Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wife asks questions I can't answer...

Well, I'm going along taking shots with my K100D learning by doing, and my wife picks up the Operating Manual and starts asking me questions I should be able to answer but can't.

First she asks how do the three settings for "focusing area" (p128) interact with the the three "metering method" settings (p136) and how does the on/off "linking the AE Point and AE" change either, neither or both?

Then she adds if the camera manufacturer has some settings as the "default" shouldn't those be the best? Then why was I using other settings?

I was flummoxed, I tried the old dodge of it depends...but she didn't buy it. I need some help, I'm too new at this to know enough to explain a little. I need some help,
FHPhotographer

08-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Tell her real men don't read manuals so you don't have a clue what she's talking about.

She'll understand.
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

"the manual?" I swear mine is telling me how to assemble a bbq !
08-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Damn Brit

the difference between men and women is...............men don't have to read the manual to not understand it

08-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteQuote:
First she asks how do the three settings for "focusing area" (p128) interact with the the three "metering method" settings (p136) and how does the on/off "linking the AE Point and AE" change either, neither or both?
Sorry. I cant really help you there, I only use manual lenses & center weighted metering, and never fully read the instruction manual for my K110D... however I think the DA lenses can link the AF point and the AE (autoexposure) when using multi-segment metering. I think? I don't know what that means though....

QuoteQuote:
then she adds if the camera manufacturer has some settings as the "default" shouldn't those be the best? Then why was I using other settings?
no, they are the default because they are the easiest settings to get a good photo without trying, that defeats the purpose of having an SLR and learning photography. it would also defeat the purpose having other settings.

Last edited by séamuis; 08-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.
08-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually depends is the correct answer, the problem is it looks like you don’t know what it depends on. As to the question about the factory defaults that depends. Lets look at the last one first. On a P&S the point is to make it hard for the user to take a bad photo. The factory defaults are all about making it hard to take a bad photo. On a DSLR this is not the cause. On a DSLR it is all about giving the photographer control and technical quality (low noise, color stuff like that) of the photo.

Now on a DSLR the factory defaults are to more likely (but not guaranteed) to give a better photo or just a starting point that most photographers will use.

Now as to why not the link a focal point to a metering point. Lets say you have something that is a little brighter in front of something darker. The front thing you want in focus but you don’t want the back thing all black. So you focus on the front and meter on the back. If you do it right it looks good and if not it is garbage.

A DSLR makes it a lot easer to take a bad photo if you don’t think about what you are doing. If you are into learning and thinking about this stuff you can get to the point that you can visualize the end photo set the camera and get what you see in your head.

DAZ
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Actually depends is the correct answer, the problem is it looks like you don’t know what it depends on. As to the question about the factory defaults that depends. Lets look at the last one first. On a P&S the point is to make it hard for the user to take a bad photo. The factory defaults are all about making it hard to take a bad photo. On a DSLR this is not the cause. On a DSLR it is all about giving the photographer control and technical quality (low noise, color stuff like that) of the photo.

Now on a DSLR the factory defaults are to more likely (but not guaranteed) to give a better photo or just a starting point that most photographers will use.

Now as to why not the link a focal point to a metering point. Lets say you have something that is a little brighter in front of something darker. The front thing you want in focus but you don’t want the back thing all black. So you focus on the front and meter on the back. If you do it right it looks good and if not it is garbage.

A DSLR makes it a lot easer to take a bad photo if you don’t think about what you are doing. If you are into learning and thinking about this stuff you can get to the point that you can visualize the end photo set the camera and get what you see in your head.

DAZ
Yeah...what he said.

c[_]

P.S. I really liked the comment about men not needing to read a manual to not know what they are talking about.
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteQuote:
so it just automatically sets a + or - EV according to the metered light in front or behind of the AF point?

08-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
DAZ
Veteran Member

I was just giving an example of one thing you may do. What you are doing when you have the camera link the points it tell it that whatever point it is using to focus on is the point to use to meter with. If they are not linked then you can have one point meter and some other point as the focus.

A DSLR is about the most complicated and sophisticated consumer device you can buy. With that in mind there is more then one thing in the DSLR toolbox you can use to get the photo. One is to use the EV compensate up or down. You could just take the photo and look at it then make some change. You could depend on the greater dynamics range the DSLR may give you and compensate PP. The point is that a DSLR can give you ways to take the photo that a P&S may not.

DAZ
08-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
so it just automatically sets a + or - EV according to the metered light in front or behind of the AF point?
The link is only effective when you are in matrix metering. It uses the area of the screen in which the focusing point is active to set the exposure. So if you are using auto focus point selection with multi segment metering, whichever focus point the camera uses will be set as the not-quite-spot metering area.
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
Pentaxian

tell her...

if you told her the answer, you'd have to kill her afterwards
08-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What is matrix metering? The same as multi-segment metering (p136) ?
FHP
08-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
say what?

QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
Now as to why not the link a focal point to a metering point. (...) So you focus on the front and meter on the back.DAZ
I'm not sure I understand. I'm guessing I should know this, but it never occured to me to focus on one section and meter another. How would I do that?
FHP
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote
I'm not sure I understand. I'm guessing I should know this, but it never occured to me to focus on one section and meter another. How would I do that?
FHP
If you wanted to force that to happen, point the camer at the area you want to meter (using center-weighted or spot metering), hit the AE-L button to lock exposure in an auto mode or hit green button to set metering in M mode. Then recompose and focus normally. Actually, I use center-point focus too, so after metering, I'd point at the subject I want to focus on, half-press, then compose the way I actually want the picture to look and finishing pressing the shutter.

I'd do this if the subject I wanted in focus was unusually dark or light. I'd pick a more representative target for metering first.

To answer the original question, as far as I know there is no direct relationship between the focus point selection and the metering mode. Focus point selection affect focus point. Metering options affect metering. The only connection is if you have the option selected to link them AF point to metering, and even then only when using multi-segment metering. In this case, the area chosen as focus point is used by the metering algorithm in some unspecified way to influence the metering - presumably by giving extra weight to the segment containing the focus point.

And yes, matrix = multi-segment.
08-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Not really. EV compensation doesn't change - the basic exposure does. This would be like saying that altering ISO automatically sets EV compensation. It doesn't - it changes the basic exposure. You can then still apply compensation on top of that.

But the basic effect is of course the same - exposure is increase or decreased.