Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I see you've decided to get a K-1, I guess after seeing it in person it possessed you?
Have lots of fun with it!
See the K-1 thread for how that all developed, and how doubt turned to something more like certainty. I've been hemming and hawing for an age, let it go at Christmas, but decided there is no time like the present. Also, I knew that my regular February overseas conference would put me in a position to be able to handle one before I paid the large sum that it cost, so it was worth deferring until I could have the camera in hand. At first the size and heft was offputting, but after taking off the D-FA* 70-200 and putting the DA 18-135 back on, it no longer seemed quite so heavy. Definitely bulkier than the K-5 and will need getting used to, but I can see myself appreciating quite a few of its new features. Even if I only ever shot it in crop mode (which I guarantee you I won't), it would almost be worth it.

Mind you, local snowstorms will probably keep me waiting for a few days (though I would love to be proved wrong there), but after that... full-frame digital, here I come!!

I might add in reply to others that no upgrade per se is needed here. I've had a K-5 for about five years now; it replaced a dead *istDL. The *istDS purchase was mostly to play around with analogue TTL on a digital body and to enjoy a bit of nostalgia for the *ist series. I can comfortably say that I have wrung the heck out of what's possible with these cameras, and anyone who finds themselves with one that works and is going cheap should give it a go, especially if they can find themselves an AF280T flash to go with it. From the POV of using pre-A lenses with flash, analogue TTL was and is a godsend; even with only 6.1MP on a CCD sensor, it just about turned the K-5 into a shelf queen. Such a shame that the original Pentax full-frame camera had such a dodgy sensor; if only Philips could have got that right, Pentax would have been a world-beater.

03-31-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Upgrading a DS to anything beyond a DS2 will give you a cam body that won't like TTL flash anymore (which is my own main reason for still using a DS at times).

Just sayin'...
03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Upgrading a DS to anything beyond a DS2 will give you a cam body that won't like TTL flash anymore
This is the reason why I bought one secondhand, to supplement my K-5 (and now my K-1). Because there are some old tricks that the new dogs can't do.

I understand that the original *istD had full TTL control even on the built-in flash, which would truly be a magnificent thing to have for shooting with older manual lenses (within the B-I-F's limitations, of course), but that's not enough reason for me to hunt one down, having already bought an *istDS.

Oddly enough yesterday night's shot went smoothly, with the date stamp restored to the EXIF. My whining here seems to have scared it into behaving itself for a while!
03-31-2017, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I understand that the original *istD had full TTL control even on the built-in flash, which would truly be a magnificent thing to have for shooting with older manual lenses
The ist-ds does not have TTL function with the inbuilt flash, only with external flashes having TTL mode.
Internal flash uses P_TTL mode with all lenses in "A" except M lenses.
With M lenses, the flash fires only at full power.
(Refer manual page 153)

04-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the battery posts. I was able to resurrect by *istDS with new batteries. Thanks
04-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
Thanks for the battery posts. I was able to resurrect by *istDS with new batteries. Thanks
Hey thats great news then! Its still a great little camera..I use mine alot even now.
Al
04-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
The ist-ds does not have TTL function with the inbuilt flash, only with external flashes having TTL mode.
Internal flash uses P_TTL mode with all lenses in "A" except M lenses.
With M lenses, the flash fires only at full power.
(Refer manual page 153)
Thanks for that; I have a 50mm/f2.0 A lens and a couple of third party A type lenses that I shall have to put on and give a try.

04-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

This:

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I use rechargeable CRV-3's in my 1st D, D-BG1, DS and DL. All work flawlessly with these batteries. I had the same date and time issue using when changing rechargeable AA's on the DS last year, it has not happened since switching to the recharge CRV-3, maybe 7 battery swaps in a year..........
Two cheap chargers, four rechargeable CRV-3s, and an old leatherette film canister holder.
Better than NiMH and cheaper than disposables. I have an *istD rather than an *istDS but the parent commenter believes that CRV-3s fit in both.
04-03-2017, 03:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
I had the same date and time issue using when changing rechargeable AA's on the DS last year
Sorry for my typo, it should have read " I had the same date and time issue using rechargeable AA's on the DS last year". I did use all 3 cameras yesterday, all have recharge CRV-3's in them. I tend to have a lens attached to the bodies for extended periods to keep dust out as I do not want to do sensor cleaning any more than necessary and no matter how hard I try there is always at least 1 dust particle that refuse's to leave. Here are 2 recent shots with the DS using the built in flash.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo