Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2008, 08:10 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
If you like to use the auto focus on the dslr, then, you need to focus on the subject, then, using spot metering, press the ae-l button while the camera is focussed on the subject. .. this will record and hold the reading for about 30 seconds (this time can be customised if you scour the menu system). While the reading is being held for this 30 seconds or so, you have time to refocus ( just to make sure it's right!) and, holding the shutter half way down to keep the focus locked, do your reframing to put the prefocussed subject on the edge of the frame at the edge of the dark tunnel. That way the subject will be in focus and correctly exposed.

There are other ways of getting the focus and exposure onto the same day in tricky situations, using ev compensation and other arcane things, if you really like to take 64 steps to cover a yard. By then, your subject will have walked off. Or flown away. Or died of boredom.
That's why M mode - despite people's initial reservations - turns out to be much *easier* than the auto modes in msot respects. Hit green button and exposure is done. Then focus however the heck you want - MF or AF. It's not complicated *at all* and takes a fraction of a second. And much of the time, you can hit green button then let the exposure ride for quite a while (till the light changes).

QuoteQuote:
It's just another example of all this automation making life far more complicated than it needs to be! (Maybe I should buy a Leica M6... manual everything!)
You don't need a manual camera to take advantage of manual modes - just move your dial to M...

08-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You are quite right, Marc ;-) It was a tongue in cheek remark when saying I might need to buy an M6... just being a bit crusty... In fact I do use my K10 in M mode quite often. Sometimes I find it easier than trying to sus out what the camera is doing, then having to work out how to over-ride it quickly. That comes from using film slr's (even 2 1/4 inch folding Zeiss cameras!) before the days of built in meters. Really, each mode on offer has its own time to shine, and I'm glad they're all available. It's one of the reasons I chose the K10. I really like having the front and rear "wheels" controlling aperture and shutter speeds in the M mode. It makes exposure compensation so easy! The green button is a brilliant little thing. I love it! Gives you an instant starting point to work from in tricky situations.