Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
question on memory cards

I have both a ist dl and a k100d. In both cameras I use 1gig cards. My question is , will these cameras handle bigger cards. Thanks for any answers Rick

02-17-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wade7060 Quote
I have both a ist dl and a k100d. In both cameras I use 1gig cards. My question is , will these cameras handle bigger cards. Thanks for any answers Rick
Hi Wade!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, there is a new firmware out for each camera that will allow the cameras to support the new SDHC standards (starting at 4GB and up). I ran a 2 GB card (Transcend 150X) on my K100D before doing the firmware update with no problems.

Cheers!
02-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Hi Wade!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, there is a new firmware out for each camera that will allow the cameras to support the new SDHC standards (starting at 4GB and up). I ran a 2 GB card (Transcend 150X) on my K100D before doing the firmware update with no problems.

Cheers!
Hi Wade,
I have the istDL and have done the latest Download I now use the 4 gig cards with no problem. It's a great option to have when you need more memory.
02-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you for your quick replys. I will do that. Rick

02-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wade - don't mix up the firmware - each are specific to the model in question. I don't think the repair is covered under warranty if you've got the wrong firmware in there.

Happy shooting!
02-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wade7060 Quote
I use 2 GB cards in my K100D. I have three such cards. Two of them were purchased recently for $10 apiece. I have no intention to start using 4 GB cards. I understand that card failure is rare, but it just seems safer to me to have a couple "smaller" cards rather than one larger one. I put "smaller" in quotes because 2 GB, even shooting Raw, is still large enough for me to get about 200 photos.

Will
02-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Whatever you decide, just don't buy it from ebay. The one statistics quoted was that more than 90% SD cards sold in ebay are fake. I am sure there are some honest ones and some more reputable ones, but I don't think it's worth the risk.

On a related note, SanDisk has just announced a massive layoffs because of the recent collapse in flash memory pricing, and they predict that there will be a further 30-40% drop in price this year.
02-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I'm with Will. I use 2 GB cards in my K100D as well. I'd rather rely on multiple smaller capacity cards, and I also have a Hyperdrive 80 portable hard drive unit that I can d/l cards to when I'm "on the road" for a few days.