Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You do not understand the game at all.

I am a stakeholder of my own wallet and I can only sing songs of praise for any manufacturer who raises prices of stuff that I already own. It increases the value of my existing inventory, so I can sell for more if I would want that.
Bravo for raising prices for the K-1 and the DFA*

And as a consumer I also really hope that the newly anounced clunky primes (50/1.4 et al) are published at really, really high prices far beyond the $2,200 that are the fair benchmark value. The more money other weird people spend, the better for the R&D for later products which I might like. I think the primes should start selling at $3,000 and stay there for the next 3 years.
If you were a merchant, this would make sense, but there it doesn't make much sense. But the marchant doesn't sell at retail pricer wait for an increase in price and resell. Merchant pay far less for the thing than us and ask for more, in exchange for having the product available when we want it, to pay for his shop or website, to pay for the VAT, his own time etc. That why we pay €2000 to him but he paid it maybe €1200...

What the benefit of K1 being more expensive in reality, not your psychology of how much richer you feel ?

Can you buy the higher end FF K2 and reduce the difference thanks to the raise K1? Well there no K2 for now, and it would have got the price raise too. It would have only broaden the gap. Not interresting...

Do you plan to resell all your Pentax gear that increased in value for a cheaper rig, maybe Pentax entry level gear or just a competitor? Doesn't look like it...

Do you plan to just stop photography and take your benefits? Doesn't look like it...

Finally what happen if you gear stop working after warrenty or is stolen? Insurrance would apply to the price you paid, and the new gear is now more expensive. That would be a loss.

What happen if you love the thing to much and want 2 bodies to swap lenses faster? You'd have to spend more...

This doesn't make any sense to be happy of that situation. There no case likely to happen where it is beneficial.

If I want to make €200-400, I take a week of oncall at my job. I may be or may not be called at any time. But that's just one week and often I am not called. Other may work a few day more. The same more days they'd have to spend now if there are to acquire Pentax gear. And in all case the money spent there,
Money is no more in the bank or spent elsewere. Like the food for one month, vacations for a weekend, almost the price for a return trip from europe to NY (more like $500)... So if like many you can't really get more money, it does mean there something else you'll not get.

If I want to make some money with my gear, the best BY FAR is to buy it cheaper. What I'll not do is to buy expensive and new and hope for it to be ever more expensive so I'd have smaller loss by selling used.

This is economics 101.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-05-2017 at 11:50 PM.