Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 161 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

@Kerrowdown:
Multiple systems? I have a better solution: get all the systems. All of them. One will survive, perhaps? If we're lucky?

Joking aside, I would not advise running multiple systems for this reason alone. You'd only transform an unlikely probability - having to spend money on another system - in a certainty.

And it's not like the equipment would suddenly cease functioning after some official press release. There are certain signs before that, you know? Like Samsung retiring NX from Europe - and a 2015 with only one camera and no lenses; the story dragged well into 2016.
There's nothing like that with Pentax/Ricoh Imaging. There are no empty denials, with no promise of system continuation. Just read this interview:
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

03-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #92
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Why not just run multiple systems?

Many here do... and then you can "have your cake and eat it".
I used to, in the film era. Pentax SLR(s) 35mm and Mamiya medium format....C220 Pro F and 55 wide angle, 80 normal and 180 super telephoto....also my old Leica llf rangefinder 35mm. It can be done and wasn't an issue. Different horses for different courses.

In the digital era I'm running 4 Pentax DSLR's...plus lenses and in a very small way Canon...G12 and 430EX ll flash.
03-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Biz, I know what you mean and I'm always a bit fearful we could lose Pentax at some point, but it's unlikely. I spoke to Joe Edelman about this and he reckons Nikon, Canon and Pentax will be around for good.

Consider this. If Pentax does disappear you can always go adapted mirrorless. If Pentax disappeared no doubt there would be a huge market for K-mount to E-mount AF adapters and that demand will be met by Metabones or whoever. Battery life will continue to suck however.

Moving systems because of what might happen but hasn't and likely won't is a guaranteed financial calamity. I certainly won't be giving up my Pentax glass, ever.
03-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I love composing images on the 5.5" display of my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's ~600DPI and you just fall into the image. Looking at a camera's screen is comparatively primitive.
I don't disagree (though I haven't seen that particular phone screen), but I use the optical viewfinder on my Pentax rather than the screen.

What I really meant about ergonomics was that it's much easier for me to hold the Pentax securely for taking photos -- and way easier to whip the Pentax into place for a candid shot.

03-26-2017, 01:03 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To sum it up, I'm fully equipped with a Pentax K1, DFA zooms and DFA 100 macro. And, I'm not short of being satisfied with this camera system, including autofocus, I find the autofocus to be more than adequate for static shots and good enough for sports and wildlife tracking with some optimization of settings and shooting strategy. Image quality is amazing. I can't blame the camera, I only can blame myself for not find the right subjects.

Now, I am under the impression that there is less activity on PF compared to what it used to be back 5 to 10 years ago. I also see a lot of threads that now consist of criticism about Pentax cameras (most of the time using old lenses and cameras, but generalizing to all including newest Pentax products), always focus on what is not good. And I see Ricoh remaining passive, just release one more camera and never take frontal action to address lack of communication and not improvement in software, whatever could be done (if that could stop criticism, I'm not sure). It's sort of scary for the future of the K mount, with Sigma and Tamron not renewing lens lines for the K mount, adding to the pressure.

So, should I sell my Pentax gear and buy a Canon or Nikon system in case Ricoh image would announce that they stop doing DSLR all together?
I would really miss the Pentax system, but if there is no other choice, I'll have to sell and get back some money before the exchange value goes to zero.
Ahahah you have been such a troll from the begining. I remember the part when you explained you are a trader and you can make few thousands a day... Why would you care of loosing a few thousands by selling gear at the wrong time? Doesn't make sense for somebody as rich as yourself.

To me this post is just another one in the same trend...

But let's assume you are serious and you lack the most basic common sense...

Camera gear if you are not making money thanks to it is a cost. Money wise, what make sense is to reduce the spending as much as possible, this include not spending anymore on it.

Your are satisfied, but you actually want to change, to buy more. The Canikon part is truely a detail. You want to spend more. And for that you may think to resell your current gear. And you feel that in Pentax it may depreciate faster than in Canikon. But money at the bank depreciate far less... All of this is under the justification to spend more on gear. Because it is fun, because for all the bad things you said on Canikon among the years, you know this is just wrong and about brands, but that you would enjoy a lot to play with the new toys.

So either let's just assume you want an excuse to spend more, to get new shiny toys (and we are all like that, just at different levels) and you feel insecure because you already have it all in Pentax and can't justify any new toy (no K1-II, not interrested in new primes as you prefer zooms...) and, yet why not go Canikon? Really why not. This is just brand, is you get enjoyment in that, that's fine.

But don't try to explain it is to protect your investment in lenses. Whatever you do, if we look at your future photographic gear 10 years from now, the most likely outcome is that much more money would been involved. It may not even encompass much better gear like a medium frame or a D5... Just more spendings.
03-26-2017, 01:31 AM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Ahahah you have been such a troll from the begining. I remember the part when you explained you are a trader and you can make few thousands a day... Why would you care of loosing a few thousands by selling gear at the wrong time? Doesn't make sense for somebody as rich as yourself. To me this post is just another one in the same trend... But let's assume you are serious and you lack the most basic common sense... Camera gear if you are not making money thanks to it is a cost. Money wise, what make sense is to reduce the spending as much as possible, this include not spending anymore on it. Your are satisfied, but you actually want to change, to buy more. The Canikon part is truely a detail. You want to spend more. And for that you may think to resell your current gear. And you feel that in Pentax it may depreciate faster than in Canikon. But money at the bank depreciate far less... All of this is under the justification to spend more on gear. Because it is fun, because for all the bad things you said on Canikon among the years, you know this is just wrong and about brands, but that you would enjoy a lot to play with the new toys. So either let's just assume you want an excuse to spend more, to get new shiny toys (and we are all like that, just at different levels) and you feel insecure because you already have it all in Pentax and can't justify any new toy (no K1-II, not interrested in new primes as you prefer zooms...) and, yet why not go Canikon? Really why not. This is just brand, is you get enjoyment in that, that's fine. But don't try to explain it is to protect your investment in lenses. Whatever you do, if we look at your future photographic gear 10 years from now, the most likely outcome is that much more money would been involved. It may not even encompass much better gear like a medium frame or a D5... Just more spendings.
:-) thanks for the comment.

So, I've make a simulation in Excel.

Based on 5 years upgrade cycle, resell price of lens 50% of buy price, resell price of camera body = $0 after 5 years (obsolete), with the assumption that the price of new gear with be the same as current prices in constant money value and I repurchase non OEM lenses (Tamron / Sigma) mounted on OEM body , it cost the same amount of money to keep K mount or switch to another mount when the probability of K mount bankruptcy is 70% over the next 5 years (30% survival). For 90% chance of K mount bankruptcy (10% survival) during the next 5 years, if I keep Pentax K mount, it costs me an average 700 euros for 5 years (=190 euros / year). And for 100% chance of K mount going bust, the expected cost is 290 euros per year. Peanuts.

Now, if I repurchase OEM lenses (instead of Tamron/Sigma lenses), the equilibrium (=no difference whether i switch now or later) is at 75.425% change of K mount bankruptcy (of course with all the assumptions made, which may not hold true in the future).
03-26-2017, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

Based on 5 years upgrade cycle, resell price of lens 50% of buy price, resell price of camera body = $0 after 5 years (obsolete), with the assumption that the price of new gear with be the same as current prices in constant money value and I repurchase non OEM lenses (Tamron / Sigma) mounted on OEM body , it cost the same amount of money to keep K mount or switch to another mount when the probability of K mount bankruptcy is 70% over the next 5 years (30% survival). For 90% chance of K mount bankruptcy (10% survival) during the next 5 years, if I keep Pentax K mount, it costs me an average 700 euros for 5 years (=190 euros / year). And for 100% chance of K mount going bust, the expected cost is 290 euros per year. Peanuts.

Now, if I repurchase OEM lenses (instead of Tamron/Sigma lenses), the equilibrium (=no difference whether i switch now or later) is at 75.425% change of K mount bankruptcy (of course with all the assumptions made, which may not hold true in the future).
The theory is good but has obvious shortcomings:

Your gear would have value of 0 if the brand goes bankrupt.
I'll tell you the brandd goes bankrupt today, I give you $1000 for your gear and resell it for at least $2500, lol. This gear wouldn't be my choice but a 150-450, the 24-70 or 70-200 for $500 each is something you'll achieve even if the brand just stopped. This is just too much of a bargain. The same for that K1... Do you really think that in 5 years, even if that was the last model to be ever sold by Pentax that you couldn't make at least $300-$500 out of it?

