Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's what I like about this place, there's no excuse for making the same mistake twice.
That's never stopped me...I've been banned so many times I have a bronze recognition plaque for it!

Just been enjoying the thread.....not much controversial about it, just some good information.

I would like to add that I really enjoy the Crop Mode of my K1. Shooting mostly wildlife it makes shooting much easier and is a delight to use. It's like having two cameras in one......Crop and FF...all at one price$$!

I understand there are those interested in maximum pixels, but for me the Crop Mode is generally plenty adequate.

When you half press and that Red Crop Frame lights up on the K1 screen, I am delighted every time! I can see exactly what I will get in the finished shot...I like that...a lot!

Regards!

03-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
So I'm to take that, as a no then?
What are we talking about again?

I plead the fifth, even though I'm Canadian.
03-14-2017, 01:55 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
would like to add that I really enjoy the Crop Mode of my K1. Shooting mostly wildlife it makes shooting much easier and is a delight to use. It's like having two cameras in one......Crop and FF...all at one price$$!
Its a great thing, very useful in many circumstances....16mp is good enough for plenty of situations
03-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
But, I don't see the Pentax registration distance as a problem, and niether does anyone else except maybe some short registration manufacturers. And they just want your money.
It isn't. This is a compromize...

On APSC and K3 with it too long registration distance, I truely enjoy the small telelenses we get like the FA77 or DA70. To get the same framing, you need much bigger 115mm lens on FF and on APSC mirrorless the telelenses around 70-90mm with the same apperture are much bigger/heavier.

But now, if I am to shoot WA, I can see all the lenses Fuji has like 14mm f/2.8, 16mm f/1.4, 18mm f/2, 23mm f/1.4 and 23mm f/2...

What I can see is my DA21 is similar to the 18mm f/2 or 23mm f/2. The max apperture is very different and the 23mm doesn't suffer of field curvature as much.

There isn't a better registration distance, it depend what framing and focal length you tend to use the most. On mirrorless with short registration distance, teles are bigger on typically smaller body: not so conveniant. But the WA lenses end up much small, better optically, less expensive. Your choice depend of what your preferences are.

03-26-2017, 02:13 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Beside I never got why really FF cameras are supposed to be better at landscapes. The DA limited we have for APSC are about the lenses that have the best flare resistance I know of. The package in APSC is still smaller overall (whatever your lens choice) and great WA angles lenses on FF are extremely expensive.

I would agree FF is better at low light and shallow dof, in particular because f/2.8 zoom offer so much possibilities and lenses are typically better at f/4 than f/2.8 or f/2.8 than f/2...

But for landscape? We all know the resolution of a modern APSC camera is more than we need. Landscape don't move and thanks to SR I can't say low light is really an issue for landscapes... There dynamic range, true, the camera that has the most of it is D810, not K1 and that's because of its 50iso mode. a K5-IIs give you the 80iso mode, enough resolution for any printing size requirement you may have and a bunch of dedicated APSC primes that are optimized for landscape: DA15, DA21, DA40...
03-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Beside I never got why really FF cameras are supposed to be better at landscapes. The DA limited we have for APSC are about the lenses that have the best flare resistance I know of. The package in APSC is still smaller overall (whatever your lens choice) and great WA angles lenses on FF are extremely expensive.

I would agree FF is better at low light and shallow dof, in particular because f/2.8 zoom offer so much possibilities and lenses are typically better at f/4 than f/2.8 or f/2.8 than f/2...

But for landscape? We all know the resolution of a modern APSC camera is more than we need. Landscape don't move and thanks to SR I can't say low light is really an issue for landscapes... There dynamic range, true, the camera that has the most of it is D810, not K1 and that's because of its 50iso mode. a K5-IIs give you the 80iso mode, enough resolution for any printing size requirement you may have and a bunch of dedicated APSC primes that are optimized for landscape: DA15, DA21, DA40...
Ya, the list of APS-c primes for landscape, and even zooms isn't all that impressive, unless you look at what's available for the K-1. Then it's really impressive.

I looked at the numbers for the 15-30 today, well over 1 kg (or 2.2 pounds.) Pentax is starving me here. Nothing consumer below 28mm. The other day at Ragged Falls, Tess took my 8-16, I took my K-1 and 28-105, guess who got the shot of the day? I have summer coming up with many trips already planned. What hasn't been decided is what's going with me. If there's no K-1 ƒ4 WA lens by then at a reasonable price, itthe K-1 will be stating home. It's as simple as that. I can work with 24 MP instead of 36 MP, I can't work without my Sigma 8-16, 21 ltd. and 18-135 and DA 200 and TCs.

I know it doesn't hurt Pentax, that I leave my camera home, but it does beg the question, if I bought one, and have to leave it home, why would anyone else buy it? I can take the 8-16, 18-135, 200 and two TC and 50 macro an have a complete kit, that goes right to 476mm APS-c or the equivalent of 700mm on the K-1. SO, I'm better off for long lens work and wildlife, I get a much less capable walk around lens. And there's nothing the equivalent of my 8-16 (which would be 12-24 on the K-1.)

I wonder how many more years the K-1 will be staying home on trips. Someday, I'll find a Sigma 12-24 in K mount, hopefully. I bought the K-1 to be a landscape camera, but I don't need and won't pay for ƒ2.8 in either weight or price. Pentax has not a single wide angle in production for me.

But there I go whining again.

Last edited by normhead; 03-27-2017 at 07:02 PM.
03-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Norm - your first long post in this thread has really helped clear up some things I've been fuddling through as I've been contemplating what to replace my K-30 with. In particular the relationship between image sensor size and print output, especially once I consider the cost of changing from APS-C to 35mm. I see a KP or K3 replacement in my future.

03-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Yep, we often think of technical possibilities. 36MP better because there more details and FF because of more dynamic range. What can benefit of it, in theory? Landscape; So a K1 wonderfull landscape body. Okey. But does it make it visibly worse with a K5 and DA15? Well likely the FF lens would have more flare, less contrast (reduced practical dynamic range) and more resolution. But the resolution, I may never see it...

The size and weight of the 15-30, as well as the price, that's another story!

The DA15, has a telescopic hood that retract inside the lens, it is 4cm long and 215g. You can always take it in the bag, in case of...

DA15

DA15

DA15