Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Best Rated *ist and why?

Hi,

Could some of you be kind enough to give me some advice on the 'best' *ist model, as I wish to buy one for low light shooting, and utilize the *ist series' excellent noise response and high iso function.

Many Thanks!

08-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The D and DS both have the big pentaprism viewfinders, so either win over DL. The D has more K10D/K20D style controls (dual wheels, etc), so a lot of people would pick it.

But FWIW, in low light shooting, SR is worth its weight in gold. My pictures improved noticeably when I went from the DS to K200D. If you buy into the notion th the 10MP sensor is inherently inferior (I don't, having compared them side by side), then I'd recommend the K100D as providing everything *ist series in terms of IQ does but adding SR.
08-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
good, logical advice, thanks....I'll think on that a while

ta ;=0
08-11-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to the penta prism of the *istD and DS, noted by others, you will find that the *istD and DS also have true TTL flash metering using reflected light off the sensor.

I have found this much more accurate than P-TTL metering, and it has the additional benefit of being able to use non "A" lenses in flash photography.

The only drawback of the *istD is the CF card and relitively slow (when you compare it to the K10D for example) image transfer speed.

Over the almost 5 years I have had my *istD it has performed well, although I do now have a few hot pixles. These are easily managed in PSP X2 using the blemish retouch feature

08-11-2008, 03:04 AM   #5

If you want to use high iso's i recommend the K100D(s). 2 major advantages:
-SR
-Latest version of the 6mp sensor, it handles noise really well
08-11-2008, 03:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, I've looked at the specs, and reckon I will go with the k100s, I forgot the 100 range were 6 mp. I love my k10 but sick of the noise issue, I need something I can bump up for really fast shutter speeds with slower lenses, and night stuff. Thanks for the advice.