You think you have to sell everything in 5 years no matter what...

Now why buy more of the same? The #1 difference in Canikon vs Pentax is lens choice + AF performance. You are satisfied official with you gear and AF performance. No reason to switch now or in 5 years.

You explained it quite well yourself, would you have brought a D800 5 years ago your gear would still be current. The lenses don't change fast. There will be nothing noticably superior to what you have now. Maybe FF with 50MP instead of 36 as a standard, that's about it. Will not make a different to anything you could print or display.

But let assume that you right, something radically better and different will be there in 5 years. And you'll want it. Then you'll want to acquire it. Truth is that there no reason it wouldn't be Sony, Panasonic or Pentax. Or Canon if you move to Nikon, Or Nikon if you move to Canon... Or a new brand.

And even if that the same brand, a new way to take photo may very well involve different devices altogether. In that case this doesn't change anything if your actual gear is Pentax or Canikon...

03-26-2017, 03:01 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The biggest question is whether or not you are satisfied with your ability to make images with the K-1 and the lenses you own. Are there more lenses you want to purchase, but can't because of cost or because they just don't exist for Pentax?

Nicolas is right. Even ancient FD Mount lenses have some value in the market now that there are mirrorless cameras that can mount them and you can be sure your Pentax lenses are still going to be usable on a NEX camera, even if the k mount went away. Nice lenses are nice lenses, even if you have to use them in manual mode with an adapter.
03-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And it's not like the equipment would suddenly cease functioning after some official press release.
Depends, if your camera of choice is a Galaxy S7, Samsung plan to disable the latest still in consumer hand by disabling the camera
03-26-2017, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #100
Pentaxian

10% survival chance? 0% survival chance?
I call that BS, not simulation.

Thing is, you want new toys just for the sake of having new toys, and try to talk yourself into making this needless purchase by attacking the brand you're using.
I'd really wish people would stop doing that.
03-26-2017, 03:20 AM   #101
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I wasn't sure if the original post was serious or a wind-up... Now, reading the above, I *know* it's a wind-up

Still, I'm sure Adam appreciates the site traffic
03-26-2017, 03:36 AM   #102
Pentaxian

So... Adam appreciates a lame attempt at lowering Pentax' sales through the spread of FUD?
What kind of place is this, I wonder
03-26-2017, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #103
Veteran Member

Biz-engineer, if you are being serious here which it seems otherwise to me.....I will play along.
QuoteQuote:
Based on 5 years upgrade cycle, resell price of lens 50% of buy price, resell price of camera body = $0 after 5 years (obsolete)
I have to disagree here. Thats really arbitrary and not accurate at all as evidenced by the current market value of well maintained k20ds and any of the non kit lens. Heck, even.the kit lens for digital hold a lot of value years after release. Spread sheets are great but if the starting premise here is flawed, the rest is just losing lottery numbers..nothing more.

Al
03-26-2017, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
<snip>And it's not like the equipment would suddenly cease functioning after some official press release. There are certain signs before that, you know? Like Samsung retiring NX from Europe - and a 2015 with only one camera and no lenses; the story dragged well into 2016.
There's nothing like that with Pentax/Ricoh Imaging. There are no empty denials, with no promise of system continuation. Just read this interview:
CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com
He might consider replacing his Q System with a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-GX System.

Oh. Wait.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-26-2017 at 06:24 AM.
03-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Biz, I know what you mean and I'm always a bit fearful we could lose Pentax at some point, but it's unlikely. I spoke to Joe Edelman about this and he reckons Nikon, Canon and Pentax will be around for good.

Consider this. If Pentax does disappear you can always go adapted mirrorless. If Pentax disappeared no doubt there would be a huge market for K-mount to E-mount AF adapters and that demand will be met by Metabones or whoever. Battery life will continue to suck however.

Moving systems because of what might happen but hasn't and likely won't is a guaranteed financial calamity. I certainly won't be giving up my Pentax glass, ever.
Companies already started introducing larger batteries, look at Only EM1 II. CameraStore guys reviewed it, said battery life doubled, and that's with the new screens and evf, as well as newer and better ibis system. At some point they'll be pretty close to slrs. At least close enough not to matter that much