Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 03:50 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I joined this site in 2014 and then people were always bickering about how doomed Pentax was, and with no drop in contribution the pessimism has dwindled and for good reason. As someone who really only initially got into Pentax because K-01s were dirt cheap I have no problem continuing my upgrade path with the brand.

04-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Even though we "secretly" wish that our gear will easily be recognized, I really dont care if Pentax gets big or small. As Adam said, so far as they are giving us good products on a regular basis.

My worry is having more third party support. Lenses, triggers, etc. Some want better tethering, bla bla.

But with all of these, there always seem to be a work around. And the people on this site have been supportive in that respect.

We all know what you are saying. But we also know the grass is never greener on the other side. Well known is not everything.

Culture.

I showed a few of my cameras to friends, they couldn't differentiate my late Canon 350D from my actual Pentax K-50 and one of them said that both my Praktica L-2 and Spotmatic II were identical. :-\
04-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I showed a few of my cameras to friends, they couldn't differentiate my late Canon 350D from my actual Pentax K-50
Did... did they not hold them?
04-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
As I look at how well received the K1 is, FF lens roadmap, price point and value of the 645z, introduction of the KP with the implied announcement of a new flagship this fall, I can't help but think Pentax is meeting some level of corporate success. I don't think Ricoh would be adhering to this as they are if it was flopping. And what the heck, I bought another new lens today. Pentax ought to make it until at least the end of next week....
LBA will exist even if Pentax does crash !😄

04-02-2017, 06:03 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
LBA will exist even if Pentax does crash !😄
I'm working on the theory that LBA will keep us (Pentax) going for quite some time, one lens at a time

And what a great reason to get out and experiment - another lens, another perspective - all great fun

I think I'm also keeping Western Digital in business. Almost time to buy another couple TB of storage.....
04-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ricoh may close shutter on personal camera business

Ricoh may close shutter on personal camera business- Nikkei Asian Review
04-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No - that's false news, See Ricoh Stays Committed to Cameras & Pentax Brand - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

04-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote

What are all your opinion on this subject?
This is an old subject. It is sort of kept alive here:

Are we really THAT rare? - PentaxForums.com
04-12-2017, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I should start shooting more and read a little less.
04-12-2017, 06:38 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lucky-Luc Quote
Maybe I should start shooting more and read a little less.
Shoot more. Post more. Sleep less.

04-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My forum profile says I have been a member since 2007 so going on 10 years. "Pentax is doomed." has been a common thread. It's getting a lot harder to find those threads since the K-1 was released. It covered a lot of the bases Pentax hadn't covered before, making the system viable for a lot more people. This is the actual low point of "pentax is doomed." When the D800 first came out, there was a thread complaining about all things Pentax every second day.
I started reading here in 2007 and joined when I bought a K10D just before K20D appeared. For about a year the Forum was vibrant and full of discussion of everything from elderly film cameres to how to Meter M lenses. Much of the cultural knowledge of the Forum was created by those first few thousand members.

Then Hoya started dumping lenses, dismantling Regional distribution and shelving product development. Ricoh's Hoya's American President blogged about how fabulous his Leica was. One by one those early, curious, creative members jumped ship, got bored, changed brands to protect their businesses, died or just quit and, things got dark.

PentaxIsDoomed(tm) was a sardonic lament by die-hards ("Thank you Sir. May I have another?"), without whom we might not be here today - but today's cautious optimism is so easily reversed because Hoya truly destroyed trust in the brand.

Ricoh has much work to do outside Japan.This kind of poor journalism couldn't come at a worse time, potentially disrupting momentum dearly bought.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-13-2017 at 12:20 PM.
04-12-2017, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #42
Pentaxian

All the founders are gone, what's left are die hards, and the Forum isn't what it was?

I'm supposed to be the grumpy old man here.
04-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Then Hoya started dumping lenses, dismantling Regional distribution and shelving product development. Ricoh's American President blogged about how fabulous his Leica was.
Serious question - do you mean Hoya's American President or is this about two different times in the past?
04-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Serious question - do you mean Hoya's American President or is this about two different times in the past?
Hoya's American President. Corrected above.
04-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hoya's American President. Corrected above.
OK - that makes more sense to me. Hoya's ownership was a dark chapter in Pentax... .