Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help a newb out: K-5, K-5ii/K-5iiS, or K-S2?

I'm not very well versed in digital cameras. I have been an avid amateur film photographer, having started young with a Canon Rebel SLR, but in the last few years other things have taken precedence over my hobbies, and honestly my photography knowledge needs to be sharpened up. When my son was born almost 7 years ago, I invested in a Nikon D3000, which I used for basic family photo type things, as well as more creative endeavors. It was great for a while, but it's getting old and the quality of the photos just isn't what I want it to be anymore. I've always lusted after Pentax's, especially after talking my boyfriend in to getting a K01 when he was shopping for a mirrorless. It is absolutely fantastic, especially at color capture, which I understand is a Pentax hallmark.

My budget, however, is tight. Up to $600, max, and I'm debating between a used K5 vs used K5ii/s vs new KS2. I'm heading to Sicily in early June, and I really want a solid, quality camera that is going to allow me to both take shots on the fly, and compose some really stunning artsy shots.

What is going to be the best option when balancing budget and performance? I can find used K5 for under $400, & K5ii/S for under $500, not always with a lens, but with less than 15k shots, a few with less than 5k. (As far as the K5iiS, I'm willing to learn how to work around potential moire). Or, I can get a brand new K-S2 with a kit lens for $529.

Is it better to get the least expensive one, and spend the extra money in my budget on some good glass? Or, is it better to spend more on a set-up with a kit lens and relearn how to properly use a digital? I'm incapable of deciding, help!

03-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey Amanda, welcome to Pentax Forums.

Oh, and K5IIs.

Best camera ever.

Well, until the K-1 came along.
03-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Hey Amanda, welcome to Pentax Forums.

Oh, and K5IIs.

Best camera ever.

Well, until the K-1 came along.
Ugh, don't even mention that glorious machine's name, because there is no way on God's green earth I can afford it anytime soon....
03-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Amanda. I'd go K-5ii.

03-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Second job?

Sell photos at the local arts and crafts fair?

Second mortgage?

Sell a kidney?
03-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

you may want to check out these threads in your search for a Pentax DSLR

Pentax Lens Reviews | Third-Party Lens Reviews | Accessory Reviews | Pentax Camera Reviews

Read more at: Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Pentax Cameras | PentaxForums.com Reviews

go to the top and click on the "cameras" category

and when you decide what you want, perhaps this might be of interest

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com

We hope to see your photos soon

please, ask us any question you think we can help you with.
03-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A K-5IIs will give you excellent images. I have it and a K-3II. The K-5IIs will not disappoint you. The image quality is outstanding, it is weather resistant, the body is well built/sturdy, it has astrophotography capability if you use an O-GPS1 accessory with it, and it is well styled.

03-21-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amandarenee Quote
When my son was born almost 7 years ago, I invested in a Nikon D3000, which I used for basic family photo type things, as well as more creative endeavors. It was great for a while, but it's getting old and the quality of the photos just isn't what I want it to be anymore.
What's wrong with the quality of the photos coming out of it? What lenses do you have for it? Does it still function properly? Not that I'd try to steer you away from a Pentax, but if what you have is perfectly operational, I'd want to make sure I'm spending money where it counts. At the very least, articulating the things you do or don't like about your d3000 might help others spend your money for you.

The k5 series is tough and terrific, but lacking some of the whiz-bang features of newer models. For what it's worth I have not been tempted by the newer Pentax models and I plan to run my k5iis into the ground (I'm not sure it feels the same about me, and suspect it would trade me in for a newer and more capable photographer if it could just figure out how to use the Marketplace).
03-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The KS2 does not have an lcd screen on top, while the K-5IIs does. In order to be able to watch your settings closely that screen is really valuable.
03-21-2017, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I saw this K-3 in the marketplace. Might fit your budget.

Pentax k-3, k2000, k100D, DA*300, DA35 f2.4, DA 18-250 and more - PentaxForums.com

Always fun to spend other people's money.
03-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which K Camera

I've owned the Spotmatic (years ago), ME, K-10D, K-7, K-5 and K-1. Each camera is 'better' (image quality is my main concern) it seems to me. Without doubt, the K-1 (for those who are not into action photography if you believe the blogs) is a gem and outshines the Pentax line cameras in clarity, definition, color brilliance, authenticity, and contrast. It tops the line of 'K' cameras, IMHO. For macro and landscape photography, the K-1 is great, I wouldn't use another. I can't believe the photos I'm getting. In this regard, the K-1 eclipses the K-5 I have. However, the K-5 (and I suspect the K-5 siblings) are remarkable cameras (as attested to above). While I can't speak to the K-5ii or K-5iis, the K-5 will give you great photos on your trip--at a good price. At this point, I would never sell mine--I use it as a second camera to the K-1 that can give great photos. Check out the Pentax camera reviews for each camera before you buy to sort which is best for you. Buy good glass for your trip: you won't regret it. Good hunting!
03-21-2017, 07:42 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
What's wrong with the quality of the photos coming out of it? What lenses do you have for it? Does it still function properly? Not that I'd try to steer you away from a Pentax, but if what you have is perfectly operational, I'd want to make sure I'm spending money where it counts. At the very least, articulating the things you do or don't like about your d3000 might help others spend your money for you.

The k5 series is tough and terrific, but lacking some of the whiz-bang features of newer models. For what it's worth I have not been tempted by the newer Pentax models and I plan to run my k5iis into the ground (I'm not sure it feels the same about me, and suspect it would trade me in for a newer and more capable photographer if it could just figure out how to use the Marketplace).
The color capture (is there a proper term for this??) isn't true-to-life. I have to do more editing than I would like to do get the color correct, and in very bright or very dark situations, getting the exposure correct is finicky and isn't always fixable in editing. For nighttime shots (cityscape types things, usually) it's almost impossible to get a decent, clear shot, even with a tripod. I am using the kit 18-55mm lens 90% of the time, and the other 10% a 55-200mm I bought at the same time.

I'm not too particular about whiz-bang, to be honest, having been such a dedicated film photographer for so long. I care about photo quality and camera sturdiness/longevity, I have no interest in being able to use WiFi to send my pics from my camera to my phone instantaneously so I can post them all over my social media.
03-21-2017, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're looking for a camera that is built to last, the K-5 II or IIs, or K-3, are the way to go. Even a used K-3 should fit within your budget, and its shutter is rated for 100k more shots. I'd choose the K-5 II family over the K-5 for the low light AF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I saw this K-3 in the marketplace. Might fit your budget.

Pentax k-3, k2000, k100D, DA*300, DA35 f2.4, DA 18-250 and more - PentaxForums.com

Always fun to spend other people's money.
Oy, another contender...ha!

I am really terrible about making up my mind in these areas. I'm terrified of regretting my decision, especially when considering buying used, because, obviously, they are not returnable!
03-21-2017, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

The K-5IIs seems like a good choice for the needs you expressed and your goals.