Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D - Yes, I am in love

Dammit.. I didn't want to be.. but having access to this camera.. I couldn't help it. Took it out today for a short time... and now I don't know if I can even *look* at my DS again, let alone shoot with it.. ARRGGH!

Suffice it to say, I will be turning all my financial attention into obtaining a K10D.

Here are some shots I took with it this afternoon:

K10D Shots - a photoset on Flickr

What can I say.. I like ducks.

02-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I love the shot of the trumpeter swan getting out of the water onto the icy/snowy shore. Great shot.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to start saving for a K10D myself - maybe my tax return will cover it .

Last edited by betsypdx; 02-17-2007 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Being corrected by Artyste :)
02-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I love the shot of the duck getting out of the water onto the icy/snowy shore. Great shot.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to start saving for a K10D myself - maybe my tax return will cover it .
That one is actually a Trumpeter Swan Thanks though.. I actually only just *now* realized his foot is still raised in the air. hahaha. Or maybe I shouldn't have admitted that...

The K10D is an amazing camera.. amazing. Super Amazing.
02-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a lot to love!

I picked up the Sony Alpha this weekend, and it isn't in the same league. It is a Minolta 5D + enhancements, much more like a DS/DL than a K10.

The two scroll wheels on the K10 are a must. Especially after the 1.1 firmware with ISO changable via the OK button, this camera has a LOT of features going for it. And such a nice build and feel. And it is so FAST!

But don't disparage your DS - I'm still using mine. If it had a vertical grip I'd use it even more.

The birds looked nice, too. Continuous auto-focus?

02-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
There is a lot to love!

I picked up the Sony Alpha this weekend, and it isn't in the same league. It is a Minolta 5D + enhancements, much more like a DS/DL than a K10.

The two scroll wheels on the K10 are a must. Especially after the 1.1 firmware with ISO changable via the OK button, this camera has a LOT of features going for it. And such a nice build and feel. And it is so FAST!

But don't disparage your DS - I'm still using mine. If it had a vertical grip I'd use it even more.

The birds looked nice, too. Continuous auto-focus?
No, AF-S. I don't like AF-C.. it bugs me.
And for the record.. the Sony Alpha isn't in the same league as the Canon 300D/Original Digital Rebel... IMO
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Nice shots! It is definitely a step up from my *istD. I have only used m ist to take pics of the K10.
02-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
No, AF-S. I don't like AF-C.. it bugs me.
And for the record.. the Sony Alpha isn't in the same league as the Canon 300D/Original Digital Rebel... IMO
AF-C bugs me too. I like the shot with the duck on the way to take off to the flight across the lake.

One more happy customer

02-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
I love the shot of the trumpeter swan getting out of the water onto the icy/snowy shore. Great shot.

That's how I bought mine!
02-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Inactive Account

How far is Kamloops from Vancouver? I was in Vancouver last August to shoot a wedding. Nice city. I didn't get to see too much as I had my hands full. In September my wife and I went on a cruise to Victoria, also a beautiful place.
02-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
How far is Kamloops from Vancouver? I was in Vancouver last August to shoot a wedding. Nice city. I didn't get to see too much as I had my hands full. In September my wife and I went on a cruise to Victoria, also a beautiful place.
Kamloops is about a 3 hour drive east of Vancouver, in the interior of B.C.
02-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Artyste,

I had my hands on a K10D twice in a Henry's store around my area. One of my credit cards can finally cover it and I was so tempted. But I have to resist the urge! Lenses and flash first, master my K100D, then eyes on the prize. LOL.
02-17-2007, 11:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Artyste,

I had my hands on a K10D twice in a Henry's store around my area. One of my credit cards can finally cover it and I was so tempted. But I have to resist the urge! Lenses and flash first, master my K100D, then eyes on the prize. LOL.
I've gone as far as I can with my *ist Ds, so worrying about anything other than the K10D in my case is simple foolishness.

However, if your credit card has room for one for *ME*.. I'm all yours. lol
02-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I've gone as far as I can with my *ist Ds, so worrying about anything other than the K10D in my case is simple foolishness.

However, if your credit card has room for one for *ME*.. I'm all yours. lol
Now that's an idea. It may definitely cure my GAS and LBA at the same time for sometime (j/k)
02-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mississauga

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Artyste,

Way off topic..I see you live in Mississauga. My Ex was from Mississauga and her whole family and about 300 other people witnessed one of the biggest UFO flaps in recent Canadian UFO-logy history. Three large discs hovered over the main nuclear reactor and remained quite stationary for several hours eventually taking off directly at about 12 O'Clock at speeds that were unheard of and still are. They were witnessed by firemen, police, the press etc. hovering for hours near the opening of the reactor in the early 80's. It made the news in a big way...Hmmm UFO's, Penta X-Files?

Ben

Last edited by benjikan; 02-18-2007 at 12:51 AM.
02-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
AF-C bugs me too. I like the shot with the duck on the way to take off to the flight across the lake.

One more happy customer
AF-C is okay when you have a lens that has fast AF. I use it quite often with my FA*300/f4.5 and mult-focus point focussing, it works well with birding if you don't try to shoot flying birds in an expanse of plain sky! However with my Tamron 1.4x TC it slows down too much and the AF-C is a pain.

I expect it will truly come into it's own with the new SDM lenses.

With certain lenses (usually longer FL's and smaller apertures, i.e. DA 50-200 at 200mm, FA 28-105 at 105mm and Tamron 70-300 Di at 300mm) I have found that the AF is much quicker getting 'focus lock' with SR 'off' in low light scenarios (about EV 4 or less).

If you find your K10D hunting in low light, try it without SR. I know it almost defeats the object somewhat, but at ev 4 you should be using a tripod anyway! But just be aware of it. Steve Jacob has confirmed that it's the same on his K10D as well as mine, so it's unlikely to be an isolated case.

With SR off it is as quick and positive as my MZ-S which is still the best focussing Pentax SLR I've had to date. In reasonable light SR seems to have little or no effect on focus lock.

For a table of exposure values look here
Exposure value - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia