Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #1

Odd noises fron K10D

I was testing out my repaired Sigma flash unit the other day and, in burst mode, some strange 'electronic' noises started to come from the camera as well as the mechanical 'spring' type that it generates anyway.

This noise does not seem to be there in single shot mode.

SR on /off - no difference
Autofocus on / off / continuous - no difference
Grip on / off - no difference

I can not realy describe the noise which, to be fair, may hve been there for a while, but I was not taking any photos - just shooting the camera.

Any ideas??

Bill

08-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure it wasn't the flash charging?
08-09-2008, 03:20 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Sure it wasn't the flash charging?
Good question, but the flash was on a tripod using a TTL lead and I then tried it with the flash disconnected and it was still there.

I rang Pentax UK tech support yesterday who asked ME if I thought it was just the way the samera worked!! THEIR job I would have thought.

The sound is a bit like a noisy electronics board. I was shooting in RAW and RAW+ so it is a lot of data being thrown round.

wonder if it is the SD card?? Which I think is not the one I usually have in and a cheap one (Veho class 6 - 8GB £16 inc vat from e-buyer.com; you have to give it a go, got 4 aswill be getting a K20 next year - possibly).

'll check tonight and post results as it seems to be just me noticing this.
09-09-2008, 06:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
After being sent back to Pentax (twice!) I got it back yesterday with the explanation that the noise is the shutter magnet (???) pulling the shutter back into possition. This being done at the end of a continuous burst, and DURING a single shot, hence the difference.

This was from the Pentax chief engineer in UK. He is supposed to be snding me the details in a letter so I will post that if and when I get it.

09-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billgscott Quote
After being sent back to Pentax (twice!) I got it back yesterday with the explanation that the noise is the shutter magnet (???) pulling the shutter back into possition. This being done at the end of a continuous burst, and DURING a single shot, hence the difference.

This was from the Pentax chief engineer in UK. He is supposed to be snding me the details in a letter so I will post that if and when I get it.

Nice work, lots of people have asked this question. I myself noticed it when I first got the camera, but I backed stepped what I did with the camera and found it was only in continuous mode that it occurred so I thought it was the camera getting ready for the next shot to speed things up and get that 3fps; it never worried me. Although lots of people had not noticed it till much latter and thought it was a problem. This applies both to my GX10 and the Pentax K10D BTW thats why I feel its important to keep us as one group.