Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 04:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Omg. Do I have something for you.

I literally just had it rego'd last week! And yes, it's a proper early one with a sh1ty 1 barrel Solex and the 1289cc Big Block

I managed to fit some 6" wheels for it hahaha. They are Renault 18 centers that were widened. It's rubbing a bit on the rear, but folding the lips should get rid of it.

VIV LA FRANCE!

Oh and VIV LA PENATXSU

03-20-2017, 04:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Omg. Do I have something for you.
Wow. Classic little car. I miss it. Very reliable mechanically (the electrics were another matter...).

Mine had a very solid factory-fitted 1/4 inch steel skid-pan on the bottom. It was very handy when I took it off-roading. I used to get some real weird looks from LandCruiser drivers when they saw my R12 climbing past them on steep rocky mountain trails in Kosciusko National Park.
03-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Unlike you, I think Tromboads has done a great job, John.

Despite what you say, I would have no worries about getting the crunch pic with Pentax as I did here.

International sprinter Caleb Ewan is doing in excess of 50kmh towards the camera.
On the contrary. I think Tromboads has done a great job. I love his photos of Philip Island. It such an iconic setting (on my bucket list) and the photos are great.

My point is that there is a difference between a good shot for personal use and a great shot that I or an editor would want to put on the cover of a magazine. Your photo is very nice (I'm a cycling fan and have long admired Graham Watson's photography) but it also illustrates my point - where is the sharp photo of Caleb Ewan at the decisive moment, 20m or 30m prior to this photo when he was crossing the finish line, the Finish banner over his head, the other sprinter either throwing his bike towards the line in a final bid for victory or his head hung low and shoulders slumped in defeat?

That's the decisive moment that I would want to capture and be expected to capture if I was being paid for the gig and personally I would be disappointed in myself if I didn't.

I have managed some nice action shots with Pentax DSLRs myself.

Sandy aboard his trusty Yamaha FJR in VT
by John Flores, on Flickr

Glen Canyon National Recreational Area, UT

Pentax used for RoadRUNNER story.
by
John Flores
, on Flickr

Pentax K-5 shoots the cover of RoadRUNNER Magazine, Feb 2013 issue.

But I'd be lying to myself and to everyone else here if I didn't note that each of those shots took several passes to nail the focus, and for each of them there was some anxiousness about getting the shot that I had in my mind. Some of that, of course, is the nature of the task at hand, but I have shot with other, non-Pentax cameras where I was more confident that the gear was up to my needs.
03-20-2017, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Mee,
My thumb was well depressing the AF button as it tracked the car and I panned my camera till it was in the position of where I wanted to take it's picture. I'm not sure what more I could ask for really?

Everyone else,
It's so easy to just read the hype and x y z review and have a conclusion made for you. Back in reality, it does what it says on the tin. So no problem. Only it's so much fun to compare numbers. It's all just measuring bee dicks afterwards when it just, you know, works.
Your single shots are nice. But it goes no where to prove the tracking is functional. You could have taken those single shots with any camera by prefocusing along that spot of road and shooting a really wide aperture.

If you really want to show the AF Tracking works as it says it does 'on the tin' then please show the 9 shots before each of these single shots. THAT is proof it works.

A single still, at best, proves the AF locked on to that object at that spot for that split second. Not that it carried the object, in focus, for several seconds across a large space.

03-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

oh no
if I knew that it is true i would keep many more Pentax bodies, have only 9 of them left.....
03-20-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mee, Why would I want 9 shot in sequence of the same subject? I knew where I wanted the car to be, so I tracked it as It until it was in the position of where I wanted it, then I took it's picture.

Even if the camera just snapped it out the air in that single instant, well isn't that's even more remarkable given the speed of the AF lenses we have?

But I'll play because something interesting did happen I suppose. I had turned around to talk to a mate then a car spun around behind me, The tyres squelching had me turned around and I snapped these in sequence.

"shrugs"
03-20-2017, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

No amount of evidence will shake a deeply-held prejudice - old jungle saying.

03-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #23
mee
Veteran Member

Mee, Why would I want 9 shot in sequence of the same subject? I knew where I wanted the car to be, so I tracked it as It until it was in the position of where I wanted it, then I took it's picture.
Because that is the usage that gets the argument. Think of an athlete approaching a goal/scoring line. You would want multiple shots of that scene to get the exact one when they scored, most dramatic shot, shot with their eyes open, shot with their eyes closed... having a series of in focus shots gives the photographer more options on which one to publish.

Even if the camera just snapped it out the air in that single instant, well isn't that's even more remarkable given the speed of the AF lenses we have?
Yes single lock focusing is fine but, again, that isn't the bigger argument against focusing and Pentax. Of course DPR claimed the K-1 was both sluggish to lock focus initially AND poor to track.

But I'll play because something interesting did happen I suppose. I had turned around to talk to a mate then a car spun around behind me, The tyres squelching had me turned around and I snapped these in sequence.

"shrugs"
That's an exciting series. Probably more so for the drivers.

---------- Post added 03-20-17 at 04:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No amount of evidence will shake a deeply-held prejudice - old jungle saying.
Nonsense. There has been minimal evidence that proves or denies the AF tracking operates 'well.'

Take a look at this article.. Subject tracking: Why it matters to us and why it should matter to you: Digital Photography Review

Specifically the 12 shot burst of the kayaker in the water. That is the type of proof needed to put the old argument against Pentax to bed.
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
There has been minimal evidence that proves or denies the AF tracking operates 'well.'
We've been through this many times here. In the past, people have provided 12 shot examples of horses, planes, cars, dogs, soccer players, you name it. But as the saying goes, it's never enough, once someone's mind is set on a particular path.
03-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Specifically the 12 shot burst of the kayaker in the water. That is the type of proof needed to put the old argument against Pentax to bed.
And yet he admits it's a trick that high end and very expensive Nikons are good at and that other brands only have it in one form or another that doesn't match up to the Nikon.
Basically it comes down to to 'you get what you pay for' and in Pentax's case , unless you are a raving optimist, it's a quality camera with some top of the range attributes and an AF system that works but is not outstanding.
03-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #26

Because that is the usage that gets the argument. Think of an athlete approaching a goal/scoring line. You would want multiple shots of that scene to get the exact one when they scored, most dramatic shot, shot with their eyes open, shot with their eyes closed... having a series of in focus shots gives the photographer more options on which one to publish.
Assuming the shot you want doesn't happen between frames.
03-20-2017, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #27
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
We've been through this many times here. In the past, people have provided 12 shot examples of horses, planes, cars, dogs, soccer players, you name it. But as the saying goes, it's never enough, once someone's mind is set on a particular path.
I've yet to see a single one. And with the amount of time I waste here, if I'm not seeing them that probably means a lot of others aren't seeing them which is probably why it keeps coming back.

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
And yet he admits it's a trick that high end and very expensive Nikons are good at and that other brands only have it in one form or another that doesn't match up to the Nikon.
Basically it comes down to to 'you get what you pay for' and in Pentax's case , unless you are a raving optimist, it's a quality camera with some top of the range attributes and an AF system that works but is not outstanding.
Well I wouldn't focus so much on the article contents outside of the image burst. I'm pretty sure Canon upper end can do this too... as can probably a number of mirrorless.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Assuming the shot you want doesn't happen between frames.
Quite true. That's an entirely different issue though. Eventually I suspect these will become video cameras where we'll just pluck out the full sized frame we choose... if burst rate and buffer depth keep expanding.

Btw I'm just the messenger... don't shoot me.
03-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #28

Rampa do Caramulo 3 de Julho 2016 – infocu

My site, I don't update it in ages, pretty sure those pics were with a K50, not sure and not at home, it did fine with cars, my last gig on the same place I did with the K1, the pics were fine, but I focused more on the party and not so much on the races.
03-20-2017, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the humble ol' hobbyist, whom isn't trying to get stuff published, is out in the sun getting burnt and I can't for the life of me imagine how I would improve the Auto-focus on my K5 with those old DA lenses. It just works.

Completely understand the pressures of competitive journalism, and I have to concede, by sheer market weight and support of those other brands that the market has decided "they're better" But how much? Enough for me to worry about?

I'm not worried.

Pentax AF-C works fine.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 03-20-2017 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Minor profanity removed.
03-20-2017, 04:42 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"shrugs"
It tightens my gut to see a classic GT40 do that at speed.

Which testifies to the images.*

* I'm in the 'It's better than they say' camp. Especially the three most recent bodies. All my lenses on K-1 are faster and more accurate on K-1; tracking just doesn't fail me the way others say it should.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-20-2017 at 05:02 PM.