Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

K-02 FF anyone?

Anyone would like to have a K-Mount FF with EVF?

03-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Anyone would like to have a K-Mount FF with EVF?
Why ?
03-30-2017, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I would hope that any such camera improves on the Liveview use, since I find that to be far and away the most frustrating/semi-unusable aspect of the K-1. Slow/missed focus, terrible shutter lag time, etc. The articulating screen is great, LV... not so much. If I had to use my K-1 in LV only it would've lasted about half an hour.
03-30-2017, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, I would love a K-02 FF. Here's my wishlist, in order of importance:

- Articulated (flippy) LCD screen
- Eye level electronic viewfinder (rotatable like the Panasonic GX-7 / GX-8 would be great)
- Classic camera styling (much as I liked the K-01, it was too fashion-forward to be taken seriously.)

03-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I wrote a long thing and now I'm going with; what is the K-1 and Live View not doing for you currently?
03-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I seem to recall that Pentax said no until they were happy with the state of EVF technology. They have been down that road with the K-01, and handling in bright light can be problematic (when the rear screen is all you have for composition, a bright sunny day is not what you want). I can see obvious advantages (e.g. the possibility of a full-frame digital camera the size of the MX), but until Pentax sort out their in-house EVF tech concerns I suspect it won't be happening.
03-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

No.
If I wanted an EVF-equipped camera, I wouldn't want it to come with the DSLR's disadvantage - the large mirror box, and all that it implies.

03-30-2017, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
K-02

FF, EVF technology, better AF than SAFOX 99999, plastic but light, no mirror more box, tilting screen, protruding rear mount to compensate the K-mount flange, WR, with or without on board flash and paired with WR + PLM lenses and small primes.

I know this is not possible at this moment since Ricoh is going to for their Premium way (bigger, faster, heavier) but what is not to like in this K-02? Still great to be paired with the FA limiteds. And yeah just about the size of an MX or a Super Program would be great.
03-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd rather see a K-mount version of the Sony LA-EA4 adapter, so we wouldn't have to hear about how awful the video in the K-02 is compared to Sony, or how the A7/S/R/II/III/xxx is so much smaller and less expensive, or how Pentax chose the wrong FF sensor and should have gone with more/less megapickels, or...

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
what is not to like in this K-02
It would cost more than the K-1 to develop and possibly bankrupt the company. I don't like that.
03-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
I would hope that any such camera improves on the Liveview use, since I find that to be far and away the most frustrating/semi-unusable aspect of the K-1. Slow/missed focus, terrible shutter lag time, etc. The articulating screen is great, LV... not so much. If I had to use my K-1 in LV only it would've lasted about half an hour.
That is one way to look at a problem, though it's akin to using a wrench as a hammer. Yes, the wrench has enough
mass to drive a nail and yes, the wrench could be more hammer-like if you modified it a bit. Or you could use the wrench
as a wrench and grab a hammer when need.

I guess I see Liveview as an aid when the viewfinder simply will not do, like shooting at an odd angle where you can't
align your eye through the viewfinder to take a shot. Otherwise, the viewfinder is superior in most all respects for accurate
composition. Could the viewfinder be better with more sophisticated overlays? Sure, and that will probably happen to
all OVF/EVF systems over time. But a laggy liveview image on an LCD screen will never be a superior hammer.
03-30-2017, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, thank you. K-mount is not an MILC mount.
03-30-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #12

I am pretty happy with the K-01. Perhaps they make a K-02 aps someday.
What I want is a firmware update for the K-01 but they have stoped supporting it.

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 19:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No, thank you. K-mount is not an MILC mount.
why not? it is very nice as a milc too. it is silly when they say that the K-01 is very big to be a milc. in fact it is much smaller than dslrs. only it is not petite like a compact camera but that's for better because petite cameras don't stand well in the hand.
03-30-2017, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #13

Having a K01 and having grown to like the little beast which I only bought it because it was a close out I would like a FF K02. I really don't want a small camera look at how small the Sony's are there just tiny like a toy. Of course a mirrorless in the K mount would be great if it had a view finder. Production cost without the mirror assembly are less and weight is reduced. Another reason of course I would like to see K mount in mirrorless is the number of K mount lenses I have. I think eventually all new cameras will be mirrorless it just makes cost and production sense.
03-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ Are you including in Cost of mirrorless the Capital investment in new tooling to produce the lower costs, the process design engineering R&D Cost to specify that new tooling, and the R&D cost to design an entirely new line of products to make with those tools that does not utilize any of you existing catalog of tools, manufacturing designs and patents?

I didn't think so. MILC is significantly more expensive than dSLR for companies like Pentax, Nikon and Canon that have a huge catalog of existing capital investments and corporate intelligence.

You can't make a (good) MILC from dSLR parts.
03-30-2017, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #15

I have a K-1 but would gladly supplement it with a lightweight K-02. This would be ideal with my FA Limiteds and the lovely D FA 28-105mm (plus the planned ultra wide angle lens).

I do like my K-01s - especially the progressive design, but dependency on the rear screen for viewing it is a serious drawback. It's a problem for long sighted people (most of us over 45), makes the camera difficult to hold steady at arms length, and simply doesn't work in bright light due to reflections.

I really want Pentax to bring out an updated version of the K-01 with hopefully most of the following:
  • EVF - a must have,
  • 36mp FF sensor,
  • Same styling by Marc Newson,
  • with improved ergonomics (some button positions need correcting),
  • Slimmer body (grip apart) and an 'aperture ring' to maintain flange distance for existing K-mount lenses and free up the rear dial for shutter speed or +/- exposure,
  • Improved focus speed/accuracy,
  • Larger buffer,
  • Faster frame rate,
  • HD video, 60 f.p.s. (non interlaced) with mechanical IBIS,
  • Dump the flash,
  • Add gps,
  • Full IBIS features (astro tracer, PS, horizon correction, etc),
  • Rotatable screen (like K-S2, K-70),
  • Touch screen (including focus points),
  • More focus points - not just around the middle,
  • USB3,
  • WiFi, and of course
  • Weather sealed.

Notwithstanding the above list, I would like Pentax to maintain the concept of simplicity which makes the K-01 such a nice camera to use. I know most Pentax Users don't like the K-01 styling, but it really appeals to me, t'was ahead of its time in that respect. For those who prefer retro styling there's the new KP or indeed the venerable K-1

Of course, your preferences may differ; these are just my own.