Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW and Noise

On another forum, there is a discussion about Pentax RAW mode. Someone says that in RAW mode, noise reduction functions when activated in camera. While I've never thought to try this, for testing purposes... does it?

02-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
On another forum, there is a discussion about Pentax RAW mode. Someone says that in RAW mode, noise reduction functions when activated in camera. While I've never thought to try this, for testing purposes... does it?
Generally, no. Most in-camera processing only applies to JPEG files.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-28-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You CAN change the settings from page 2 of the Rec. Mode menu, but I don't know if they will apply to RAW.
02-28-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It depends on the model. DxOMark.com testing showed that they suspected that some Pentaxes (eg the K-5 or K-x) had noise reduction active in RAW - in the case of the K-x and K-5, for ISO's above 1600.

But DxOMark testing no longer detects this in K-3 onwards, K-1 etc. This might change again when the KP is measured.

02-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It depends on the model. DxOMark.com testing showed that they suspected that some Pentaxes (eg the K-5 or K-x) had noise reduction active in RAW - in the case of the K-x and K-5, for ISO's above 1600.

But DxOMark testing no longer detects this in K-3 onwards, K-1 etc. This might change again when the KP is measured.
Hmm. This question came up in regards to the KP. An unknown then.

---------- Post added 02-28-17 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Generally, no. Most in-camera processing only applies to JPEG files.
This is what I had assumed to be the case. I expect my RAW files to be... RAW files...
02-28-2017, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Long shutter time NR certainly does affect the RAW image. It collects a second RAW image with the shutter closed and subtracts it from the first RAW image of the subject to remove dark current and white-pixel noise.

I don't know if the high ISO NR affects the RAW, though.
02-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Prior to getting my K-50 a while ago, I had downloaded some DNG files from Imaging-Resource to play with. I got all their ISO 6400 studio shots with different NR. The only thing I noticed was that the color shifted slightly towards the red/magenta side when NR was being used. It had more of a green/yellow tint without NR. I was using RawTherapee. Fine detail was about the same. I do suspect that RAW files still get some NR even when its off.

02-28-2017, 11:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
This is what I had assumed to be the case. I expect my RAW files to be... RAW files...
For Pentax that the case, more or less. I believe it is the same for Canikon. For Sony, Panasonic or Olympus, I think the raws are cooked.

The most important thing of raws vs jpeg is the dynamic range (12 or 14 bits vs 8) but it's true that if you applies things in camera and that you do it badly, that you may destroy some usefull information that a raw processing software with much more CPU, time and memory or more advanced algorithms could use for better results. So in a sense, it is better to not cook raws as then you have choice.

For example, take an old camera raw, use latest greatest lightroom/Dxo and compare what you got back in time to what you get today, and you'd find quite improved results. Easily 2EV gain.
03-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

But DxOMark testing no longer detects this in K-3 onwards
Yup, which is probably why some people say the K-3 is noisier than the K-5. It's really not, but the K-5 processing already does a bit of work for you in cleaning up the noise.
03-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Forum Member

Some older Nikon DSLRs with CCD sensors were called "star eaters" because they performed some kind of NR the RAW files. I think there is a suspicion that more modern Nikons also filter out noise in RAWs but I've never heard of any other cameras doing it though
03-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Pentax KP 1600 vs 100 iso raw files (files opened in Photo Ninja whitout noise reduction) : Fine details lost at 1600 iso.