Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

K5-IIs compared to K-3 II and K-70; other options?

Hi everybody,

I hope to be soon one new member of the Pentax family.
Long story short, I lost my Canon 50D with all the lenses I had, and having now the freedom to change manufacturer, I'm really convinced about going with Pentax. Seems a solid system and offers much than Canon for the same price.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions regarding the choice of body. First I came across the K 3-II and I love all its features but it's a bit pricy for me (I could pull the trigger but I won't be able to go for anything beyond one, maybe two primes; so no backpack, remotes and other stuff).
I know that both the K-70 and K 5-IIs have less focus points, probably focus performance is also slower. Is it that different? Keep in mind I come from an old 50D How do they compare in terms of relatively high ISO? Other performance issues I should consider? I remember reading in this forum something about the possibility of the K-3 not being compatible with some new kind of lens attachment/mount, I don't remember the exact details. The K-70 should be compatible with that new/upgraded system but I wonder about the K-5 IIs.
I am by no means a professional, just an amateur. I like to take pics while traveling and I'm planning some mountain trips in the future.
Any recommendations on which route to take? I've thinking about getting a 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 2.4 to begin with; no weather sealed but back with Canon I didn't like my 18-270 due to lack of sharpness and I kind of began disliking zooms; maybe I'll go for one later to take advantage of the WR. Unless you tell me zooms are sharp in Pentax world!

Any thoughts and guidance will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

03-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't think you would be disappointed in the sharpness of the DA 16-85 or 18-135...The DA 20-40 is a Limited...All are WR unlike most of the primes.

The K-3 wasn't compatible with KAF4 (electro-magnetic aperture), but the firmware was updated so it is now compatible. The K-3 II has the GPS built in and some tweaks to the SR. They introduced Pixel Shift in that update. The K-3 doesn't have it.

And welcome to the forums

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-07-2017 at 11:07 AM.
03-07-2017, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by everis Quote
Hi everybody,

Long story short, I lost my Canon 50D with all the lenses I had, and having now the freedom to change manufacturer, I'm really convinced about going with Pentax. Seems a solid system and offers much than Canon for the same price.

So, I'd like to hear your opinions regarding the choice of body. First I came across the K 3-II and I love all its features but it's a bit pricy for me (I could pull the trigger but I won't be able to go for anything beyond one, maybe two primes; so no backpack, remotes and other stuff).
I know that both the K-70 and K 5-IIs have less focus points, probably focus performance is also slower. Is it that different? Keep in mind I come from an old 50D How do they compare in terms of relatively high ISO? Other performance issues I should consider? I remember reading in this forum something about the possibility of the K-3 not being compatible with some new kind of lens attachment/mount, I don't remember the exact details. The K-70 should be compatible with that new/upgraded system but I wonder about the K-5 IIs.
I am by no means a professional, just an amateur. I like to take pics while traveling and I'm planning some mountain trips in the future.
Any recommendations on which route to take? I've thinking about getting a 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 2.4 to begin with; no weather sealed but back with Canon I didn't like my 18-270 due to lack of sharpness and I kind of began disliking zooms; maybe I'll go for one later to take advantage of the WR. Unless you tell me zooms are sharp in Pentax world!

Thanks!
My 2 cents : I currently have the K-5IIs and frankly, the camera is better than excellent. It may not have the latest this and that, but it focuses quickly, feels great in hand, goes down to 80 ISO, the battery lasts forever and the pictures are as sharp as you's ever want. It may not be a K-3, K-70 or a KP, but if you can find a low shutter-count deal the camera would be an excellent entry into the Pentax APS-C line. The extra cash saved might allow better glass for you. When I shoot with practically any lens I own the results (the keepers I mean...) are extremely nice (I only shoot RAW and ALL my images are PP'd in LR systematically). Several of my K-5IIs pics have been published in a French sport magazine and I generally do Blurb photobooks from vacations (in 2016 it was India and Peru). The K-5IIs is a dependable workhorse that inspires confidence and with good glass, you just can't go wrong. My opinion is only worth 2 cents!
Enjoy your adventure.
03-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K-5IIs and the K-3II. I have done bird in flight photography with the K-5 IIs successfully, and also landscape. The AF is effective for moving or still subjects and images show fine detail. The K-3II is the more advanced version in some ways such as the AF, more detail in very distant subjects, in camera GPS, the pixel shift resolution feature, and more programmable user modes on a dial. The K-5IIs retains the pop up flash, which is useful with triggering off camera flashes when shooting in Pentax wireless mode. The K-3 II does not have a built in flash. Both cameras provide excellent results. Neither would be a disappointing choice. I currently have my K-5IIs on a Pentax 16-85, and my K-3II on a Sigma 150-500 DG OS.

03-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! You'd probably find it difficult to find a sharp superzoom in any make; too many optical compromises. Typically the shorter the range, the better they get. As well as the others noted, the 20-40 Limited is very sharp in Pentax-land!

You won't get a K-5IIs new as they were discontinued a couple of years back. The choice between current bodies is a balance, and down to what you want to get out of it: the K-70 has an articulated screen, newer sensor technology and is a little lighter, but fewer focus points and SD card slots, no battery grip and a smaller burst shot buffer. The K-70 may have slightly better high ISO and dynamic range, but realistically the half-a-stop or so may not be noticeable against the K-3/K-3II, and in any case often depends on post-processing software and technique (assuming RAW).

I haven't mentioned the KP as it's more expensive than the K-3II! The original K-3 was a step up in AF from the K-5II/K-5IIs, so if you can still get one (Amazon.com appears to still advertise them new at $400-ish which sounds like a bargain) and don't mind if it doesn't have GPS and pixel-shift - but has a flash - then that could be a good bet. There are many K-3 fans here.

But then, if you're going on mountain trips, pixel-shift (plus a tripod) could be a real benefit in terms of resolution and colour rendition, which brings us back to K-70 and K-3II (and KP).

Tough choice.
03-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5iis and K-3 would be my front runners at this point. The K-70 and KP would also be interesting. The K-3ii doesn't interest me since I don't like not having a pop up flash for the rare times I need it and I have no interest in GPS.

The lenses I would start with would likely be the 16-85 and the 55-300 (new PLM version if you get the K3 or newer - or DA version if you get the K-5iis). The DA 50 and DA 35 plastic lenses are nice and cheap and would be additional options you might consider but the quality of the zooms is quite good.
03-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi everybody,

Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum!

For what its worth, I have a K-5iis (in fact picked up a second body just recently as a backup) and you won't be disappointed by the K-5iis. I use my camera primarily for travel, landscapes, architecture and I am not in
any way a professional but I love the sharp results obtained. As Uncle Vanya mentioned, the pop up flash does come in handy when you need it. Focus and reliability on the K-5iis has never had me feeling disappointed and the body construction is incredible. I took a tumble in Washington DC in January in front of Ford's theater due to uneven cobblestone sidewalk and went down hard with my K-5iis with a Sigma17-50mm F2.8 mounted. From approximately a 5 ft fall to a cobblestone street, i was left bloody, broke my glasses, lacerated my hands and K-5iis bounced off the ground. The camera ended up just with some slight scratches at bottom and a little missing black paint. Lens and camera came out looking and working better than I did. Pricewise, the K-5iis is a great value ( picked up my second body for $400 with less than 18K clicks) and leaves room for some great Pentax glass whether you go for a Pentax Zoom or Prime lens.

Last edited by eminker; 03-07-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling error
03-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your comments.

My first option will be the K-3 due to compatibility with KAF4 system (just in case Sigma or Tamron come up with something interesting and affordable). Otherwise, K5-IIs! No easy choices in this world.
I will also be sure to check those zoom lenses Pentax offers.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I haven't mentioned the KP as it's more expensive than the K-3II! The original K-3 was a step up in AF from the K-5II/K-5IIs, so if you can still get one (amazon.com appears to still advertise them new at $400-ish which sounds like a bargain) and don't mind if it doesn't have GPS and pixel-shift - but has a flash - then that could be a good bet. There are many K-3 fans here.

Tough choice.?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I saw those offers on Amazon as well! That's crazy but to me doesn't seem legit. They ask you to get in touch with them before buying, who knows for what shady reason.
03-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will also be sure to check those zoom lenses Pentax offers.
Adam's sites are a great resource for K-mount lenses...

