Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yes, although I would have included two thumbnails of the 15mm and 35mm with a red outline.
It's quite obvious that the more you crop, the more noise you see (also in pictures of cats), and it isn't a function of the fl or aperture, just of the amount you crop.

I was using the term newbie related to photography basics, I'm an "astro newbie" as well

I like your pictures a lot, btw!
Thanks!

03-01-2017, 07:13 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Well, I only dipped my toe in the water few times, but since I got K-1 with astrotracer, I really want to try it in summer, we got almost no light pollution and plenty of great foreground objects like mountains and ponds within driving distance. I'm still reading up on theory, basically that's why I created the thread so people can enlighten me)
Astrotracer is not friendly to foreground objects. The sensor actually moves to track a fixed point in the sky, thus it will motion blur all foreground objects. You would have to shoot one exposure for the foreground and stack and mask you star exposure behind the foreground. that's a lot of PP.
03-01-2017, 07:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
Astrotracer is not friendly to foreground objects. The sensor actually moves to track a fixed point in the sky, thus it will motion blur all foreground objects. You would have to shoot one exposure for the foreground and stack and mask you star exposure behind the foreground. that's a lot of PP.
I don't mind tinkering with photos) recently started working with multiple exposures, that takes quite a bit of work to balance everything out too.
03-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mm, so I'm reading more of the materials from the Clarkvision. A lot of the Uwa vs fast wide lens seems to be less of a problem taking the Astrotracer in consideration. So I'm guessing using the Astrotracer with a fairly long exposure would allow to gather similar amounts of photons as with a 1.4 lens? I can take an exposure with AT off and mask the foreground into the final image to avoid the blur. I don't have a 1.4 lens for now, and bought 14 2.8 with astro in mind, would really like to use it to it's maximum potential.

03-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Mm, so I'm reading more of the materials from the Clarkvision. A lot of the Uwa vs fast wide lens seems to be less of a problem taking the Astrotracer in consideration. So I'm guessing using the Astrotracer with a fairly long exposure would allow to gather similar amounts of photons as with a 1.4 lens? I can take an exposure with AT off and mask the foreground into the final image to avoid the blur. I don't have a 1.4 lens for now, and bought 14 2.8 with astro in mind, would really like to use it to it's maximum potential.
I am a newbie here but from my understanding, the astrotracer use the possibility given by SR to move the sensor to follow the subject. The total amount of movement permited is quite small as the primary use is really SR and not an astrotracer.

Specialized gear allow to follow the stars for a much longer time, like what typically included in a telescope.
03-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I am a newbie here but from my understanding, the astrotracer use the possibility given by SR to move the sensor to follow the subject. The total amount of movement permited is quite small as the primary use is really SR and not an astrotracer.

Specialized gear allow to follow the stars for a much longer time, like what typically included in a telescope.
I think I saw someone posting a 5 minute exposure with the AT, that's plenty for me I think, especially with UWA, movement wouldn't show that much in there. Experimentation will show)