Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 07:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Same speed saving 2nd image in jpeg to flu card?

Using Pentax k-3. I recently purchased a flu card to allow me to share photos when I'm away from my desk top. I typically shoot in raw then process and export in jpeg via lightroom. I take a lot of "snapshots" at family functions and people are always saying "send me that picture". I often forget who wanted which pic. So I am still recording images in raw to my 1st card and saving jpeg to the flu. I'm now able to send pictures directly to other people's phones or share them on social media easier. My only question is "does saving to 2 separate cards effect how fast the camera is able to take pictures at all"?

03-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do this also. I don't know that I have ever tried to determine this. If you set the JPG size to be small (sufficient for sharing) I can't imagine it will add a significant amount of overhead. I shoot this way frequently and don't find it limits me but the camera's speed rarely is an issue except when I am shooting in continuous mode and fill the buffer. The RAW files are by far the largest in this workflow and fill the buffer faster than the JPGs. The added amount from the small jpgs do not seem to me to be significant but again I have done no objective testing.
03-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bronsono Quote
Using Pentax k-3. I recently purchased a flu card to allow me to share photos when I'm away from my desk top. I typically shoot in raw then process and export in jpeg via lightroom. I take a lot of "snapshots" at family functions and people are always saying "send me that picture". I often forget who wanted which pic. So I am still recording images in raw to my 1st card and saving jpeg to the flu. I'm now able to send pictures directly to other people's phones or share them on social media easier. My only question is "does saving to 2 separate cards effect how fast the camera is able to take pictures at all"?
JPEG processing takes basically no time - probably faster than saving RAW. Just make sure to switch of image enhancement filter that are applied to JPEG.
Saving to two cards can take longer than saving to a single card only, but first you have the in camera buffer and after several shots saving gets slower, but not incredibly slow. Just try it out and it will be fine.
03-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bronsono Quote
"does saving to 2 separate cards effect how fast the camera is able to take pictures at all"?
The short answer is yes as there's a another write process involved, but probably not significantly so to cause you an issue.

Suggest you do a wee trial, when image capture is not mission critical and that will give you the confirmation you need.