Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Insuring gear - what do you use?

As title says, just wanted to see how people insure their gear and how much it costs. Haven't done it yet, thinking of maybe at least insuring my K-1.

03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have mine covered by the "discount double check" insurance company as a personal article rider to my home owner's policy.

I also have listed all of the gear with lenstag

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

I have other personal items listed on the rider so I am not sure of the increased premium based on the cameras and lens alone

I highly recommend getting insurance and listing with lenstag

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 11:17 AM.
03-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #3

Can you get a camera insured if you are the second owner?
03-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
Can you get a camera insured if you are the second owner?
I had no problem except for proving value,

my problem was that I got what I thought was a good deal when I bought the used items - paid low and wanted to cover higher because of replacement costs.

sat down and explained situation to agent's staff.

gave purchase price along with replacement costs of matching equipment off the internet - not ebay auctions - and got coverage for higher than I paid.

had to be reviewed by "higher authority than my agent" but it went through ok.

this was for used K 5 II and other used lenses as well as camera and lenses bought new but under market price

it may have helped that I have had insurance, auto and home, with the same company for 30 + years and with the same agent since 2001.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 11:21 AM.
03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a personal article policy for all my equipment. For $10,000 of equipment coverage it cost me $107 a year.
03-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a rider covering my camera equipment, at replacement cost. I simply send copies of proof of purchase/cost to my agent when I get additional equipment.
03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I have a rider covering my camera equipment, at replacement cost. I simply send copies of proof of purchase/cost to my agent when I get additional equipment.
what do you get if replacement cost is above what you paid??

either because you bought used or got a great deal???

what is your replacement cost based on - true replacement cost or just what you paid??

03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I had no problem except for proving value,

my problem was that I got what I thought was a good deal when I bought the used items - paid low and wanted to cover higher because of replacement costs.

sat down and explained situation to agent's staff.

gave purchase price along with replacement costs of matching equipment off the internet and got coverage for higher than I paid.

had to be reviewed by "higher authority than my agent" but it went through ok.

this was for used K 5 II and other used lenses as well as camera and lenses bought new but under market price

it may have helped that I have had insurance, auto and home, with the same company for 30 + years and with the same agent since 2001.
What company was it through?
03-21-2017, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
What company was it through?
"I have mine covered by the "discount double check" insurance company"

State Farm currently has the "discount double check" advertising slogan

so it is State Farm
03-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting, thanks for info! I wonder if I can find a plan that will cover my gear for like 50-60$ per year? I don't have 10k worth of stuff yet (my gear is listed in my sig). All my modern gear is new, only vintage lenses were purchased used.
03-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Interesting, thanks for info! I wonder if I can find a plan that will cover my gear for like 50-60$ per year? I don't have 10k worth of stuff yet (my gear is listed in my sig). All my modern gear is new, only vintage lenses were purchased used.
State Farm Insurance is a nation wide company head quarters in Bloomington IL

my dad was employed there for as long as I remember at the life insurance company he switched to the computer side in the early 60s. we believed he did so b/c the computers were in the only air conditioned building the corporation had

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2017 at 04:19 PM.
03-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A personal article rider on the homeowners policy as stated earlier. My wife (and Chief Household Officer) is an insurance broker so I was educated:-) I've insured my camera, lenses, battery grip, flashes, radio triggers. I haven't bothered to add cheaper items that can be replaces easily such as light stands, umbrellas, batteries, etc. The amount of documentation required varies by country and location. In some parts of Canada no receipts are required if no single item is over $2,000 CAD. I have documented all of my items by description, model, serial number, store purchased from, date, transaction number. I also have this document and all receipts scanned and the PDF's are stored on two devices and in cloud storage as well.
03-21-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

(Not a plug, I swear! Haha) you can try mygearvault.com from Jared Polin (not sure of how many people know bout him)
03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
(Not a plug, I swear! Haha) you can try mygearvault.com from Jared Polin (not sure of how many people know bout him)
Watched his channel a bit but didn't like his content much. Gearvault is an insurance plan?
03-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #15
Pentaxian

From what he says in his videos about it, it connects you to different insurance company's that will help choose the best specific insurance plan for you.

---------- Post added 03-21-17 at 10:16 PM ----------

In this video, he goes more into explaining on how to get a quote & proposed from one (or more) of the insurance company's: