Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 03:52 AM   #1

Electronics ban on flights to Middle East countries

I travel to the Middle East semi-regularly for work and holidays and I'm a bit worried about the electronics ban, and the suggestion that I will have to put my photographic equipment in checked luggage (I've seen how the baggage handlers at Cairo airport operate). Does anyone

Have any specific knowledge of the electronics ban and how it is being implemented, for example could I keep my lenses in my hand luggage if I say that they are mechanical and not electronic?

Have any tips for how to safely stow camera and lenses in checked luggage on aeroplanes if it's necessary?

03-22-2017, 04:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

cameras are mentioned in the ban but not lens. If it effects you read this article as they explain pretty well both US and U.K. Bound flights as they are slightly different

Electronics ban: How will new US and UK rules affect me? - BBC News
03-22-2017, 04:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest Pelican case or similar. And speak with your travel agent. This is obviously a new development and what will be allowed / not allowed is likely to be subject to change (and confusion for those staff tasked to implement it).
03-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #4

My understanding is that the ban is FROM these countries; Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia and Saudi Arabia. Additionally, "devices measuring more than 16cm in length, 9.3cm in width, or 1.5cm depth will be banned from the cabin and need to be placed into hold luggage and checked-in before going through security." The UK is now implementing it as well. Going TO these countries remains a mystery...If the idea is to dissuade nasty people from putting explosive material in computers and iPads, you'd think a shoe or a camera lens would work for that as well. More detail is needed from the government. In the meantime, airlines will customize things according to their own viewpoint, as long as the computers are forbidden. Finally, the thought of checking camera equipment as bagage is not a pleasant one.

03-22-2017, 05:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sas8888 Quote
cameras are mentioned in the ban but not lens. If it effects you read this article as they explain pretty well both US and U.K. Bound flights as they are slightly different

Electronics ban: How will new US and UK rules affect me? - BBC News
"The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:"

I can't imagine the airport staff are going to be particularly sympathetic to my explanation that lenses 'aren't electronic', since they do look it... anyhow, I think it's a case of being prepared. I"m flying to Egypt from an EU country that doesn't currently have any kind of extra restrictions in place, but if it is genuinely an intelligence issue, and they all share information, it could possibly be implemented.
03-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidparis Quote
If the idea is to dissuade nasty people from putting explosive material in computers and iPads, you'd think a shoe or a camera lens would work for that as well.
The idea is to protect penny-pinching western commercial airlines
from competition by subsidized luxury middle-eastern carriers.

There is more discussion in this earlier thread:

Cameras and laptops banned in cabins of US-bound flights from certain ME airports - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 03-22-17 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
I can't imagine the airport staff are going to be particularly sympathetic to my explanation that lenses 'aren't electronic', since they do look it.
And unless they are ancient film lenses, they really are electronic.
That's why they have those connections on the mount.
03-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The idea is to protect penny-pinching western commercial airlines
from competition by subsidized luxury middle-eastern carriers.

The US version of the ban, perhaps. But the UK version of the ban (more rationally) affects all airlines, including UK ones. If this ban is implemented by other EU nations I'd expect this to be how they would go about it.

UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six Middle East countries | World news | The Guardian

03-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you are located in Berlin (and flying from here) you dont have to worry. At the moment, Germany does not implement these rules and flights from Germany are not yet "banned". The real worry here is the unfinished airport.
03-22-2017, 06:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There no US airlines flying directly to the airport were the ban is in effect.
03-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
If you are located in Berlin (and flying from here) you dont have to worry. At the moment, Germany does not implement these rules and flights from Germany are not yet "banned". The real worry here is the unfinished airport.

If it is genuinely a security issue, and given that Western intelligence agencies all share information, it wouldn't be surprising if Germany or any other country does implement such restrictions
03-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can always fly into or out of these countries via Germany or some other country not on the list.
03-22-2017, 02:23 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once again I'm glad I use film cameras...

Chris
03-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Once again I'm glad I use film cameras...

Chris
I would suppose they (the authorities) wont make that difference...
03-23-2017, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All these bans on traveling with electronics: I'd imagine in to not too distant future people will just arrive at airports naked, and be anesthetized before boarding the plane. The practical upshot of this is you won't have any complaints over sharing a seat next to someone of rubenesque stature, jet lag and air sickness will be a thing of the past, hardened alcoholics won't terrorize passengers and while passengers are knocked out you can pack them in tightly without pesky concerns over leg room.

A second unmanned aircraft will be control linked to the passenger plane and used to carry the passengers luggage.

/satire.
03-23-2017, 01:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
I would suppose they (the authorities) wont make that difference...
The TSA wouldn't know the difference.