Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

K20d, still hotpixel issue with jpegs or something wrong with my camera?

Well I've been out tonight(first time with my camera in the dark!) and I got some mixed results. Updated the k20d to 1.01 before going out. When I got home again, going through what I've taken I found some strange pixels on some of the shots taken.

Here's some pictures, that I hope isn't too big. Made sure that the data when you right click it is working, and please don't complain if you think I've used strange setting when taking the pictures, still trying to learn.

First, a big picture. Taken in jpeg with "2 sec delay"

Then, a crop from that picture.

Crop from another picture that I found 3 in, turned the picture 90 degrees.
Jpeg and "2 sec delay"

I'm not too worried about this, but just wanted to share to make sure it isn't something wrong with my camera, might aswell return it directly then before I get too addicted to it. I'm very happy with the purchase, and having only owned the Camera for 30 hours this is what my VERY limited knowledge(first dsrl) and raw instead of jpeg managed to create on our first night out.

Last edited by Karn; 08-08-2008 at 08:57 PM.
08-08-2008, 05:34 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi Karn,

Don't give up yet!

While I haven't run into what you've described myself, my understanding is that there's a bug in the 1.00 firmware provided with the K20D. You need to go to the Pentax Website and get the latest firmware (version 1.01).

This ought to fix the hot pixels when using 2 second timer mode... I'm using it (version 1.01) and 2 second timer mode, and not experiencing this problem. But I shoot RAW, and convert to JPEG using ACR from CS3....

-Chris

Last edited by hinckc; 08-08-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: clarification
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
I've far from given up, the "problem" doesn't even bother me, since it doesnt show as much on RAW or normal taken jpegs. Mostly occurs when using the "2 sec timer delay".

I already got the firmware though, got it before I went out. Started camera to check now, and it does indeed say 1.01.

Last edited by Karn; 08-08-2008 at 08:58 PM.
08-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi Karn,

*sigh*, Going back and reading again, I can't believe I missed that in your original post.

Are the pixels in similar places in each shot? If so, you might try the "Pixel Mapping" option from the "Setup" menu.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas...

-Chris

08-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Not in the same spot, they move around quite alot. The crops are, for example taken on the right side in one image, and more to the left in the other. Even if a frequent blue + white/green close to eachother and then a red abit away from them seem to happen alot.

Did more pixelpeeping, and in atleast one picture if I zoom in alot I can find atleast 15 dots that got no reason beeing there. All looking like the ones I showed in the first post.

Anyone with any suggestions on what it might be? Should I send my camera back to have it checked out? Can it be something else creating it?

Last edited by Karn; 08-08-2008 at 08:59 PM.
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Karn

QuoteQuote:
I found some strange pixels on some of the jpegs taken with "2 sec delay" mode on a tripod......not in the same spot, they move around quite alot.
They're probably sub-atomic particles, with nothing better to do of an evening......LOL ! Very weird and not something I've ever noticed before, as I generally don't do many night shots. If I were you, I'd send an example of this phenomenon in to Pentax HQ and see what their technical bods have to say about it ?

Best regards
Richard
08-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Karn:
this is the problem dpreview mentioned IMHO...the 1.01 firmware fixed most of it, but there are still hotpixels that randomly move around w/ 2sec MLU. If you bought it locally, you might want to try swapping bodies and hope the sensor in the other one is better.
The other alternative is not to pixel peep :-)

08-08-2008, 07:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm mostly just trying to figure out if I got a bad ex. or if this is something common.
After some reading it seems like hotpixels are too be expected on all dSLRs on higher isos and warmer colors, especially those with higher megapixel count(k20d....).
So, I'll asume for now that it's normal and to be expected. It's not like it's a complicated thing to remove anyway.

And, I still like my k20d alot =)

Last edited by Karn; 08-08-2008 at 08:38 PM.
08-09-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hotpixels are common w/ longer exposures. That's why even the K10D has to take a 2nd frame to "subtract" those out.
The main issue w/ the K20D is these hot pixels move around so the subtracting the frame technique doesn't work and that was dpreview's gripe (which I agree with). That said, you usually won't notice it if you don't pixel peep :-)
08-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like green arrows

Hopefully everything gets solved