Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the price range you listed, I'd have to be looking at the K3II or KP. Is video of any importance to you? Then KP would deserve a look. Also perhaps faster autofocus, but not as fast on FPS or as big a buffer in continuous shooting as the K3II, so if you can figure a bit about what you expect, you might find yourself leaning one way or the other on KP versus K3II.

03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you do a lot of low light work, the new KP has been shown well ahead of the K-3 for lower noise and better preservation of detail at higher ISO settings. Quite outstanding, actually. It is also lighter in weight, yet well constructed of mainly magnesium alloy. It is of slimmer design, and thus may not please some who prefer a beefier body design, but there will be an optional battery grip available for added heft and more. Of the other metal body models, the K-5, K-5 II and IIs also come in ahead of the more recent K-3 for higher ISO performance, though not as good in that regard as the KP and the polycarbonate K-70. The KP has just hit the shelves about three weeks now, and it is expected that its price will probably settle down by $200-300 less after some months go by.

You have not indicated which equipment you have been using.
03-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by STEEWPHOTOGRAPHY Quote
looking forward this year to buy a new camera
Your website says you have a K-S1 and a few zoom lenses. Your sample photos include animals, landscapes, and night photos. What about your current equipment do you feel is most limiting?

Instead of just upgrading the camera, maybe consider a less expensive camera plus a lens.

I think your choice of camera comes down to a K-3ii (or used K-3) vs K-70. The K-70 is superior at high ISO, the K-3 is better for focusing on moving targets like animals. See the bottom of Pentax K-70 Review - Versus Other Bodies | PentaxForums.com Reviews for a comparison.

Let's say you pick the K-70. That's $599 at B&H. Either get it and be done, or use more of your budget to consider a lens such as: DA35 macro for plants, DFA100 macro for plant details, DA 16-85 for a better zoom than your 18-55 (sharper, plus it goes wider which is good for architecture), Samyang 14/2.8 for Milky Way photos.

The new KP is also a very good camera but wouldn't leave money for a lens upgrade.
03-20-2017, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
please post your photos here at the forums so we can all enjoy them

take a look at all the threads you can join and start one or two yourself

may I suggest this one might be of some interest since I see on your web site that you have taken pictures of plants and insects:

Pollinators in action - PentaxForums.com

03-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hey guys I'm looking forward this year to buy a new camera.

But I have no idea which one. I wanna stick to Pentax and on my Web searches, I found two that I like a lot. Thes are the Pentax K3ii and the Pentax k5ii.

Do you know better Pentax cameras in a price range from 500 - 1300.
Between the K3II and K5II there is no question go with the K3II. It is a lot better camera higher mega pixel count for cropping. Pixel shift, non AA filter the list goes on and on. K3II prices are very good now 900 USD with a battery grip is a steal.

For something a little different might I suggest a KP? Might be a better camera if dual SD cards slots or built in GPS etc. aren't needed but a smaller size is beneficial. Also if you do lots of low light shooting the KP is the camera to get.

For a lot of us around these parts it would be helpful to know what you plan to shoot and we can make a better recommendation. A K70 might also be a good fit again depending upon your usage of the camera and needs.
03-21-2017, 05:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was using a K5 with the GPS module. It works great and doesn't draw from the camera's battery. I wanted to upgrade to a camera without AA filter, so K5II or K3. The K3II was released with included GPS which would allow me to easily use a flash. The GPS on a K5 means you can't use the pop-up flash, or easily use a flash. Yes, probably a pass-through extender could be used, but would require a post.

Now I can use in the field a camera with GPS and mounted ring flash. I use this function a lot, so it's very worthwhile to me to give up the pop-up flash. I did buy the little 201 flash, which is nice enough but has a frustratingly slow recharge rate.
03-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
when you are pinching pennies and who doesn't be sure to be realistic :

how often do you really need exact GPS location recorded. are there other options (cell phones apps (?) stand alone gps units etc) if all you need is a spot recorded or using a map???

how often will you be shooting in weather/dust requiring WR lenses??? Are there other ways to protect (yes, there are and they are cheaper)

is it better to get an adequate older model of camera body and mate it with the latest and best lenses you can afford

is it better to ask questions and learn from the experiences of others or learn by myself???

will the ability of the Pentax camera bodies to utilize older lenses help by allowing the purchase of adequate older lenses at a cheaper price

am I preaching to the choir by posting this or being somewhat helpful to others?????
I like to take astro photos so the astrotracer feature would be nice so a GPS is important more or less.

