Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2017, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Advertising is expensive. If Ricoh is trying to rebuild Pentax in the midst of a meltdown of the camera industry, it makes sense that they are very strict about Pentax living within their means, and focusing on the domestic Japanese market, where they still have strong name recognition (and we have almost NO visibility). This strategy appears to be working: Pentax was reported as profitable last year, when bigger camera companies were not.

I am less worried now about Pentax' future than I was in 2010. The way things looked then, I really thought the K-5 might be the LAST Pentax DSLR.
ok, some thoughts about this:

when I was in active practice I used to tell clients:

"we are in the tornado alley of the United States. It is possible that a tornado will hit this building in the next 10 seconds, do you want to count or should I?

now if I go home and not help with the kid and/or the dogs, it is probable that I will get in trouble.

worry about the probabilities not the possibilities"

on the other hand I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law -

"any thing that can go wrong will go wrong"

and Finnegan's corollary to it: "Murphy was an optimist"

and I am a long time Chicago Cub fan and am aware of Mike Royko's adage:

"there is a glass of beer on the bar

the optimist sees it as half full

the pessimist sees it as half empty

the Cub fan looks at it and wonders when it will get knocked over"

Royko was the long time Chicago newspaper columnist - winner of the 1972 Pulitzer Prize for commentary.

GO CUBS GO

Fly the W

03-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
If Ricoh is trying to rebuild Pentax in the midst of a meltdown of the camera industry, it makes sense that they are very strict about Pentax living within their means,
I think this is pretty close to the truth - when the future market is uncertain you go conservative.
This is as true of Canon, Nikon and Sony as it is of Pentax.

Last edited by wildman; 03-30-2017 at 04:25 PM.
03-30-2017, 05:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Oh noes...does this mean that Pentax is once again doomed? What will I do with my money if there is no Pentax? Does anybody have any suggestions for any other capable camera manufacturer to throw it at? All these SoCaNiFu sorts are all terrible, there will literally be no photography at all if Pentax were to go.

I jest...I jest. But may I suggest worrying less about A.N.Corporation's bottom line and get on with enjoying your hobby?
03-30-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Since moving to Japan, I've been reassured by the degree of brand recognition that Pentax still enjoys here. In fact, the first friend I made at university here who told me they were interested in photography was a Pentax shooter - she's put about 50,000 clicks into a blue K-30 (keep those aperture blocks well exercised, kids!). When our photography society were looking for a second communal body, it was between the D7000 and K-5 IIs. Ricoh has a big Theta and GR display, with 360 degree VR simulator, in my local Yodobashi Camera. There's as much Pentax in there as Nikon and Canon.

Ricoh Imaging USA and Europe probably could do more to get a bit of the brand out there, even on a limited budget, and Ricoh here in Japan could probably do more to communicate with its imaging divisions elsewhere and streamline its publicity. Ricoh itself does publicise its product, though, even if it's only in the home market. But, given that it's its biggest market, perhaps that makes the most sense.

03-30-2017, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
"there is a glass of beer on the bar
the optimist sees it as half full
the pessimist sees it as half empty
the Cub fan looks at it and wonders when it will get knocked over"
And the engineer says "They made the glass too big."
03-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy many Pentax Forums t-shirts and wear them every day. Give them as gifts to friends and co-workers. Spread the word.
03-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Buy many Pentax Forums t-shirts and wear them every day. Give them as gifts to friends and co-workers. Spread the word.
Do we really want some of the clueless Canikon herd to come over?

Sigh ... I guess so, yes. A dollar is a dollar.

Actually, the members who have switched brands and joined this forum have been terrific contributors. More of those, please!

03-30-2017, 07:36 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Do we really want some of the clueless Canikon herd to come over?

Sigh ... I guess so, yes. A dollar is a dollar.

Actually, the members who have switched brands and joined this forum have been terrific contributors. More of those, please!
The most fervent zealots are converts...
03-30-2017, 10:55 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Even though we "secretly" wish that our gear will easily be recognized, I really dont care if Pentax gets big or small. As Adam said, so far as they are giving us good products on a regular basis.

My worry is having more third party support. Lenses, triggers, etc. Some want better tethering, bla bla.

But with all of these, there always seem to be a work around. And the people on this site have been supportive in that respect.

We all know what you are saying. But we also know the grass is never greener on the other side. Well known is not everything.

Culture.
03-31-2017, 08:53 AM   #25

FUD - definition of FUD in English | Oxford Dictionaries
03-31-2017, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

My forum profile says I have been a member since 2007 so going on 10 years. "Pentax is doomed." has been a common thread. It's getting a lot harder to find those threads since the K-1 was released. It covered a lot of the bases Pentax hadn't covered before, making the system viable for a lot more people. This is the actual low point of "pentax is doomed." When the D800 first came out, there was a thread complaining about all things Pentax every second day.
03-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My forum profile says I have been a member since 2007 so going on 10 years. "Pentax is doomed." has been a common thread. It's getting a lot harder to find those threads since the K-1 was released. It covered a lot of the bases Pentax hadn't covered before, making the system viable for a lot more people. This is the actual low point of "pentax is doomed." When the D800 first came out, there was a thread complaining about all things Pentax every second day.
I think Pentax isn't any more doomed than Nikon or Canon or Panasonic or Olympus or Fuji... The doom and gloom is probably more about driving conversation.

All face challenges but so far so good.
03-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And the engineer says "They made the glass too big."
As does the bean counters, make the glass smaller but still charge the same price
03-31-2017, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #29

Pentax was almost a joke under the Hoya ownership. Frequent product delays, lack of new products. The development of a FF model was entirely derailed. Pentax may not be growing as fast we like but they continue to develop and roll out new cameras and lenses, many of which are bang for the buck competitors in the marketplace. While many of their competitors like Canon, Nikon and Sony are struggling during a difficult time in the changing camera market place, Pentax seems to be modestly successful. Rapid expansion or aggressive product introduction would n't serve the brand well at this time. I'm quite happy with the Ricoh ownership and how they are shepherding the brand for sustainability. We've had relatively few quality control issues (unlike Nikon) and we have seen nothing like Nikon's cancelling of an entire camera line (DL) .Don't worry, be happy, that we have a viable brand heading into the future.
03-31-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I look at how well received the K1 is, FF lens roadmap, price point and value of the 645z, introduction of the KP with the implied announcement of a new flagship this fall, I can't help but think Pentax is meeting some level of corporate success. I don't think Ricoh would be adhering to this as they are if it was flopping. And what the heck, I bought another new lens today. Pentax ought to make it until at least the end of next week....