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com

Lens Clubs - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Lenses | PentaxForums.com Reviews
03-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

everis

if you haven't I would recommend that you look at these threads:

Pentax K-3 II - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-70 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

the last allows you to compare 3 different Pentax DSLRs side by side by side
03-07-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I have only been using Pentax, so I can’t compare auto-focus of the 2 systems (canon v pentax) and I am also spoiled big time by the build of Pentax APSC flagship body.
So… in my humble experience, If I were you looking at K-70 & K-5II & K-3II, I would go for a K-3II.
Secondhand K-3 (if you want popup flash which I want) or K-3II (if you want a building GPS and pixel shift feature).
I selected K-3 family over K-5II because simply it is a newer camera, way better auto-focus in low light and K-5 family has 16 Megapixels Vs 24 megapixels on K-3 family. Dynamic range / noise control in dark area on K-5 family is a little better than K-3, but with a bit of work on post process you will hardly see any difference.

…back with Canon I didn't like my 18-270 due to lack of sharpness and I kind of began disliking zooms…
DA limited or FA limited could be your answer here. Da 21 pair up with a 70 could be an excellent start up, IMO. Or DA15 pair with DA 35 or DA40.

… Unless you tell me zooms are sharp in Pentax world!...
Check out the DA 20-40. I currently shoot prime only but I got to admit, I am jealous at my friend. Seeing him go all day / night with a zoom, no lens change! However my primes produce sharper image, nicer color and nicer starbursts.((pat my back)) I am seriously think about get a 20-40 for my upcoming trip. Who want to change lens during a foreign trip with hand possibly full of shopping bags? not me! Search this forum for DA20-40 and general speaking, any zoom with * mark on its name. Have a look at sample images and judge it yourself if it is acceptable for you?
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I have only been using Pentax, so I can’t compare auto-focus of the 2 systems (canon v pentax) and I am also spoiled big time by the build of Pentax APSC flagship body.
So… in my humble experience, If I were you looking at K-70 & K-5II & K-3II, I would go for a K-3II.
Secondhand K-3 (if you want popup flash which I want) or K-3II (if you want a building GPS and pixel shift feature).
I selected K-3 family over K-5II because simply it is a newer camera, way better auto-focus in low light and K-5 family has 16 Megapixels Vs 24 megapixels on K-3 family. Dynamic range / noise control in dark area on K-5 family is a little better than K-3, but with a bit of work on post process you will hardly see any difference.

DA limited or FA limited could be your answer here. Da 21 pair up with a 70 could be an excellent start up, IMO. Or DA15 pair with DA 35 or DA40.

Check out the DA 20-40. I currently shoot prime only but I got to admit, I am jealous at my friend. Seeing him go all day / night with a zoom, no lens change! However my primes produce sharper image, nicer color and nicer starbursts.((pat my back)) I am seriously think about get a 20-40 for my upcoming trip. Who want to change lens during a foreign trip with hand possibly full of shopping bags? not me! Search this forum for DA20-40 and general speaking, any zoom with * mark on its name. Have a look at sample images and judge it yourself if it is acceptable for you?
Yup the 20-40 is an awesome lens! I sure love mine, it is like 3 primes in one.
03-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I would go for a K3ii if travel is your main thing. Being able to map your photos is pretty neat. Otherwise, any Pentax is of the last few years is fine. I wouldn't worry about image quality with any of them. I use my K3 with an O-GPS1, but I think it's more convenient to carry a small external flash and have GPS available all the time.
03-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stay away from contact before buying deals on Amazon. This is the vector for a lot of fraud.

'Contact us prior to ordering' scam? : amazon
03-08-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5IIs versus K3

Hi everybody,

Thanks!
I use and love both, the K5IIs and the K3 (and I know the K5II well)

As you mention price and consider the DA-L50/1,8 and DA-L35/2,4 (thats what I find they should be named), if this is your limit, then you could chose as such:

a) K3 if you need focus-peaking (which is great for macro and old manual lenses) and if you need those extra pixels

b) K5IIs because you can invest more into lenses (The K5IIs with focus-peaking would be my favourite, but this seems not possible, it was
only the M-processor coming with the K30 which allowed for this... too bad!)

I personally would not consider the K-70, because it is not as robust and possibly has the same faulty solenoid which was used in the K30 up to the K-S2.

The money saved you could invest into the DA35/2,8 limited, a great 35mm lens with 1:1 macro ability.

And yes, the DA20-40 limited is really great on both bodys (but not FF if ever you'd consider that!)

Another thought: The K30 and K50 are really great bodies as well, but some of them fail (same solenoid). Now, the repair is actually pretty easy.

If I'd have little or limited money, I'd conside a damaged K30, repair it or get it repaired (it will then last!) and invest more into good lenses.