03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like to take astro photos so the astrotracer feature would be nice so a GPS is important more or less.
never meant to imply that the ability to use GPS was foolish

it is not. depending on what your need is and your ability to pay for it
03-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Your website says you have a K-S1 and a few zoom lenses. Your sample photos include animals, landscapes, and night photos. What about your current equipment do you feel is most limiting?

Instead of just upgrading the camera, maybe consider a less expensive camera plus a lens.

I think your choice of camera comes down to a K-3ii (or used K-3) vs K-70. The K-70 is superior at high ISO, the K-3 is better for focusing on moving targets like animals. See the bottom of Pentax K-70 Review - Versus Other Bodies | PentaxForums.com Reviews for a comparison.

Let's say you pick the K-70. That's $599 at B&H. Either get it and be done, or use more of your budget to consider a lens such as: DA35 macro for plants, DFA100 macro for plant details, DA 16-85 for a better zoom than your 18-55 (sharper, plus it goes wider which is good for architecture), Samyang 14/2.8 for Milky Way photos.

The new KP is also a very good camera but wouldn't leave money for a lens upgrade.
Thank you for looking by on my website. I didn't upgraded the equipment section. I have 2 Tamron lenses now the 70-300 telemacro and the 18-200mm. Jeah you are right but I see it like upgrading for the future. The piece of glass is more important and I will also buy new lenses but first I want to upgrade the body.

What limits me the most ?
I miss some features on my K-S1 like the astro tracer I know I could buy a gps module but when I buy a new camera this could have gps too and makes it more compact. A flash isn't needed so often.
The I have some issues that I see a fast ISO noise starting slowly at 800 ISO.
I would love to have a battery grip.
The K-S1 don't have many AF points. Sometimes it's hard to take pictures of moving objects.

All in all I like my camera but I want to upgrade something newer and something that will go some years with me..

Mine was used and won't last that long.

!!! I dont need a camera for tacking videos.
03-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

[quote=STEEWPHOTOGRAPHY;3951812]Thank you for looking by on my website. I didn't upgraded the equipment section. I have 2 Tamron lenses now the 70-300 telemacro and the 18-200mm. J

I used a K 5 II + Tamron 4-5.6 70 -300 macro zoom ld [1:2] af on our trip to Tanzania celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary last summer

I really liked it.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 12:14 PM.
03-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I used a K 5 II + Tamron 4-5.6 70 -300 macro zoom ld [1:2] af on our trip celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary last summer

I really liked it.
Jeah Pentax and Tamron is working very well.
03-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Okay, based on the ISO statement I'd say KP and stretch your budget a little to get the OGPS1 unit for it. Then add in lenses.
03-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Okay, based on the ISO statement I'd say KP and stretch your budget a little to get the OGPS1 unit for it. Then add in lenses.
Okay and is there a battery grip for the KP ?
03-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Do you need a camera right now? Pentax is supposed to be releasing an updated APS-C flagship in a few months.

As far as IQ goes, the KP & K-70 are the cream of the crop at the moment. The K-3II & the older discontinued K-3 are flagship models that have the pro build, performance, & features. The IQ is the same for both. The K-3 lacks GPS & the K-3II lacks on board flash & wireless flash controls. The K-3II "supposedly" has better AF tracking algorithms & better IBIS, but according to most people that have used both, there doesn't really seem to be much of a difference between the K-3II & K-3 AF tracking & IBIS. The older K-5II/5IIs flagships command a higher price if buying them new on the internet. Unless you can get a used one for about $350 USA, a K-3/3II is a much better buy. People love the 16MP sensor on the older K-5II/5IIs, but the overall IQ still goes to the K-70 & KP.

The upcoming APS-C flagship will probably roll all the K-70 & KP updates into it along with new flagship only updates that the KP will not have. Hopefully we know more around August or so.
03-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay and is there a battery grip for the KP ?
there appears to be one on the way

but unlike the ones for the K 5II and K 3, one source says it doesn't have the AA battery option

but this one says it does have the AA option

https://www.adorama.com/ipxbg7.html

????