Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 02:40 PM - 4 Likes   #46
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Luckily, I don't buy gear to be able to participate on some forum.
Indeed. On the other hand, shooting a brand / system with such an active user base is a huge point in its favour for me. I've had a lot of help and advice, directly and indirectly, from other members of PF, some of whom are remarkably knowledgeable and experienced. I wouldn't have progressed anything like as quickly with my photography and equipment were it not for them. And I would never have found this place if it weren't for the fact that I bought a Pentax DSLR back in 2010. This place is a huge asset and benefit to anyone who shoots Pentax - a big consideration if the urge to switch brands ever takes hold

03-24-2017, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
And not even talking about the fact that you're using a 8.5" x 11" sensor! FF are so small...
Yep, I think this kind of response is enjoyed by Biz-engineer, who is most likely chuckling after rolling the hand grenade into the room.

The members of this forum I follow most closely have a Trinity ( bit like f2.8 zooms) of information, humour and posted photos.

BE's one of those.
03-24-2017, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.
I had the same thoughts as you and I did my own analysis of the situation. I moved from Canon to Pentax. The only advantage of the Canon was that because of the large user base, my gear sold pretty quickly and at a very good price compared to what had I paid for them. If I were to switch again, I would not go to Canon or Nikon. The action is at Sony and Fuji and to a lesser degree at Panasonic. My entire Pentax K1 gear, two zooms and six primes would bring me enough cash to buy a Sony A7RII and one zoom! In the exchange, I would not gain anymore capability in the still image department. As a matter of fact I will lose capability (lens and features) and possibly quality. The only place I will gain will be in the video department. So I am staying put and not going anywhere. By the time the value of my current Pentax system goes to zero, say 3-5 years, I am going to make multiple times what the system is worth.

BTW, Canon and Nikon are in big trouble because of Sony and Fuji. They are not safe bets at all. For that matter no one is a safe bet. Look what happened to Samsung. Mighty Samsung gave up on the camera market because nobody was buying their systems. The sad thing is that they threw tons of marketing money at the system but still no one bought the stuff. What is keeping Pentax alive is an army of loyal followers and excellent products no one has thought of and at prices no one can touch. Try to get a camera with the capability of the K1 for $1,800 from anyone else. Good luck!

It is up to you. It is a free market system and we are free to take our dollars wherever we want. I wish you best of luck.
03-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #49

Photos: Albums
I have the same dilemma. I just jumped in with both feet and bought a K1 and some lenses, but I am ready to bail. It is clear the phone makers are going to bankrupt the camera makers. It is just a matter of time before my iPhone out performs my K1, or any other camera, in every scenario. Already, nobody ever complains when I instantly post my shot on facebook that my shot is out of focus. I always get tons of likes. I use to think that people holding up their iPads to take pictures were morons, but as I get older I am liking the big screen more and more.

To sum it up, I'm fully equipped with a Pentax K1, DFA zooms and DFA 100 macro. And, I'm not short of being satisfied with this camera system, including autofocus, I find the autofocus to be more than adequate for static shots and good enough for sports and wildlife tracking with some optimization of settings and shooting strategy. Image quality is amazing. I can't blame the camera, I only can blame myself for not find the right subjects.

Now, I am under the impression that there is less activity on PF compared to what it used to be back 5 to 10 years ago. I also see a lot of threads that now consist of criticism about Pentax cameras (most of the time using old lenses and cameras, but generalizing to all including newest Pentax products), always focus on what is not good. And I see Ricoh remaining passive, just release one more camera and never take frontal action to address lack of communication and not improvement in software, whatever could be done (if that could stop criticism, I'm not sure). It's sort of scary for the future of the K mount, with Sigma and Tamron not renewing lens lines for the K mount, adding to the pressure.

So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.

03-24-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I have the same dilemma. I just jumped in with both feet and bought a K1 and some lenses, but I am ready to bail. It is clear the phone makers are going to bankrupt the camera makers. It is just a matter of time before my iPhone out performs my K1, or any other camera, in every scenario. Already, nobody ever complains when I instantly post my shot on facebook that my shot is out of focus. I always get tons of likes. I use to think that people holding up their iPads to take pictures were morons, but as I get older I am liking the big screen more and more.
I don't take photos to please others. I take them to please me. The number of "Likes" I get on Facebook is of zero importance to me personally. Even badly focused, poorly lit and ill-composed shots get "Likes" so it's not the quality that's being voted on.

