Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Tempted to switch to Canikon as risk mitigation

To sum it up, I'm fully equipped with a Pentax K1, DFA zooms and DFA 100 macro. And, I'm not short of being satisfied with this camera system, including autofocus, I find the autofocus to be more than adequate for static shots and good enough for sports and wildlife tracking with some optimization of settings and shooting strategy. Image quality is amazing. I can't blame the camera, I only can blame myself for not find the right subjects.

Now, I am under the impression that there is less activity on PF compared to what it used to be back 5 to 10 years ago. I also see a lot of threads that now consist of criticism about Pentax cameras (most of the time using old lenses and cameras, but generalizing to all including newest Pentax products), always focus on what is not good. And I see Ricoh remaining passive, just release one more camera and never take frontal action to address lack of communication and not improvement in software, whatever could be done (if that could stop criticism, I'm not sure). It's sort of scary for the future of the K mount, with Sigma and Tamron not renewing lens lines for the K mount, adding to the pressure.

So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.

03-24-2017, 10:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh my... here they come... a big, long line of Pentaxians with flaming torches and a thirst for blood...
03-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do not switch yet. Wait for summer as D820 and 6Dmk2 should be announced this year. I would do so if I were looking at CaNikon. I am now looking towards 4x5 landscaping and leaving K-1 for night shooting camera. That is, if I can sort out wide angle stuff. If not, then it will be a used D4 for star trails stacking etc.
03-24-2017, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #4

I've been having the same doubts as of late, and I'm especially worried about the end of 3rd party support. At this point, I'm more likely inclined to believe that Sigma will end the production of the 35mm Art lens, than announce that they will also be offering the 50 and the 85mm lenses, for example. Ricoh seems to be in two minds regarding Pentax. I still am under the impression that their marketing strategy is close to nonexistent, and taking into account that the camera market is shrinking at a rapid pace, the future of the brand doesn't look very bright. Even so, I think this period in time would be the best starting point for a Pentax renaissance, taking into account how most of the camera makers have fallen into very specific routines with regards to their products.

But the question still remains: would it be wise to change to a different system?

03-24-2017, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.
If you purchased as investment, then lenses and cameras were a poor choice of vehicle. If you purchased to use, then I would evaluate the cost per shot over the lifetime of your gear multiplied by a satisfaction factor. Here in the U.S., cameras and lenses are considered to be five year properties for purposes of depreciation in tax calculations. You may want to consider your gear to be fully depreciated five years post-purchase.*

If you are feeling "pressure" based on market choices by Tamron and Sigma (both of which have been fickle for all mounts except Nikon in the last decade or so) and the flavor of posts on some portions of this site (ROFL), I suggest a change in reading/browsing habits. Avoid the rumors and photo industry sections and threads that are obvious rants and I promise less angst.

It also help to spend less time doing what I am doing (sitting at the computer) and more time shooting. It is Spring, after all. The light is back!!!

Steve

* I sold my K10D seven years post-purchase for only $150 USD with a Katz Eye screen thrown in to sweeten the deal. I consider that to be fully depreciated from the $1100 or so I paid for it new.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-24-2017 at 11:14 AM.
03-24-2017, 11:04 AM - 7 Likes   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

jumper - we've got a jumper here!
03-24-2017, 11:10 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

The grass is greener over there, and their users are never unhappy about the products.

03-24-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bye bye.
03-24-2017, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
jumper - we've got a jumper here!
Can I be a pusher?
03-24-2017, 11:15 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Pentax is Doomed

Been hearing that since the late 60's.
03-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Do you really believe that Ricoh would bother to announce it if they stopped doing DSLR alltogether?
03-24-2017, 11:22 AM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Umm, but they do listen. I started a petition to give us tethering, and we got a version of it. I started a petition to give KAF4 compatibility to some camera bodies that weren't going to get it, and then we got ti on the K3 and K50. They watch, they listen.
03-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJKoski Quote
I am now looking towards 4x5 landscaping and leaving K-1 for night shooting camera. That is, if I can sort out wide angle stuff.
Wide angle on the K-1 or on the 4x5? If the 4x5, things get strange fast as one approaches 60mm focal length. My Chamonix 045N2 has pretty decent minimum extension as well as design features to favor wide angle work, but it is still a pain. Your Intrepid may not be as friendly.

Steve
03-24-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess i would say a couple of things. First of all, the k mount seems to be in better shape than it has been in a long time. Ricoh has released numerous k mount cameras and has new levels in the line up (KP, full frame) than have been available. Certainly they are doing anything but telegraphing an end to the k mount and in fact they are releasing a number of new full frame k mount lenses. Seems unlikely they would do that if they were planning to shut the works down and go with some kind of a mirrorless model.

The second thing is that level of activity on the forum is a very poor judge for real viability of the brand. Based on internet activity alone, you would think Fuji was the top selling brand, which we know it isn't. Forum activity tends to pick up when there is a new flagship release -- probably next burst of activity will be with release of K3 II sequel sometime the end of this year.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide.
03-24-2017, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #15

Why switch now. You have most of the latest equipment. You know that what ever you sell your stuff for, including free to me (LOL), it will cost more going to Canon or Nikon. Why not wait a year or two or five? When your current equipment no longer meets your needs and assuming Pentax/Ricoh doesn't have anything that can fill that need, then jump. But you have stated that as of right now, your Pentax gear meets your needs. Unless you have money to spend and you don't mind starting over. Then send me your gear. I know I could be happy with it for a few more years anyway.