Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2017, 11:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got money spending

For once I have some money from gigs that I have had so I could buy some gear.
The problem is that I cant seem to fine what to spend it on.

I have a K-3 and K-30. I shoot weddings. I was thinking of replacing the K-30 to improve the picture quality. Maybe the K-3 replacement?
But then again there are people still shooting beautiful weddings with their K-10. So that point is moot.

Then again I have been thinking about getting one of those 85mm 1.4 lenses.
But the focal length is too long. 77mm Limited? But my Tamron 70-200 f2.8 gives amazing pictures. (No pun intended)

I need another HSS capable flash. But I want to get one when the issue with wireless trigger is a little more straightforward and not needing to jump through hoops.

Besides all this, I am not really sure what to do with my photography, as I am not looking to be a professional. So investing in it at this point seem like "waste"? For lack of better words.

So for now I am stuck. What is the reverse of purchase guilt.

03-21-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How are you set with your computer and software?, I just upgraded there and it gives me much more than another lens or body ever would. Otherwise sit on the money and enjoy the options😀
03-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use open source software on linux, so I don't need to upgrade. I do need to streamline my workflow though and be better at processing faster.
But that is something thing that I have been working on for a while now.

Thanks. Culture.
03-21-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photos on your site!

I love the FA 77mm on my K-5, or when I rent a K-1, but if you are happy with the lenses and bodies, why not save that money until you need to spend it?

You say you don't know if you want to take your photography to another level, but you can be a professional and not rely on photography for 100% of your income.

03-21-2017, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't have a macro lens, you might consider a used Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro. It would be great for ring shots, along with portraits. Check the reviews:

Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
03-21-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A Pentax 16-85 might supplement your 70-200. Along with a flash it would be effective.
03-21-2017, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
smf
Pentaxian

I don't suggest that you should rule out buying equipment. But I recently read or heard that photographers should instead consider investing in training or travel. I would include books among possible investments in training.

I enjoyed seeing the excellent images at your website.

Best wishes.

Last edited by smf; 03-21-2017 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add comment
03-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had not seen your site before jumping in, and agree with the others they are great images. As you are managing well enough with what you have, I would endorse your first thought and wait for the K-3 replacement as that's probably going to have some wow factor.
03-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I was in your shoes, I would:

First and most, I would not spend the money but invest it … one day it will be very useful to have it , and who knows, it will be even to buy the right needed photo equipment...

Second and really not so much an option for me, and also because having the two full frame goodies (Tamron 24-75mm F2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm F2.8), I would sell some of the lenses, probably the K30, and buy the K1.

Best regards,
03-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
buy the K1.
Cant go wrong with this advice!
03-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There's never a good time to buy an FA 31 or FA 77
There's always a good time to buy an FA 31 or FA 77
03-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Great photos on your site!

I love the FA 77mm on my K-5, or when I rent a K-1, but if you are happy with the lenses and bodies, why not save that money until you need to spend it?

You say you don't know if you want to take your photography to another level, but you can be a professional and not rely on photography for 100% of your income.
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I don't suggest that you should rule out buying equipment. But I recently read or heard that photographers should instead consider investing in training or travel. I would include books among possible investments in training.

I enjoyed seeing the excellent images at your website.

Best wishes.
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I had not seen your site before jumping in, and agree with the others they are great images. As you are managing well enough with what you have, I would endorse your first thought and wait for the K-3 replacement as that's probably going to have some wow factor.

WOW. Look at all the love.

Thanks guys for taking the time. Very much appreciated.

---------- Post added 22-03-17 at 09:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote

Best wishes.
Travelling could certainly be helpful. But I am the stage in my life where I have a 6.5 year and a 4 year old. Travelling is more like taking small group of soldier to invade a country. I always have to keep an eye on them.

I do agree with your advice about training. I have attend one course. I didnt get much from it. What I would like is to understudy an established wedding photographer. But my city is not that big so its a little limited.

So far my school has been Youtube and this site. I have read a few books too.

Thanks. Culture.

---------- Post added 22-03-17 at 09:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
If I was in your shoes, I would:

First and most, I would not spend the money but invest it … one day it will be very useful to have it , and who knows, it will be even to buy the right needed photo equipment...

Second and really not so much an option for me, and also because having the two full frame goodies (Tamron 24-75mm F2.8 and Tamron 70-200mm F2.8), I would sell some of the lenses, probably the K30, and buy the K1.

Best regards,
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Cant go wrong with this advice!
I have been thinking if I should sell some of my lenses for this same purpose you mentioned. But they are all seem to be invaluable. I have an 18-135 lens which I hardly use. But its the only weather sealed lens I have. It came handy when I shot a wedding where it was raining

I guess I am waiting to make a decision about the K1. Just waiting to see what a K-3 replacement will look like.

Thanks for the advice. Culture.
03-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
18-135 lens which I hardly use. But its the only weather sealed lens I have. It came handy when I shot a wedding where it was raining
WR is essential, will always need it sometime!....mind you that lens isn't good on a K1 in FF mode, slight vignetting in 1:1 as well.....The K3(ii) replacement may be soon, or it could be quite a while OR never....some say the K1 was its replacement? ? ?
03-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
If you don't have a macro lens, you might consider a used Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro. It would be great for ring shots, along with portraits. Check the reviews:

Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
At the moment I am doing the macro shots with a my F-50 with with a Raynox 150 attached to it. It does a good job.