Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2017, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fear my *istDS may be dying.

Three times I have turned it on tonight, and on each occasion it asked me to set the date and time.

The first time at least, it had also forgotten all my usual settings (permit aperture ring, etc.).

Recently it has been behaving erratically with regards to analogue TTL exposures (the reason I got it).

I fear something terrible has happened. Or is about to happen. Or both.

Oh well, if it packs up on me things aren't too terrible. I still have my K-5 and my film cameras, and a K-1 is on the way. It's* 13 years old and I've got a little over 3000 exposures out of it for the less than $100CDN I paid and the several months I've had it. Better than 30 exposures per dollar, which is cheaper than film ever was in my lifetime. And the TTL, while it was working smoothly, was a lot of fun.

With the K-1 inbound, I have no plans to replace it with another *ist-series body. That would just be pure indulgence. Maybe one day, down the track. But not now. It's been fun, and it may continue to be fun for a little while longer... but when it's over, it's over.

* Referring to the *istDS, naturally, not the K-1!

Last edited by pathdoc; 03-29-2017 at 04:02 PM.
03-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Three times I have turned it on tonight, and on each occasion it asked me to set the date and time.
The ist ds here has limited time ( compared to modern cameras) of memory hold up when the AA cells are removed or discharged.

I suggest to charge your 4 cells than check each one with a multimeter , should be around 1.60 + Volt (Edit: ~ 1.35 + for Ray-O-Vac "Recharge") and all within a spread of 0.03 Volt.
As I recall, when the batteries are taken out too long, the date/time needs to be reset, but not the other user parameters ( not sure) .

Also the ist ds will discharge rapidly if you plug in the usb to up[load, and forget to unplug after a few minutes.
Apart from that , the ist ds here lasts about 2 months between charges.

Other check:
Set iso 1600 and take a photo of a uniformly lit subject like a speaker grille or dark wall etc.
Look for bright or colored vertical lines which might indicate a row with lost bucket brigade from the ccd.

Notes :
The ist dL had a problem when they failed due to indicating low battery when the battery was actually OK.
I had two DL that bit the dust with this problem.

However this problem did not occur on either of the 2 ist ds I had.

the early model ist ds I had failed by the above line of bright pixels, followed by the often reported intermittent shutter wheel.
The one I still have was a late model from Mexico and it is still 100 % OK as far as I know.

Hope this helps you to keep your ist ds going.
regards,

Last edited by wombat2go; 03-29-2017 at 07:09 PM.
03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My trusty *ist DS died two months ago. Camera still powered on but no shutter release. Hope yours survives.
03-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If memory serves me...and it's been a long time since I owned the DS, but the date and time is backed up by a capacitor, not a true battery like the original ist-D used. You can replace the capacitor, and that should solve the problem. However, that requires opening up the camera and some soldering. I doubt you'd find it cost effective to have it serviced by a professional.

Now, that being said, I used to have a link somewhere, and some instructions on where that capacitor is located....which board etc, but I'm afraid that was many years ago, and I've long since lost that information. You might be able to find it by searching endless threads, or perhaps someone else here who is better organized than myself can help you out....

Sorry, but best I can do to help.....

good luck,

03-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for that. The camera is shooting just fine in manual mode, and you would think that on battery discharge it would just lock up. Battery indicator is full charge, and I always transfer pictures by taking out the SD card. No line of dead pixels.

I will try a recharge in any case, and see what difference that makes.
03-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
and you would think that on battery discharge it would just lock up
If battery is low, I have had occurences where the ist ds indicates good battery, but the dispays shut down immediately when the shutter button is pressed.
In that case it has always recovered on a battery charge.
03-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is probably something you already know since you have had the camera so long but my ist ds can be picky on batteries. Maybe try changing them out. Put in a set of non rechargeable alkalines and see how it does. Its a stretch here but maybe they are bad and theres a threshold thats needed that they cant meet. Just a suggestion. Hope that oldie but goodie keeps on going for you.

Al

03-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
This is probably something you already know since you have had the camera so long but my ist ds can be picky on batteries. Maybe try changing them out. Put in a set of non rechargeable alkalines and see how it does. Its a stretch here but maybe they are bad and theres a threshold thats needed that they cant meet. Just a suggestion. Hope that oldie but goodie keeps on going for you.

Al
For rechargeables, Eneloops will probably be your best bet, given their high capacity. For non-rechargeables, Energizer Lithiums can't be beat. I have a set in my K-x that have been in it ever since I put them in fresh to update the firmware a year and a half ago and they're still going strong. And hey, if the camera is going out, you've had a good, long run with it and there are newer Pentax camera bodies available these days at pretty affordable prices.
03-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had my ist DS since new. and over time various things failed, including flash. Exposures were all over the place, and it would work only on those expensive throw away CR V3 batteries. I am not on a big budget, so replaced it with a K30.
03-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
And hey, if the camera is going out, you've had a good, long run with it
Only a few months, as I stated above - I got it secondhand VERY cheap. The age of the camera is based on its approximate year of introduction!
03-30-2017, 04:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use rechargeable CRV-3's in my 1st D, D-BG1, DS and DL. All work flawlessly with these batteries. I had the same date and time issue using when changing rechargeable AA's on the DS last year, it has not happened since switching to the recharge CRV-3, maybe 7 battery swaps in a year..........
03-30-2017, 04:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I use rechargeable CRV-3's in my 1st D, D-BG1, DS and DL. All work flawlessly with these batteries. I had the same date and time issue using when changing rechargeable AA's on the DS last year, it has not happened since switching to the recharge CRV-3, maybe 7 battery swaps in a year..........
Changing them was not the problem - the batteries were in the camera and the charge indicator said they were fine!
03-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Terry C Quote
Had my ist DS since new. and over time various things failed, including flash. Exposures were all over the place, and it would work only on those expensive throw away CR V3 batteries. I am not on a big budget, so replaced it with a K30.
A very worthy upgrade. I followed the same path, albeit with some other bodies in between.
03-30-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

A lot of great advice here. Just 2 more Cents.

Electronics start acting really funky when power isn't consistent. I know very little about this camera, but if it takes over the counter AA batteries, then I would go to a drugstore and see what a good set of Energizers will do for you. If all is well, buy new rechargeable batteries and call it a day.

Good luck!!!
03-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I see you've decided to get a K-1, I guess after seeing it in person it possessed you?
Have lots of fun with it!