Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #31
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I visited the biggest camera show in the UK last weekend and the Pentax stand was rather substandard, I felt. The centre piece was a train set that was one of the rep's father's. It felt rather old fashioned and parochial. To me it didn't work too well. It will have summed up, I fear too many, what a lowly state Pentax is in, without properly highlighting the excellent equipment it can produce, albeit will irritating holes in it's range. Why did they do it like that ...? It would not have been down to cost as it was a big (ish) stand, but rather a little more sophistication rather than village hall would have probably been better.
Interesting. Not wanting to de-rail the thread, but:

I visited that same show on the Monday, and spent quite a bit of time on the Pentax stand. Whilst I agree with you about the model train set, otherwise I thought they did a good job. It was a decent sized setup in a premium area of the hall, with multiple copies of the various bodies and lenses to try. Did it match Nikon and Canon? No. It felt more like a niche-player's stand... but that's what Pentax is - a niche player. And judging by the number of people swarming around the equipment, they were generating plenty of interest. All that was missing, in my view, was a premium UK Pentax dealer such as SRS (I reckon they'd have shifted some stock if they'd been on-hand with a few tasty show deals)...

03-24-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Selling your gear doesn't make sense to me. It would be like selling your house at loss because you fear it could burn down next week... Unless you have solid evidence that Pentax is leaving the camera market, it's just a possible but improbable event , like your house burning down... It doesn't make much sense to lose a lot of money right now because some improbable event could happen sometime in the future. But if you choose so, you're probably also better to sell your house, your car, or even get divorced, since there's always a possibility things could turn bad with any of them in the future...

If you're happy with the gear, just keep it and use it.

Last edited by CarlJF; 03-24-2017 at 12:53 PM.
03-24-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To sum it up, I'm fully equipped with a Pentax K1, DFA zooms and DFA 100 macro. And, I'm not short of being satisfied with this camera system, including autofocus, I find the autofocus to be more than adequate for static shots and good enough for sports and wildlife tracking with some optimization of settings and shooting strategy. Image quality is amazing. I can't blame the camera, I only can blame myself for not find the right subjects.

Now, I am under the impression that there is less activity on PF compared to what it used to be back 5 to 10 years ago. I also see a lot of threads that now consist of criticism about Pentax cameras (most of the time using old lenses and cameras, but generalizing to all including newest Pentax products), always focus on what is not good. And I see Ricoh remaining passive, just release one more camera and never take frontal action to address lack of communication and not improvement in software, whatever could be done (if that could stop criticism, I'm not sure). It's sort of scary for the future of the K mount, with Sigma and Tamron not renewing lens lines for the K mount, adding to the pressure.

So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.
I guess I am missing why you would want to switch systems if you are happy with the IQ and the autofocus of your K-1?

Anyway, as someone that has had numerous forays into other systems (I have had Pentax, Sony, Fuji, Canon and Nikon DSLRs/MILCs over the past 5 years), I always return to Pentax. The only reason I would move to another system (Nikon or Canon) is if I was a paid sports photographer or photojournalist, or if I required a specialized lens (such as tilt/shift). And even then I would probably own a Pentax APS-C DSLR for my fun stuff.

Also, as someone that buys and sells way too much stuff, I think you would be very disappointed at your rate of return on your Pentax stuff. I am lucky if I get 80 cents on the dollar for what I have paid.
03-24-2017, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Sell sell sell, it's the only way to be safe. Don't buy a Canon or Nikon though, they're both doomed.

Personally I'm making the transition back to the traditional crayon & paper method of image capture. This worked well for me 35 years ago, and I think will work just as well today. Autofocus is as fast as my eyes (way better than any Canikon). Frame rate and resolution are still pretty low at this point, but with 16-bit colour (where 'bit'= that bit on the end of one crayon). Battery life is also not a concern, but I'm currently testing out my cold weather options (crayons can get brittle). As an added plus, this system allows you to 'photograph' celebrities who aren't even there, or who are even completely imaginary, and instantly be transferred onto custom objects, like wrapping paper.

An example is below, it's unfortunate that computers have not caught up with crayon & paper and it had to be converted into a digital image to share on the web (I used an iphone for this). The original had stunning clarity, until it was ripped apart by a 5 year old girl that is.
And not even talking about the fact that you're using a 8.5" x 11" sensor! FF are so small...

