Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

HELP: sensor cleaning mishap!!

I have been taking a lot of digital pictures this summer with my new k10d ( i got it for xmas). Though I use changed lenses quite a few times, I seldom do it in the open or in the car to avoid getting dust in the camera, and the auto cleaning had been doing a good job so far.

A couple of weeks ago there seemed to be a piece of dust shooting up on my shot that just would not go away. No biggie, it was bound to happen eventually. So I got a a blower ( one of those compressed air canisters sold at a local camera store), used the clean ccd feature and gave it a few quick puffs. dust gone.

But what I noticed ( today actually) was that i had a grouping of .. "spots"... not dust more like "wet stains" if that makes sense. I am afraid that I may have hosed the camera while trying to blow it out.

Obviously, the sensor cleaning is not going to take care of this and more compressed air may just worsen the problem. is there a way/ reasonable service .. I can look for to clean my camera sensor? This may be something i got myself into, but I would hope nothing so serious that it will permanently handicap the performance of my new camera .

Thank you all for all you advice

08-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by dresden_phoenix Quote
I have been taking a lot of digital pictures this summer with my new k10d ( i got it for xmas). Though I use changed lenses quite a few times, I seldom do it in the open or in the car to avoid getting dust in the camera, and the auto cleaning had been doing a good job so far.

A couple of weeks ago there seemed to be a piece of dust shooting up on my shot that just would not go away. No biggie, it was bound to happen eventually. So I got a a blower ( one of those compressed air canisters sold at a local camera store), used the clean ccd feature and gave it a few quick puffs. dust gone.

But what I noticed ( today actually) was that i had a grouping of .. "spots"... not dust more like "wet stains" if that makes sense. I am afraid that I may have hosed the camera while trying to blow it out.

Obviously, the sensor cleaning is not going to take care of this and more compressed air may just worsen the problem. is there a way/ reasonable service .. I can look for to clean my camera sensor? This may be something i got myself into, but I would hope nothing so serious that it will permanently handicap the performance of my new camera .

Thank you all for all you advice
You are not supposed to use those compressed air cans to clean the sensor. I believe the manual warns against it. I'm not sure how you can fix the camera. Is it still under warranty ?
08-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
well crap.

I feel quite stupid. How can I be sure I didnt damage it? I mean This is but the second time I used anything to clean the camera so if compressed air damaged it then it was instantaneous?

I assume pentax has a 12 month warranty . But the camera was bought from Beachcamera ( online store). I doubt their warranty pertains to anything more than DOA.

Is there a test I can do? could this be just condensation( I mean the CCD is NOT directly exposed after all, only the surface "glass") ...
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well crap.

I feel quite stupid. How can I be sure I didnt damage it? I mean This is but the second time I used anything to clean the camera so if compressed air damaged it then it was instantaneous?

I assume pentax has a 12 month warranty . But the camera was bought from Beachcamera ( online store). I doubt their warranty pertains to anything more than DOA.

Is there a test I can do? could this be just condensation( I mean the CCD is NOT directly exposed after all, only the surface "glass") ...
Take the camera to a camera shop and ask them to clean the sensor. What has happened is that the propellant from the compressed air can is on the sensor. This is why they are not recommended.

08-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

You probably need a wet sensor cleaning. With the proper methods, many of us do it ourselves. Easier than hanging drywall, but like drywall, you can screw up if careless.

I found this link on sensor cleaning very useful when I first had to clean my K100D several years ago.
08-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably just get your local camera sensor cleaner to do this wet prep clean for you. It should come out good after that.
08-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm another vote for the store doing the cleaning for you this time.

Those cans do work alright, however there are a few precautions you must take.
The first being to purge the system (blow it out quickly) before you try cleaning your camera.

The second being you MUST hold the can perfectly upright, or you have a good chance of spraying in some liquid.

I understand that this Green Clean sensor cleaning system uses those bottles, and is the cat's meow for sensor cleaning.
Although I haven't tried it yet.

08-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #8

Thats scary...

As for trusting the stores to know better thats wot the bloke at my local camera house did with mine when it needed cleaning, in the the can of compressed air.

Glad it never did any damage, Thanks for the heads up!
08-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #9

For minor dust don't use cans, a blower will do the job:

08-11-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Forum Member

I second the use of the Rocket Blower. It works quite well. But if you've used compressed air and now have liquid propellent stuck to your sensor (well, the low-pass filter in front of your sensor), it sounds like you'll need to do the wet cleaning with a swab and some Eclipse2. Best thing is probably to go to a local camera store and see if they can do it for you.

Once your sensor is clean again, you can rely on the Rocket Blower (about 8$, plus shipping) to take care of most sensor dust.
08-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
THANK YOU.

1) I was a bit panicky. This is my first digital camera ( I've had 2 previous film Pentax cameras, but never a dSLR). Though I am still going through what seems to me as rather weird learning curve... I am quite enamored of my new camera.

2) Somehow the blotches in the pics aren't as severe as yesterday. Last night I ran a test I found online( where you shoot a light colored surface.. camera out of focus..et all) . I could clearly see 3 grains of dust and the residue mentioned above. So, yeah I think need some wet cleaning.

I will probably NOT take it to the store that suggested using compressed air. Fortunately for me there are 2 other camera stores in town. One of which, I am told , is very Pentax friendly.

I will be sure to aquire one of these Rocket blowers too.
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

THANK YOU.

1) I was a bit panicky. This is my first digital camera ( I've had 2 previous film Pentax cameras, but never a dSLR). Though I am still going through what seems to me as rather weird learning curve... I am quite enamored of my new camera.

2) Somehow the blotches in the pics aren't as severe as yesterday. Last night I ran a test I found online( where you shoot a light colored surface.. camera out of focus..et all) . I could clearly see 3 grains of dust and the residue mentioned above. So, yeah I think need some wet cleaning.

I will probably NOT take it to the store that suggested using compressed air. Fortunately for me there are 2 other camera stores in town. One of which, I am told , is very Pentax friendly.

FWIW, I use canned gas routinely for sensor cleaning, but I am very careful with it, and haven't managed to damage anything yet.
There are differing qualities of canned gas available though, and I do spend the extra money for real Dust-Off rather than the 1/2 price knock-offs.
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Hi Erasmo

Have you tried THIS one.....????....LOL !!!!!!!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-24-2009 at 05:44 AM.
08-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha Richard.
Must have a turbo charged air stream for those tough spots.
08-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
THANK YOU.

Codiac2600 is one of the members here and he works in a camera store in Rockford. Looks like that may be the place to take it. Hope this helps.