Yes my phone will take very acceptable images for quick sharing, and sometimes is my best camera... because it's the only one I have with me. But I don't see any time in the very near future that the ultimate quality of my cell-phone pics will out-shine my lowly Pentax. I shoot with a DSLR because I love the art in photography. I shoot with my phone when I simply want to grab a snapshot. Yeah that snapshot will probably get likes if I post it. It doesn't mean I'm particularly proud of the shot nor that I should be simply because of Facebook.
03-24-2017, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been pleased with Pentax ever since I bought my K-1000. I am satisfied by Pentax camera and lens product availability. If someone researches products, buys them, they function as expected, and the user takes proper care of them, obviously the original investment is going to prove itself as well worth it in most scenarios.
03-24-2017, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #52
mee
Veteran Member

If you're serious, then I question why you spent so much money in the first place, just to share images on facebook... which only supports tiny resolution and smushes the details in that resolution to smithereens.

Really in your situation, I would have never left the smartphone market. Could have saved a ton of cash. These cameras we use are for higher resolution output... printing mostly. Plus the larger sensor is MUCH better for low-light scenes. Something a smartphone and it's super tiny sized sensor can't physically overcome. Or ever will...

Plus you can't exactly telephoto zoom on a smartphone.. there are a lot of reasons for DSLRs and ILCs but if they don't affect you, I'd sell the camera gear pronto before it takes a dive on value!

03-24-2017, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

and its gets better for Android7s..check this out..

XDA quoted:
Version IV features :
- Simulated Predictive Auto Focus (even better than Xperia X!)(for enabling PDAF, choose object tracking in focus modes)
- Faster, more accurate Focus for great images, regardless of conditions
- Improved Sharpness for both photos and videos
- Our exclusive image process engine, called Vera! Which reproduces color and Restores lost details.
- Improved Front camera drivers
- Added 12MP resolution(For best details and least noise!)
- Added 20MP 16:9
- Added AUTO SCN to manual mode
- Optimized SCNs
- Increased max iso value of Night Scene up to 8000!(So you can take brighter pictures with less noise in darkness!)
- Increased max iso value of Night Portrait up to 1600(So you can take brighter and less shaky pictures)
- Increased max iso value of manual mode up to 3200(When exposure mode is auto)
- Advanced video recording
- Added 4K UHD resolution to video mode!
- Our latest video recording technology, 4K+!
- Added HD 120/60/30fps
- Now HDR is available for 4K
- Added focus mode and SCNs to 4K resolution
- Added Intelligent Active stabilizer for Full HD 60fps
- Added some more Scenes to video mode.
- Added Infinity focus
- Updated Camera Apps
- Use date-time naming-scheme
- Upgraded Camera Program version to f4000040
- ISO 25600 (Xperia Z3 line only)"

HD 120 FPS 4K!!!
Why does Sony even bother to make cameras?
But..I prefer to use lenses..
03-24-2017, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
- ISO 25600 (Xperia Z3 line only)
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Oh, please, no more!
03-24-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

You should stop photography altogether. Nothing less is good enough - do you think you'd be safe with Canon or Nikon? Or any other brand? That goes beyond photography - right now a meteorite might crash down into your house. Be afraid! Be very afraid! (and sell your house right away, as it isn't safe!)

What's the point of this? FUD? To create panic - despite having no reason - and convince as many people to abandon Pentax, hoping that Pentax would be badly hurt?
03-24-2017, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

I would not want to look at a shiny/reflective phone screen as my only option to take/compose a nice image. My top lcd screen and viewfinder are a lot more effective.
03-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #57
Pentaxian

It is just a matter of time before my iPhone out performs my K1, or any other camera, in every scenario.
For point and shoot applications, you may have a point. I have been pondering the same issue myself. I can see a well exposed iPhone image making an acceptable 8"x10" image but that might be limit. However, for professional photography work, it will be a long time before an iPhone replaces a serious DSLR. When a client wants to blow up the image to a 3 ft. X 8 ft. poster, an iPhone will not work. When you are selling photos as art and printing 30"x40" prints the iPhone will not work.
03-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #58
Pentaxian

I don't think a smartphone can ever outperform the K-1 in every scenario. Because physics.
03-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #59

Although my collection of favorite Pentax mount lenses is small, it suits my needs. I am very happy with the image quality from Pentax. If I were to switch bodies I would have to also obtain a 70-300mm telephoto, a 18-250MM walk around lens, a 50 something prime, plus flash and odds and ends. More money than I can justify for a hobby. I doubt I would invest in a new expensive Pentax body, but as long as I can find fairly recent bodies used from KEH (for example), I see no reason to switch brands. When good used bodies run out, however, I may no choice.
03-24-2017, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

It is just a matter of time before my iPhone out performs my K1, or any other camera, in every scenario.
Yeah from a technological standpoint this just won't happen. They're improving but so will bigger sensors. Plus you will never get the same flexibility out of a phone camera, ever.

This is like saying tablets will beat out an actual desktop, it's not going to because it's an entirely different segment with different design goals