03-24-2017, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
OP: you silly.
03-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you're not limited in what you want to do with the camera/lens collection you have, I see no reason to change. I understand the concerns but not the need to change unless you're really lacking something you need, or "need", as the case may be.
03-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #37
Pentaxian

PENTAX IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Or not, probably not

03-24-2017, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To be honest, I don't see how the management at Ricoh/Pentax Americas can justify drawing paychecks. In all fairness, I get the part about strange actions by Ricoh Global, but even in the dark times of "Lord Hoya", post-sale support was pretty good. The same was true of the Pentax USA Web site, a resource I quit using about two years ago.

Steve
I believe Ricoh Americas is now a virtual entity. There isn't really a physical presence - it doesn't exist anymore in the former sense that one could go visit the headquarters in Denver. Just a few people in cubbies in the Ricoh B2B offices nearest to their homes who FaceTime their meetings and email each other. US market share won't support a physical presence at break-even operations.

Nice work there, Jim.

@biz-engineer I appreciate the work you have done with K-1 and long lens AF.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2017 at 01:11 PM.
03-24-2017, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

I bought a new K-1 and 28-105 just about a month ago. I wrestled with the same issue you are wrestling with now. I seriously considered getting a Canon 5D3 and 24-105 lens. I already have a Canon 430 EX ll flashgun for my Canon G12.

It is a tough question and a question I've put lots of thought into since 2007, when I bought my new then, K10D. After 10 years of research, wondering, thinking, doing the old pro and con deal, I still haven't been able to work out in my mind what the best decision would of been and continues to be.

Where I am now, is thinking that all camera companies that make sophisticated equipment for advanced amateurs and pros are not enjoying a golden era. According to what I've read, listened to...cellphone cameras are improving at great speed and who knows how good they will be in 5-10 years. Maybe as good as a full frame DSLR ...I just don't know, but I do know technology has made huge strides in cell phone camera photographic quality . First it was point and shooters...then advanced compacts...such as my G12. Question that runs through my fevered brain is that will DSLR's be very far down this road.

Will Ricoh one day say enough, that's it, production will stop. Maybe. Happened to Minolta, Petri, Miranda, etc...all sorts of camera brands that have up and died and now litter the landscape.

I have heard that Nikon is not doing so hot. I wonder about Fuji, Panasonic...even Sony. If there's not enough bucks being made, a company will fold.

I think the only camera company that will be here...for sure....in 25 years is Canon and I'm not 100 % on even that one, either.

Ricoh seems to have adopted a marketing strategy of using online marketing to peddle their Pentax. I know I go into my local camera store and don't see Pentax anymore on the shelves. I do see Canon and Nikon and a few others...but I also don't see very many customers at these stores either. I have stopped using one of my old camera company health scores based on how much product is in the stores. Stores seem to be closing right and left, the last few years. Online seems to be the thing. Younger people like my kids and their friends (they're in their 20's/30's), don't go to stores all that much...they order online.

So maybe Ricoh aren't idiots after all. I do read some newspaper reports that indicate when some camera stores go into bankruptcy, their main creditors seem to be companies like Canon and Nikon, etc. that are owed significant amounts. This can't be good for Canon et al..I would think. But then I'm not a financial whiz and don't understand big business...so maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe Pentax is right in their marketing. I don't know.

All I do know is that my new K-1 and my older K-5, Km and K10D are all working nicely (touch wood) and I've been ...as the Brits would say...well pleased... with their performance.

If Ricoh does pull the plug and my old Pentax equipment eventually shuffles off their mortal coil...before I do...well then perhaps I will buy a minimum of equivalent Canon equipment to tide me over, in my years remaining.

In my roundabout way I'm saying I intend to keep my Pentax stuff and stick with this fine old camera company..it really works well and helps me produce in my humble opinion, really good photography.

As to those who seem to rush to bid you good bye from the Pentaxian fold...I would ignore them...along with those who forever assert that Pentax is doomed....kidding or not...it's a tired old phrase.

But in the end, only you can make a decision for yourself. I only hope that my thoughts assist you in your decision. Again I know how you feel and the agony of the decision making process, as I have shared it and it still continues to be an issue for me.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 03-24-2017 at 01:08 PM.
03-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ In the age of Amazon, old-style retail is not working well.

In the USA, to enjoy broad distribution in camera stores, the manufacturer finances the dealer inventory outright. The Dealer has literally no investment in the product. The Dealer really can't afford to let Pentax steal sales from Canon because they live on Canon inventory turn. Ricoh Imaging doesn't offer Credit.

Pentax has a hard time getting in Box Stores like Best Buy, Target and Walmart because they actually can't deliver enough units to justify a SKU. They operate on a profit/cubic foot/minute basis. In a Walmart contract you pay a penalty if you don't deliver the agreed # of units in the agreed period because something else could have been in that cube if it is blank - for any reason.

My son owns a chain of Lacrosse gear stores - he's 100% cash, successful and cash-on-cash profitable, and every brand wants in, but some of them won't let him sell on the internet. Their big internet dealers owe them so much money they are afraid to let my son compete virtual for fear of him stealing sales from their Creditors.

He's growing so quickly investors are approaching him for franchises, and he declines. Brands try to buy their way in, but he's loyal to those who supported him early. His secret is no debt, hard work and individual, local, personal service, combined with strict internal controls like the big internet retailers.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-24-2017 at 01:52 PM.
03-24-2017, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Too add some, if you think PF isnt adding wisdom,love, and passion to you, wait till you get to subscribe to a Nikon or Canon forum..the ratio of newbies to old dogs is like 80/20..of course, it quite understandable, these companies are catering to milleniums and later generations, which are into selfies and party pics, and care less for the art of photography..do you really want to read 1000 threads of "why my Iphone takes better pictures than my D3400/T6?"
03-24-2017, 01:58 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To sum it up, I'm fully equipped with a Pentax K1, DFA zooms and DFA 100 macro. And, I'm not short of being satisfied with this camera system, including autofocus, I find the autofocus to be more than adequate for static shots and good enough for sports and wildlife tracking with some optimization of settings and shooting strategy. Image quality is amazing. I can't blame the camera, I only can blame myself for not find the right subjects.

Now, I am under the impression that there is less activity on PF compared to what it used to be back 5 to 10 years ago. I also see a lot of threads that now consist of criticism about Pentax cameras (most of the time using old lenses and cameras, but generalizing to all including newest Pentax products), always focus on what is not good. And I see Ricoh remaining passive, just release one more camera and never take frontal action to address lack of communication and not improvement in software, whatever could be done (if that could stop criticism, I'm not sure). It's sort of scary for the future of the K mount, with Sigma and Tamron not renewing lens lines for the K mount, adding to the pressure.

So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.
Hmm.. first of all, I would say, don't switch because of what others are doing or saying. Switch because it is what you want. And if it isn't, then don't switch. It's like the elections we recently had in The Netherlands (I think that was even covered on CNN due to our skirmish with Turkey and Geert Wilders' supposed popularity): I could have voted strategically, but I think democracy works best if people vote how they want to vote. That's the only way you'll get a good representation of the people. I also decided it wasn't my problem if Geert Wilders' party would become the biggest, or if they would have trouble forming a government. It felt good to take responsibility for myself like that and not giving it away. So I voted for the party I wanted to vote for (which was not Geert Wilders btw). The party is still small, but they've gained a few seats. But even if they lost seats, I'd still be glad I voted for them, because that's what I wanted to do.

It's also funny because I have heard some people saying "look at what Pentax is doing with i.e. sensor-shift technology, I wish Canon/Nikon would do that, but they just release new models with small incremental updates every time, instead of bringing real improvements". I.e. something similar to what you are saying.

I would therefore say, do you have any tangible evidence that Pentax is in trouble? If not, why would you consider switching, if you are otherwise happy with the brand? I mean, it's still possible that Pentax is in trouble, but if you don't know, then you can't blame yourself for not taking action. And I believe that's what it is about in the end.

Besides, I wonder if decreased forum activity is a good indication of brand popularity, as there are plenty of other social media as well. And people who are not writing on forums may be shooting with their Pentaxes instead.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.
03-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice troll.
03-24-2017, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this just a troll?

From my perspective (over the last 10 Pentax DSLR years - Cannon SLR before that), Ricoh is showing lots of signs of reacting to feedback from the community and there are many signs that this is a successful move for them. Whats more vibe on PF seems to be mostly positive as opposed to say 7 years ago where there more gripes being voiced.

If you are being serious, then I just can't see your point of view. But if it makes you happy by all means jump ship to Canikon.
03-24-2017, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #45
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
Too add some, if you think PF isnt adding wisdom,love, and passion to you, wait till you get to subscribe to a Nikon or Canon forum..the ratio of newbies to old dogs is like 80/20..of course, it quite understandable, these companies are catering to milleniums and later generations, which are into selfies and party pics, and care less for the art of photography..do you really want to read 1000 threads of "why my Iphone takes better pictures than my D3400/T6?"
This is somewhat exaggerated, but yeah, it has some truth to it. I'm a member of a Nikon forum as well and I do notice the level is lower than on your typical Pentax forum. Luckily, I don't buy gear to be able to participate on some forum.