Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera Time and DST

Not sure if this was already discussed. But, is there a way to set K-3/K-5 to automatically adjust time with DST? Thanks in advance

03-17-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

There is no such option.
03-17-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yeah, the camera has no way of knowing about DST since it's not online, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
Not sure if this was already discussed. But, is there a way to set K-3/K-5 to automatically adjust time with DST? Thanks in advance

Add it unfortunately to your list of clocks, microwaves, thermostats, vehicle clocks, etc. to change. Of every thing I have to change; I think my K3 is the simplest to do "wrench 1 push DST button". My Grand Father Clock the hardest so that the Hour Chime bongs the right number of bongs.

03-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yeah, the camera has no way of knowing about DST since it's not online, unfortunately.

Well, it's not online, but a camera ~could~ have built-in code to recognize, from the date it is set for, whether it's residing in Standard Time or Daylight Saving Time, and could adjust its time forward or backward an hour (etc.) seasonally. [It could also be designed to be updated by firmware updates to cope with changes in DST law, such as occurred in the USA sometime back during the Bush 44 years.] It would have to allow for "localization" of some sort (since different locales would require different DST treatments). In other words, the camera ~could~ ask the user, say, whether to bother to calculate DST changes or not when the date and time is initially specified, and then take it from there for the life of the camera, etc. -- I'm suggesting that it ~could~ be possible to design cameras to be "set-it-once-and-then-forget-it"-capable for ST/DST adjustments.

HOWEVER, the above scenario would seem, methinks, to be overkill, and a waste of limited onboard computing resources. It seems much more reasonable to merely ask the user to remember seasonally to update the time to ST or to DST, if it's applicable, and if the user even cares to do so.
03-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Well, it's not online, but a camera ~could~ have built-in code to recognize, from the date it is set for,
One would think, but the DST rules require somewhat finer geographic information than the camera supports. Time zone by itself is not enough. The K-3 allows you to choose Denver if you live in the U.S. Mountain Time Zone. That is fine unless you live in the State of Arizona. The region is nominally in Mountain Time, but never has DST except for the Navajo Nation lands which have their own time standard (Navajo Nation Time). The Navajo have DST except for the Hopi enclaves (surrounded entirely by Navajo lands) which, not being subject to Navajo law, follow Arizona's example.

Steve

(...Daylight Savings Time is evil...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-17-2017 at 11:33 PM.
03-18-2017, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
My Grand Father Clock the hardest so that the Hour Chime bongs the right number of bongs
You keep your Bong in the Grandfather Clock ? Man, that's paranoid !

03-18-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
You keep your Bong in the Grandfather Clock ? Man, that's paranoid !

Grampy (who was self medicating)said I could use it but put it back where I found it. Sometime that's hard to do even pushing the DST button on my K3 becomes a chore!