the body is used to move the focus point around just like a joystick. Once you get used to it, it works well.
QuoteQuote:
No
QuoteQuote:
3) I am also considering the 70mm f2.4 lens. Is the 70mm weather sealed? Any thoughts about my choice.
No. Brilliant choice though. With a general purpose 20-40 WR zoom, the DA70 would be a great addition for portraits. Add the DA15 and you're set.
03-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #55
Pentaxian

NuDrake,it may help to tell us what sort of photography you are intending to do?....I shoot a Fuji and plenty of Pentax's .Perhaps an enquiry in the Fuji club in the non Pentax section may bring some good commentary as well.
The xt20 is a mini xt2....and if you are used to pointNshoot results the Fuji jpg engine will far surpass that level without doing any PP.

Last edited by surfar; 03-03-2017 at 03:16 AM.
03-03-2017, 09:56 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster

My pentax KP questions.

1.) Yes, the 4 way pad on the back of the body does allow for adjustments

2.) No 27 points IMHO is enough especially if you come from the film days. I use the center focus point a lot anyways

3.) 20-40 Limited is an awesome lens, I would highly recommend! If you go with a 15mm Limited like I have on the wide end (no weather sealing) and a 70mm Limited (no weather sealing) or a 55mm * which is weather sealed and has great optics BTW on the telephoto end you are set. I know the 55 isn't cheap nor does it focus super quickly like the DC motors but it is a very good, classic portrait length lens.

Go for it, I think a kit like mentioned above is a great option!
03-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by derrenhodson Quote
I haven't noticed much improvement over the K3ii in either autofocus speed or high iso noise.
Post us some high ISO samples between the two cameras (links to RAW files would be appreciated). Describe the situations or methodology that you used to compare AF.
03-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Post us some high ISO samples between the two cameras (links to RAW files would be appreciated). Describe the situations or methodology that you used to compare AF.
That would actually be pretty helpful to those of us wavering on the KP. Well, no me so much anymore. I've decided to wait a bit.
03-03-2017, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Nice combo. According to camera size, the KP is about the same size or smaller than a Fuji XT2. The Fuji primes are faster than the Pentax Ltd ones, but the Pentax limited are smaller and lighter. On top, the KP offers IBIS, the Fuji doesn't. And the KP is cheaper.
03-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Fuji XT2
Its not in the equation, the XT20 is....

KP and XT20 look good from the specs, both are very recently released....

Fuji CANT do IBIS, so they offer stabilisation on plenty of their lenses

XT20 beats the KPs price by around 20-25% depending on where you are.

---------- Post added 03-04-17 at 06:24 AM ----------

XT20 is more compact and lighter than the KP